Meet Maverick.......

Discussion in 'Check Out My Boat Customization' started by BrianS, May 27, 2015.

1. BrianS

BrianS Boatswain's Mate

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Sold......looking
    While I am waiting on the engine drama to play out I decided it was time to clean up the outside of Maverick. The Gelcoat was wearing thin and in fact in quite a few places it was worn through. This was never meant to be a total resto just a clean up........of course I got carried away. I learned quite a bit about shooting gelcoat and I do have a few places to rework but overall she came out nice.

IMG_1080.JPG IMG_1081.JPG IMG_1082.JPG IMG_1083.JPG IMG_1078.JPG IMG_1079.JPG IMG_1084.JPG

flytie, agarcia, sbsurfer and 2 others like this.
  2. Mark49

Mark49 Mark litwiler

Name:
    Mark Litwiler
    Boat:
    In search
    Looks like a fishy boat.

3. Thebonecollector

Thebonecollector Newbie

Name:
    cv
    Boat:
    Anderson 26
    Loving the thread! Keep up the pics and progress. Muchas gras

4. Calvin Cobb

Calvin Cobb Newbie

Name:
    Calvin Cobb
    Boat:
    Tree fish
    Do you still have trans ? 805 710 6350

5. BrianS

BrianS Boatswain's Mate

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Sold......looking
  6. SD2600

SD2600 Member

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    26' sea swirl
    Any updates?

7. BrianS

BrianS Boatswain's Mate

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Sold......looking
    Maverick has found it's way back down to SLO. The new owner is currently having an engine installed and making ready for spring. He is active on the boards here so you will probably hear more when he is ready to unveil.

One_Leg likes this.
  8. SD2600

SD2600 Member

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    26' sea swirl
    Must of been hard to let go... thanx for the thread

9. Thebonecollector

Thebonecollector Newbie

Name:
    cv
    Boat:
    Anderson 26
    Sorry for such a long delay. I would've posted earlier.. but with how much time, money, and sweat rebuilding maverick I forgot. I have to admit putting her up for the trolls and online warriors while battling finances, and the struggles that came with this adventure.. it didn't sound appealing until I was sure it could be accomplished.

When Brian sadly let Maverick go it was a joyous day for me, however we were both truly unaware how much TLC she needed...

First thing was first I needed an engine. I had a small budget, I'm an average joe. Similar to maverick's story I found a not so well taken care of KAD43 (230 horse power) coupled with a DP 290 outdrive very cheap, sale at 5k with 1,200 hours. The engine was put away wet and needed attention. Raw water pump, fuel pump, rebuild all injectors, pulleys, belts, hoses, and much more. Volvo... expensive. The icing on the cake though was that the engine had perfect compression and no leaks. In the end it'll all come out to a similar price.. Either buy an abused engine and spend money fixing it up or buy new. In my case it came out to definitely being much cheaper, but I still went wayyyy over my average joe budget... Thank you credit card...

I took the boat to channel island marine with greg and ken who specialize in putting used diesel engines in boats and just bad ass diesels in boats such as straight shafts etc. They are good at what they do, but extremely hard to communicate with and take much longer than estimate. One point it had been a month without hearing from them. Guess thats just how it goes in the boat world. When greg cut my outdrive hole I had a pleasant surprise of water leaking from my transom. A joyous day and phone call. From there I took the boat to Jeff Hull who cut the whole larger, got all the water out from the previous twin set up, and reglassed/heat sealed/ gel coated (the proper way of doing an outdrive hole).

Back to channel island marine and 2 months later I got the boat back. Fortunately the boat came with good electronics. New simrad and decent furuno radar. I added a new battery tandem charger and awesome lone star GX2 anchor winch. The boat came with some major metal fab work already done, which I am so grateful for.

After everything was done, now time for the trailer, which was in "good shape". After taking it apart it's nearly completely shot and the brakes haven't worked since the day I bought it.. Guess that's why its been pushing my f250 around...? haha. I'm contemplating what to do either electronic over hydraulic.. Still haven't decided. Also when I drove the boat home from purchasing it one of my loading guides fell off on the highway because it was lose so that was good. Those are the carpet things on the side of the boat attached to the trailer. Luckily no one was hurt, but I lost a sweet ladder and loading guide...

For now I'm putting the shot trailer back together, driving down to ventura on saturday for a sea trial. A friends birthday on Saturday and there will be all my college friends at scorpions campground on santa cruz and I'm not paying for a ferry ticket. So we'll see if she can make it or something goes wrong. I always have water towing insurance. Weather doesn't look great, but thats where having a big boat helps.

The engine looked very very bad when I bought it and now it actually looks pretty clean. Thanks greg and ken. I haven't had a chance to even clean it yet. It's been one stop after another.

Thank you for all your help, input, and advice to:
    Josh B. (noquestion), Colin (canyon), Josh owner of freddie (owner of davis boat freddie), and Johnny R. who are all on the boards.

IMG_2364.jpg IMG_2369.jpg IMG_2349.jpg IMG_2350.jpg IMG_1101.jpg IMG_2353.jpg

Who doesn’t love a nice simple easy to look at dash. No thousand gauges and vhf spread over it. Minimalism is great on boats.

I'll take some more pictures soon because I've put it together much better than the pictures. These were taken right when I picked it up so I've had time to put the carpet back together and tidy up. I'll start to update this thread more often.

IMG_1241.JPG

This was at channel island marine getting an engine put in. The wilson was getting a straight shaft. Talk about a boat.... wow

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  10. BrianS

BrianS Boatswain's Mate

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Sold......looking
    Looking good Cameron.......every time I look at my side yard I miss her.

11. JWBass02

JWBass02 Newbie

Name:
    J B
    Boat:
    1972 Seacraft 20'
    Looks sweet. What are all the PVC pipes in the engine compartment for?

12. Mickdick

Mickdick Member

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Parker 2310
    Stoked!!!! Glad to see this beauty back on the water...

13. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    I'm guessing it's the air supply for the engine

sbsurfer, Johnnywood and knot keely like this.
  14. Johnnywood

Johnnywood Newbie

Name:
    Johnny
    Boat:
    Anderson 22
    Get her in the water! great job on the rebuild

15. Thebonecollector

Thebonecollector Newbie

Name:
    cv
    Boat:
    Anderson 26
    Thanks for al the support guys.

The PVC was from previous alterations so I’m clueless, sorry.

Right now I’m waiting for a new aluminum trailer from Wayne at west coast trailers.

What is everyone’s opinions of torsion vs regular?

Sea trial is being post poned until the time is right.

InDeepShip likes this.