Offshore MD to NY Summer and Fall Tuna Trips?

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
Would like to do some yellowfin or bluefin trips between MD and NY this summer and fall.

Would prefer to cast jigs or poppers to those fish. Really don't want to troll all day for those fish. Fishing bait would be ok too.

Could I get some recommendations on big boats that I could ride for full day to 1.5 day trips.

Can't believe I'm asking this, but this is how spoiled I am from the San Diego fleet. Do these boats actually offer a bunk and any food if it is an overnight trip? Or are people bringing a mat and packing all the food they need and sleeping on the floor?

Are there rod racks on the boat for my rods and reels? I've seen some pictures of boats and they don't look like there are any rod racks at all. Would drive me crazy to see my gear thrown in a pile of stuff with other rods and reels...

Any suggestions or info is much appreciated. When do the fish usually start to move into range in these areas I am interested in?

Last edited:
Reactions: jiggermyster

rubberneck-man

North east fishing.....
Sep 22, 2017
ny
Name
john smith
Boat
my missy
In NJ - check out voyagerfishing.com (they have food program) and big Jamaica fishing
NY - Montauk and or the Viking Fleet
RI - Frances fleet
MA - Helen-H fishing out of the cape (also some boats that leave out of Gloucester)

NE - fishing is not San Diego fishing. The trips in the NE are usually 32 hour - 48 hour. They tend to get blown out a bit.

I know the Helen-h their tuna trips are Sept-October. They provide breakfast sandwiches (small fee) and coffee in the morning.....dinner at night. Bring water and some extra food. they have microwaves and stove on the boat. The boat leaves at 7am Saturday and returns around 5pm Sunday. It cruises at 20knots. takes 5-6 hours to get to the canyons. they tend to fish hydrographers and oceanographers canyons (eastern canyons from where the Montauk boats fish).

I've seen large big eye tuna, YFT, skipjack, long fin tuna and 90lbs wahoo's. Big mahi-mahi as well. Also see some big swords too....big tiger sharks...all sorts of sea life out there.

This past fall - they had plenty of bunks on the top deck that were covered. You really only sleep on the way out and the way back. The rest of the time you fish. Plenty of rod holders. They also have bunks down below...

When they get out to the edge - they do an afternoon troll. The boat provides the trolling gear. They run 7-8 rods on the back of the boat and split the anglers up into groups. The rods are numbered. Group A - 20 mins, then group B at 20 mins.etc..etc.next go around, if you started on rod 2, you are now at rod 3 and so on.

If they get a big fish on the troll......the other anglers can go jig at the front of the boat....and that's when things get really interesting. At night - the boat will either drift or anchor. You can set up for swords....throw a chunk bait out or jig if you want. In the morning....they do a morning troll....until around 11 am when they head north back to port.

The other boats will tend to fish the canyons that's closer to them...for example...the Montauk boats will veatch and block canyon.

The NJ boats can do Hudson canyon....maybe go down to Baltimore canyon.

These are generalizations of where these boats tend to go....not a guarantee where they will go.

B
blazingLion
Thanks for this information. As someone from NJ who wants to try out going for tuna, this covered a lot of the questions I had for what to expect.
Upvote 0

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
In NJ - check out voyagerfishing.com (they have food program) and big Jamaica fishing
NY - Montauk and or the Viking Fleet
RI - Frances fleet
MA - Helen-H fishing out of the cape (also some boats that leave out of Gloucester)

NE - fishing is not San Diego fishing. The trips in the NE are usually 32 hour - 48 hour. They tend to get blown out a bit.

I know the Helen-h their tuna trips are Sept-October. They provide breakfast sandwiches (small fee) and coffee in the morning.....dinner at night. Bring water and some extra food. they have microwaves and stove on the boat. The boat leaves at 7am Saturday and returns around 5pm Sunday. It cruises at 20knots. takes 5-6 hours to get to the canyons. they tend to fish hydrographers and oceanographers canyons (eastern canyons from where the Montauk boats fish).

I've seen large big eye tuna, YFT, skipjack, long fin tuna and 90lbs wahoo's. Big mahi-mahi as well. Also see some big swords too....big tiger sharks...all sorts of sea life out there.

This past fall - they had plenty of bunks on the top deck that were covered. You really only sleep on the way out and the way back. The rest of the time you fish. Plenty of rod holders. They also have bunks down below...

When they get out to the edge - they do an afternoon troll. The boat provides the trolling gear. They run 7-8 rods on the back of the boat and split the anglers up into groups. The rods are numbered. Group A - 20 mins, then group B at 20 mins.etc..etc.next go around, if you started on rod 2, you are now at rod 3 and so on.

If they get a big fish on the troll......the other anglers can go jig at the front of the boat....and that's when things get really interesting. At night - the boat will either drift or anchor. You can set up for swords....throw a chunk bait out or jig if you want. In the morning....they do a morning troll....until around 11 am when they head north back to port.

The other boats will tend to fish the canyons that's closer to them...for example...the Montauk boats will veatch and block canyon.

The NJ boats can do Hudson canyon....maybe go down to Baltimore canyon.

These are generalizations of where these boats tend to go....not a guarantee where they will go.

That’s a great reply. Thank you. Appreciate it!!!

Seems like it’s gonna be really different from San Diego fishing. No brailing bait and seeing fish start blowing up around the boat!!! Dang! :) :) :)

But that’s awesome. That gives me an idea of what happens on those trips.

Might try to go out of Ocean City, MD too.

Upvote 0

rubberneck-man

North east fishing.....
Sep 22, 2017
ny
Name
john smith
Boat
my missy
That’s a great reply. Thank you. Appreciate it!!!

