Offshore MDR to SBI Tuna area 7/30 (no love)

Jul 21, 2014
SoCal
Name
Rick
Boat Name
Sailfish 22'
Left MDR at 6am towards SBI for BFT. No bait, trolled spreader bars, Nomad stuff, never used the kite, frozen Flyers, etc. Trolling with 100lb+ main and 200lb leaders.

Outboard issues right away (different story), so limited to 10 knots. Great weather, very safe 22' WA, Boat US, not turning around!!

**There were fish close to SBI, NE of the No Fish Border. Typical signs, then fish pushing water before fins coming out with more down 100' on the meter, only twice. We got there late, 12:30/1pm, there were two boats fishing the area and a boat with 3 spearfishing folks in the water. Divers looked very experienced, I hope they got some. No Love for us.

Trolled 107 miles on a 113 mile, 14 hour trip. No other tuna seen or metered.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Anonymous
Boat Name
None
You missed it by a day. This guy caught the tuna just in the Santa Monica Bay.

Upvote 0

bradnoble

Backcountry Snowboarder
Aug 8, 2009
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Name
Brad
Boat Name
19' Glasstron
Left MDR at 6am towards SBI for BFT. No bait, trolled spreader bars, Nomad stuff, never used the kite, frozen Flyers, etc. Trolling with 100lb+ main and 200lb leaders.

Outboard issues right away (different story), so limited to 10 knots. Great weather, very safe 22' WA, Boat US, not turning around!!

**There were fish close to SBI, NE of the No Fish Border. Typical signs, then fish pushing water before fins coming out with more down 100' on the meter, only twice. We got there late, 12:30/1pm, there were two boats fishing the area and a boat with 3 spearfishing folks in the water. Divers looked very experienced, I hope they got some. No Love for us.

Trolled 107 miles on a 113 mile, 14 hour trip. No other tuna seen or metered.

Hope this helps, good luck!
When you fix your engine, try trolling a Mad Mac...around 12-14 knots....

Upvote 0