sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
I hit Edmonds this morning, water was bit lumpy for the dinghy but was fishable. I stayed till 10 and trolled in front of Edmonds to just past the oil docks a couple times and did not have a keeper size fish on. I saw two netted in my time out there so a few were caught but it definitely was not hot.

Jan 5, 2011
Kenmore WA
Name
Kurt Kettel
Boat
18' Tiderunner
Fished Meadow this morning...4 in the boat to 7-8lbs; nice fat coho...ended with a double...only problem is I flipped #1 fish into the transom so I could net second fish...should have bonked because buddy wrestled with the live specimen for about 10 seconds trying to hold him & plop, back he went. Next time quick bonk before transom visit...geesh! White UV squid with herring teasers; short leaders (24 & 26"). First fish at 32ft...second at 65, third & fourth at 70/90ft....checker said 170 fish yesterday at the same time we pulled out today...10 fish today so definitely slower today. Healthy fish this year (finally!) And, they even taste good (with a little fat in em!)

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
Seattle
Name
"Mulligan"
Boat
18' Tiderunner Runabout
Fished Meadow this morning...4 in the boat to 7-8lbs; nice fat coho...ended with a double...only problem is I flipped #1 fish into the transom so I could net second fish...should have bonked because buddy wrestled with the live specimen for about 10 seconds trying to hold him & plop, back he went. Next time quick bonk before transom visit...geesh! White UV squid with herring teasers; short leaders (24 & 26"). First fish at 32ft...second at 65, third & fourth at 70/90ft....checker said 170 fish yesterday at the same time we pulled out today...10 fish today so definitely slower today. Healthy fish this year (finally!) And, they even taste good (with a little fat in em!)
ahh, to be a fly on the wall for that. they don't call you the king for nothing! ;)

KaiChung

Almost A Member
Aug 10, 2009
Newcastle/WA/USA
Name
Kai
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 28.5
Yesterday was hot. I got my two in an hour. Decided to take my kid this morning. Holy hell - the weather forecast said 4mph wind. My ass. I was going sideways the entire time. Kid got sick. Wasn't pretty. There's gotta be a better wind app rather than weather.com or the weather app on the iPhone.

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
Seattle
Name
"Mulligan"
Boat
18' Tiderunner Runabout
Yesterday was hot. I got my two in an hour. Decided to take my kid this morning. Holy hell - the weather forecast said 4mph wind. My ass. I was going sideways the entire time. Kid got sick. Wasn't pretty. There's gotta be a better wind app rather than weather.com or the weather app on the iPhone.
There is. Windy.

Reactions: KaiChung

CodigoRojo

Sep 21, 2017
Seattle
Name
Rick
Boat
Arima 17
The NWS marine forecast nailed it with 5-15 and 2 ft wind waves. I thought they were being pessimistic. Windy doesn't work for MA10. None of the models they show (ECMWF/WAM, GFS/Wavewatch, NAM) even know there's water in the sound or Olympics on the peninsula, so they don't get the wind/waves right for the inland waters.

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
Windy does get it wrong sometimes in the sound but it is the best and easiest site I have found. I use the ECMWF forecast and only look at their wind forecast. If it calls for 6-7+ knots I know its going to be lumpy which was the case today.

Reactions: KaiChung

CodigoRojo

Sep 21, 2017
Seattle
Name
Rick
Boat
Arima 17

This is the link for the NWS puget sound marine forecast. It may not be pretty like windy but the info is vastly better. Unfortunately the NWS is a federal agency and as we all know is about 20 yrs behind the curve in general. That's not the case for their actual content though, which is as good as it gets. So if content matters more than look and feel, then use the NWS. It's actually easier than looking at windy, based on total clicks to get the info you want. I've been a meteorologist for the past 25 years, worked at the NWS for a couple early in my career. And although I look at the maps and models more than anyone you know, I still rely on the NWS as the gold standard.

Side note, hit Shilshole from 6-8 this morning before work. Marked tons of fish, couldn't get them to bite.

Reactions: Tish

CodigoRojo

Sep 21, 2017
Seattle
Name
Rick
Boat
Arima 17
Nice job bdrigion. Most of my sessions have been 2 hour tours lately. They're fun when the bite is on. Day before yesterday I got skunked as well. Talking to the fish counter at the launch on the way out he said the fish he opened up were all stuffed with herring to the point of overflowing. I wonder if all those fish I'm seeing on the sonar are just not hungry? Seems doubtful, I mean do they actually get "full"? Are they that smart? Smarter than me I guess.