Seems like it’s gonna be really different from San Diego fishing. No brailing bait and seeing fish start blowing up around the boat!!! Dang! :) :) :)

But that’s awesome. That gives me an idea of what happens on those trips.

Might try to go out of Ocean City, MD too.

Upvote 0

rubberneck-man

North east fishing.....
Sep 22, 2017
ny
Name
john smith
Boat
my missy
My opinion is for the minimum: get a horizontal 1.5" rod holder to hold the rod out away from the boat. Bring a rail rod (7-8ft) - and something like a penn (or Makaira) visx 16/20/30/50 with 100lbs hollow (500 yds at least). mark off 50 ft lengths with a sharpie...to lets say 300ft. use that rod as a sword/big eye tuna rod...night chunk rod. have lights like those Lindren Pittman lights....and your own mackerel/squid baits. 11/0 hooks for swords 5/0 to 8/0 circle hooks for the tuna chunks. the more line the better. I think a large big eye tuna....is a canyon donkey. they can pull like no other fish. people may disagree.....I think a north east big eye tuna is an absolute beast.

then have a jigging rod that can flick vertical jigs. for some reason....I crush them on 148gr blue/black Shimano knife jigs. Flat falls work good too. The problem that I have is when big fish (90+lbs) like small jigs (<160gram) that need to be deep (150ft +)

I use a jigging world ghost hunter with accurate 600N two speed reel with metered braid....50lbs or 65 lbs. I tie a Bimini twist....then I use 15ft-30ft 40lbs-100lbs flouro wind-ons that I make myself. I tend to go with 50lbs-80lbs flouro as far as my success rate.

Metered braid is a must (for jigging at least...or bait too) in my humble opinion....it's a game changer for me. I want to find a depth quickly....metered braid is a must have.

Attached is a photo...a friend of mine sent me. He had a giant swordfish on, while fishing on the Helen-h, and his story is when the fish saw the boat....made a vertical deep dive....he tightened the drag.....straightened the hook. hence the photo. No bullshit either. he said the fish was 12ft. I trust him. he doesn't tell fish stories. I never been on a San Diego boat.....but I've seen some giant fish brought over the rail fishing the NE. I do plan on doing a SD trip.....I just need to convince my wife.

also bring a 7ft spinning rod...with like a 3000-5000 reel with 15lb-30bs braid for mahi and some squid jigs....and some yozuri mag-poppers or mag-swimmers (for the mahi).

IMG_3440.jpeg

Upvote 0

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
My opinion is for the minimum: get a horizontal 1.5" rod holder to hold the rod out away from the boat. Bring a rail rod (7-8ft) - and something like a penn (or Makaira) visx 16/20/30/50 with 100lbs hollow (500 yds at least). mark off 50 ft lengths with a sharpie...to lets say 300ft. use that rod as a sword/big eye tuna rod...night chunk rod. have lights like those Lindren Pittman lights....and your own mackerel/squid baits. 11/0 hooks for swords 5/0 to 8/0 circle hooks for the tuna chunks. the more line the better. I think a large big eye tuna....is a canyon donkey. they can pull like no other fish. people may disagree.....I think a north east big eye tuna is an absolute beast.

then have a jigging rod that can flick vertical jigs. for some reason....I crush them on 148gr blue/black Shimano knife jigs. Flat falls work good too. The problem that I have is when big fish (90+lbs) like small jigs (<160gram) that need to be deep (150ft +)

I use a jigging world ghost hunter with accurate 600N two speed reel with metered braid....50lbs or 65 lbs. I tie a Bimini twist....then I use 15ft-30ft 40lbs-100lbs flouro wind-ons that I make myself. I tend to go with 50lbs-80lbs flouro as far as my success rate.

Metered braid is a must (for jigging at least...or bait too) in my humble opinion....it's a game changer for me. I want to find a depth quickly....metered braid is a must have.

Attached is a photo...a friend of mine sent me. He had a giant swordfish on, while fishing on the Helen-h, and his story is when the fish saw the boat....made a vertical deep dive....he tightened the drag.....straightened the hook. hence the photo. No bullshit either. he said the fish was 12ft. I trust him. he doesn't tell fish stories. I never been on a San Diego boat.....but I've seen some giant fish brought over the rail fishing the NE. I do plan on doing a SD trip.....I just need to convince my wife.

also bring a 7ft spinning rod...with like a 3000-5000 reel with 15lb-30bs braid for mahi and some squid jigs....and some yozuri mag-poppers or mag-swimmers (for the mahi).

View attachment 1278095

Thanks!!! Would definitely be awesome getting an east coast swordfish. How deep are you catching those swords at night? Less than 300 feet deep?

How big do those bigeye get?

Upvote 0

rubberneck-man

North east fishing.....
Sep 22, 2017
ny
Name
john smith
Boat
my missy
Thanks!!! Would definitely be awesome getting an east coast swordfish. How deep are you catching those swords at night? Less than 300 feet deep?

How big do those bigeye get?
the swordfish - at night....300 ft or less. Bring those lights....the ones that clip on the line. The LP ones....work well....but can get expensive when you loose a sword rig....like when a blue shark comes in and takes the bait.

There are some sword fisherman that could comment on depths...depending on phases of the moon...I hear for example....during a full moon....you'd want the bait deeper...say 250-300ft at night....at least I think they say that. The reason being....more light from the moon brings the fish up from the depths....meaning the brighter it is...the more the moonlight gets down in the depths.

The less moonlight there is....the more shallower you'd want your bait. Hey...I'm not the expert...this is just what I hear out on the boats.....

I use a large shark-float instead of a balloon to send the bait out away from the boat....it's kinda pill-shaped...I rig it up so that a glow stick is on top and a swivel connects to line....and on my fishing line I'll pre-rig a floss-loop using rigging floss.

Upvote 0