Uncle Binky

Proficient at swapping lower units
Oct 17, 2010
Monroe WA USA
Name
Mark
Boat
Herring Voices - Grady White 265 Express
Sometimes we need to simply stop and count our blessings.
With friends in from Atlanta and my daughter home briefly from Norway, we took the opportunity Saturday to get back to Westport with what looked to be a great forecast for tuna. With three newbs on board, I new I’d need help if we were to plug the boat, so I called my buddy Chuck, who has been my first call for over 10 years. After about a 40 minute line for half dead anchovies, we ran at 28 knots straight out on a very friendly sea. The overcast from the night before would play in our favor, as it masked the moon, making it harder for the fish to feed overnight. The SST charts had indicated a hard line of temp gradient that bounded a mass of very warm water well beyond the 125 line.
65 miles out we started seeing sport boats, but all appeared to be on the troll, so we continued West, watching for birds, jumpers, or a sign from God.
The clouds parted, and the sun brightened our moods. Then we saw the marlin break the surface 50 yards off the bow. This must be the place. I was setting the first clone on the outrigger to start our troll when it was ripped out of my hand. That started a wide open bait stop for about an hour and a half. Well over half the bait was dead by the time we started fishing, making it easier to toss as much as we did to keep this hungry school at the boat. My preferred method is net, spike, bleed, and chill, and I was glad that we brought the 55 gallon bleed barrel on this trip, as we would need it. We started running low on live chovies, and became less generous with our chumming throughout the day, which led to more troll caught fish and fewer bait stops.
Saving the last few swimmers, we converted one last time for a triple before finishing the day with several on the troll. We stopped clearing the empty lines every time a rod went off, and simply slowed the troll to drag the fish to the boat. This led to several doubles and a couple triples. Most troll fish were caught on zucchini clones. Oddly, the cedar plug failed to produce today. I attribute this to the new outriggers, as the clones were in clean water and the plug was the shotgun out back in the prop wash.
We were tired of pulling in fish, and Chuck looked at my like, “Dude, we have a lot of fish to clean.”, and it was time to blast back and begin the carcing process. We zoomed home on a greasy, flat ocean, making 32 easy knots, laughing about the day’s highlights. We filled the fish box, a large cooler, a kill bag and a 55 gallon drum with fish. You do the math.
It was a trip of firsts for the daughter: staying up late tying leaders, catching tuna, eating a beating heart, and cutting fish on the dock well into the night with a bowl of wasabi and soy sauce at hand.
If life gets better than this, I really don’t want to know about it.

B7EF0106-0C9A-428E-88D2-555C32CABD2A.jpeg

1DAFC7CD-A68E-4810-B43A-FAA159C50F36.jpeg

F7E6DBF6-07CB-4E0A-84AD-C09654771817.jpeg

05DDA4C4-3C7C-4240-99D7-BFF5FC8A3375.jpeg

F65C5BA5-8838-434C-8202-F834664204F8.jpeg

8BB675E3-A9F7-4C9A-B051-0FE2034EF495.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Uncle Binky

Oct 17, 2010
Monroe WA USA
Name
Mark
Boat
Nicely written and well done TUNA trip!! My Tuna waypoint was 0106 also
The spinning reel challenge continues :)
The spinning rod was a bit of a prank and social experiment - I tossed a swim bait at a jumper, and when it got hit it I handed her the rod with the reel up to see what she’d do about it. It took her a minute to realize what the issue was.

Upvote 0

Jay Bjorn

Norge
Aug 8, 2017
Everett, Wa
www.chinookservices.com
Name
Jay
Boat
Wake and Bait
Awesome report! Good move heading more west to find the open bite. The bait at Westport is crap. Ilwaco’s bait has been a hell of a lot better for us. The fish 40 to 50 miles out seem to be a lot more picky and are acting like July fish- hooking up on the troll more than anything. It’s worth it to do one more hour of a run to get into the wide open bite. Our cedar plugs didn’t produce much except maybe one or two fish as well.

Upvote 0

haldy

Aug 23, 2019
Ilwaco, WA
Name
Nick Haldeman
Boat
Bonita II
Uncle Binky, is your boat a Grady 265? How does it perform on the tuna grounds. It’s on my short list of boats but they’re hard to find in the NW.

Upvote 0

Grady226

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 17, 2009
Marysville,Wa
Name
Gary
Boat
22' Grady White
Uncle Binky, is your boat a Grady 265? How does it perform on the tuna grounds. It’s on my short list of boats but they’re hard to find in the NW.
If that is what your looking for a friend has a 265 with either OX 66 or HPDI twins for sale at Twin Bridges [email protected] knows more about it!

Upvote 0

Uncle Binky

Oct 17, 2010
Monroe WA USA
Name
Mark
Boat
I spent a lot of time looking for the right next boat. There is a reason that the Express is often considered Grady‘s best fishing boat. The center helm, the seating layout, and the tucked in engines make it an amazing fishing platform. You’re welcome to come spend a day in mine if i have room and you have the time.

Upvote 0

haldy

Aug 23, 2019
Ilwaco, WA
Name
Nick Haldeman
Boat
Bonita II
I’ll take you up on that opportunity. My schedule is pretty flexible and I can be to Westport in about an hour and 45 mins. I’ll private message you my number so we can stay in touch.

I spent a lot of time looking for the right next boat. There is a reason that the Express is often considered Grady‘s best fishing boat. The center helm, the seating layout, and the tucked in engines make it an amazing fishing platform. You’re welcome to come spend a day in mine if i have room and you have the time.

Reactions: Uncle Binky
Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
That’s awesome. Did your guests have to burn their clothes to get the smell out? :)

Reactions: Jay Bjorn
Upvote 0

dragonballs

I'm off probation
  • Mar 28, 2008
    Arlington WA
    Name
    Vance
    Boat
    40' ocean sport fisher
    Fuck me what great prose. We can barely spell fish let alone write such a great report However I am missing how many you got or lost. Still best report I have read in a long time. Based on the numbers we were neighbors. How you write such a detailed report on your phone is beyond me. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Upvote 0

Uncle Binky

Oct 17, 2010
    Monroe WA USA
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Fuck me what great prose. We can barely spell fish let alone write such a great report However I am missing how many you got or lost. Still best report I have read in a long time. Based on the numbers we were neighbors. How you write such a detailed report on your phone is beyond me. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Amazingly, we had very few lost fish for a newb crew. This was particularly gratifying, as Heidi sat up with me well into the night before tying leaders. We usually neither count nor post numbers, but we walked away with about 40 after handing out some on the docks to guys who blanked and passersby who had never seen a tuna outside of a can. My way of making the world a better place.

Upvote 0

sharkster

Almost A Member
    Aug 4, 2008
    Westport wa usa
    Name
    Robert Anderson
    Boat
    17 Arima Sharkster
    Thats the new Pelosi mask
    invisible so you always have one on.
    You know the kings new clothes story
    never disagree with the king or queen

Upvote 0

Uncle Binky

Oct 17, 2010
    Monroe WA USA
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    The video of her eating a beating heart might scare them away.

Reactions: MarkFromSea
    Upvote 0