MDR - Another Great B-Day Trip W/ Red Drum!

PENN

jscrib

Whale Cock
Apr 29, 2004
Santa Monica
Name
j
Boat
VS
Actually my birthday was Wednesday but, I was at Catalina with Jessica.

So, Vince took me out Friday night for an overnight trip. And a great trip it turned out to be.

Waiting for Vinnie.

PB182756.jpg

Plan was to hoop Friday night and hit a few rock fish spots in the morning.

Had a boat issue at first. Batteries were dead so Vince had to replace one dead battery with a new one. Charger wasn't working. Took some time and some teamwork but, we were finally out on the water by 715p.

Tried some new areas but, the tide was dropping quick and slack at 925p. In the first 40 nets we had 1 legal lobster and a couple crabs.

Decided to stay patient and keep at it. Still slow and by midnight we still only had 1 legal, a couple of shorts and 5 crabs. We continued to hold out hope that they would walk when the tide started moving good again and, that's exactly what happened.

At 2a, they crawled really good. Limits in the next 15 nets after pulling 60 + nets for 1.

Asleep by 4a after cleaning all the nets. Tired to say the least but, worth it.

Slept in late and woke up to Vince picking at some nice rockfish.

Capt. Vince with another big Brown!

PB192759.jpg

I was contemplating sleeping in longer but, after seeing Vince pull in another fish I got up.

First drop, slammed and nice copper comes to the boat.

PB192761.jpg

Dropped one more time and get slammed again. Two drops, two nice coppers on the Big Hammer X-Mas Tree swimmy. That was enough for me.

PB192762.jpg

14 Faces Of Food.

PB192766.jpg

Headed in under pre-storm cotton field skies.

PB192765.jpg

Thanks for another great B-Day trip Vince! In the 8 years now I've had the pleasure of getting to fish with you and becoming great friends, the fun just keeps getting better and better.

J

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2004
Yorba Linda
Name
Gary Nordyke
Boat
48 Pacemaker Gunslinger
Nice Jason. Great pic's. Persistence payed off for you guys. Nice batch of bugs and good looking Rk. fish. Thanks for the post. Gary

Upvote 0

IrieMitch

Waterman
May 18, 2010
Newport Beach, CA
Name
Mitch
Boat
Captain of Papa's Haven (52' Cabo), Thunderbird Sportfishing
Impressed you guys squeezed in a trip! Way to stay with it on the bugs. Yummmmmmmmmy

Upvote 0

tsurikichi

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2005
SoCal
Name
Ron
Boat
10' 2 1/64"
Hi jscrib,

Nice goin' and a just reward for all the hard work. Cold, wet, dark, not the scenerio I'd enjoy thus .... to each his or her own. Nice fin-fishys too !!

tsurikichi

Upvote 0

Reuben

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 23, 2008
Socal
Name
Reuben
Boat
Boat
Great job guys! You really earned those bugs! Thats a hard night! But also very rewarding! Scribey, I can never get captain Vince to stay up past 11pm. He's usually fading on me by then. What did you feed him to keep him to keep him up and working?

Upvote 0

timedjohnson

Mouth breather
Aug 14, 2009
Venice, ca
Name
Tim
Boat
Nokaoi 26
You guys put in some work - nice job! You looked wore out even from 200 yards away. I picked up some smaller sheepshead on the camo worms but that's about it.

Upvote 0

umoa

silent
Feb 28, 2006
unknown
Name
jimmy
Boat
18' starcraft "big knockers"
i am jealous.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Excellent haul.

Upvote 0

bajasurf

Almost A Member
Jul 8, 2010
La Mirada
Name
Todd
Boat
Boston Whaler montauk 170
Jscrib,
What size are the xmas trees and weight you were using if you dont mind me asking?
I've been switching over to the plastics since my new boat has no bait tank with some success on the bass, but havent tried them much with a lead head for rockfish.
Thanks

QUOTE=TRICKY_TRAN;2486975]BDAY TRIPA![/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

dkd711

Skunk Master...
Jun 7, 2008
Huntington Beach
Name
Duke
Boat
"WFO SKUNK"
We are gonna be at the ramp everyday until we can follow you guys! LOL

Nice catching report as always! Enjoy some Lobster and gravy for Thanksgiving.

Upvote 0