Reactions: bdrlgion
Aug 21, 2017
Covington
Name
Bryan
Boat
21NR Seahawk
Fished Sunday morning around the Shilshole area…

Ended the morning at 9:30-AM with a double!! 75 & 85 feet of cable seemed to be the magic numbers for us… Got one a herring aid spoon and the others on a hoochie with strip of herring.

IMG_8798.JPG

IMG_8800.JPG

IMG_8802.JPG

KaiChung

Almost A Member
Aug 10, 2009
Newcastle/WA/USA
Name
Kai
Boat
I haven't caught anything since Sunday. I went out Monday and Wednesday. Creel reports seem to indicate 1 fish for every 2.5 boats. Lots of fish on the sonar - but nothing big seems to want to bite. I was around Meadow Point yesterday and saw a bunch of boats but only 1 person catch anything.

CodigoRojo

Sep 21, 2017
Seattle
Name
Rick
Boat
Arima 17
I was out yesterday from low tide at 11 AM through about 1 PM. Nothing biting again. Running white spoon tipped with herring strip 70-100 feet of wire. It's so frustrating to see the fish down there but not even get a nibble. The big excitement was the one big shaker I nailed at noon. It was a lovely day to be on the water though. Reminded me of a couple weeks ago thought I hooked a monster, fought it for about 5 minutes, only to find out I tangled up on my brother's line! That was embarrassing. I swear his pole never moved the whole time. He probably knew all along.

OceanSun

Captain
Mar 26, 2013
Snohomish WA
Name
Dan Meyer
Boat
Ocean Dancer 21' Trophy
Haven't tried it yet this year because I've been getting bit on standard coho killers and hoochie/herring strip but... There was a season 10-12 years ago when they showed up with lockjaw - lots of fish showing but no bites. I'm not sure who started it but word got out that putting a red spin-n-glow in front of your hootchie elicited strikes. It worked and made that season much more productive for me. Anyone tried that this year? Going to rig a couple like that this weekend and give it a try.

KaiChung

Almost A Member
Aug 10, 2009
Newcastle/WA/USA
Name
Kai
Boat
Haven't tried it yet this year because I've been getting bit on standard coho killers and hoochie/herring strip but... There was a season 10-12 years ago when they showed up with lockjaw - lots of fish showing but no bites. I'm not sure who started it but word got out that putting a red spin-n-glow in front of your hootchie elicited strikes. It worked and made that season much more productive for me. Anyone tried that this year? Going to rig a couple like that this weekend and give it a try.

Can't hurt. The strategy is a bit like salmon in the rivers. Try to piss them off...

Reactions: EJ Swanny
Jan 5, 2011
Kenmore WA
Name
Kurt Kettel
Boat
18' Tiderunner
Keep us posted...I like the idea!

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
Can't hurt. The strategy is a bit like salmon in the rivers. Try to piss them off...

Absolutely, used to fish Vaughn/Rocky Bay near Allyn. Damn fish were jumping constantly, but had lock jaw. Had to put something red in front of their eyes with alot of vibration (Blue Fox Vibrex in Red). Most frustrating fishing in my life.....

Good luck guys.....

Hunter Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 30, 2011
Stauffer
Name
Dan
Boat
MUGWUMP
Bust out the old metal flashers too. F4 Piscator with a super short leader, 1-1.5 flasher lengths. More vibration in the metal blade. Adding a Colorado or willow leaf spinner in the middle of a leader can help too. Gotta piss em off.

Hunter Dan

Jun 30, 2011
Stauffer
Name
Dan
Boat
MUGWUMP
Another thought, if anyone is feeling brave. Try those big spinners guys troll for coho on the Columbia. Dave Lee of Three Rivers Marine suggested it at a PSA SnoKing meeting a number of years ago, but I never heard if anyone tried it.

Session

Jul 27, 2019
Seattle
Name
Tom
Boat
2019 Outback
This morning was super slow. Checker had counted 1 fish by 1130. One blackmouth, a few shakers, lots of seaweed and fog.

French guy in boat behing me pulling out said “it is time to head to zee rivers”!

May try south tomorrow?

Last edited:

Hunter Dan

Jun 30, 2011
Stauffer
Name
Dan
Boat
MUGWUMP
What best goes with those big metal flashers spoons? Hoochies?
Hoochies. I like herring strips hit with herring/anise , Lunker Lotion or Smelly Jelly liquid. Then VERY liberally sprinkled with pure krill powder. I usually rub the carked out herring all over the flasher every time I reset too. The krill is crucial, there's always a bunch in the coho.

Reactions: FISHTALE2

Siv

May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
Skunked out there today. With rain coming tomorrow it may be over for 2020 coho in 10.
Anybody do anything today? Fog was manageable and conditions were great otherwise.