Mechanic Suggestions for fixing a leaking auto pilot hydraulic pump?

Long Beach Bob

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
It is an Octopus brand pump that assists with auto pilot steering on my 2003 Raymarine combo electronics package. Any recommendations on a repair shop within 50 miles of Long Beach? No luck so far....My Parker is becoming a dust collector...No help from the Parker dealer.....:(

Fearlessfiasco

Loco Leftist...
Jun 5, 2012
La Mesa
Name
Jeff
Boat
Sea Pro 170DC
Worst case scenario...I think you could probably find a replacement for around $600.

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
Jun 22, 2014
No Grave But the Sea
Name
Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
Boat
Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
Check with Tony at Fishing Boats Unlimited in Costa Mesa. Good group of guys.

stangclassic66

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
21' Center Console
Bob, this is just a hydraulic part. Should not be rocket science or talk about a new boat.

Post some pictures of what is leaking and where and I or we will try to help.

Reactions: Fearlessfiasco

Long Beach Bob

May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
Contacted Tony at Fishng Boats Unlimited...great suggestion...he determined the pump just needed a shaft seal and sent me off to chase it down at two supply houses to save me some money...Watched them mike the shaft and seal; a good learning experience for me on what to do next time.....He is scheduling my boat next week for the install, bleeding and checking out a leak back by engine ram...Nice guy.....good place to do business with...Now, if my boat doesn't catch any more viruses....:)

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" SOLD / PlainJaneRods
the seal itself should have a part number on it...

Reel Kahuna

Mar 24, 2011
Lake Camanche, CA
Name
Seon
Boat
23.5' Navigator Duckworth F150 Yamaha
As mentioned most hydraulic shop can probably fix it. Even a fork lift repair shop.

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
Here is a tip I have been using for 10 years to stop seal leaks in steering systems, trim and tilt on my boat, etc.

Automatic transmission stop leak like what Bars puts out. Put some into the reservoir and circulate it around by turning the steering system over and over or lift and raise the motor numerous times. Give it a few days and the leak should disappear. It swells and softens the rubber parts . It only works on minor leaks. If the seal is damaged, like with fishing line, the seal still has to be repared. If it doesn't work, you are only out a couple of bucks, but if it does work, you have just saved yourself a lot of money.