Islands May Slow pitch trip out of Oxnard- video is up!

jowo

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 9, 2004
    Woodland Hills
    Name
    Johnny
    Boat
    Sold
    It's a generic I got from Ali Express. I just call it the one eye. It is very similar in profile to a baitfish I've seen in submarine videos from the channel islands. The bait has a spot that looks just like the jig. Seems to get bit really good.

salty nuts

• Jun 2, 2004
    Camarillo
    Name
    Tim Mohawk
    Boat
    25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
    That's called a Chilipepper! You must be fishing deep.....

Upvote 0

tranandya

Fishy
    Aug 18, 2010
    Anaheim
    Name
    Andy
    Boat
    Maritime 20p
    Tranx 400. But I had issues with the drag slipping a lot. Lost a few fish because of this. Love the size and feel off or, but not fishable if the drag keeps loosening on it's own.
    i think its the spectra slipping on the spool not your drags... the white tape that comes with your reel goes on the spool to prevent it from slipping. you can also use electrical tape.

A way to test this is put your reel in the freezer for 10 mins with the drags tight. take it out and thumb the spool and crank the handle. if you can turn the handle easy than its the spectra slipping. hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0

jowo

• Jul 9, 2004
    Woodland Hills
    Name
    Johnny
    Boat
    Sold
    i think its the spectra slipping on the spool not your drags... the white tape that comes with your reel goes on the spool to prevent it from slipping. you can also use electrical tape.

A way to test this is put your reel in the freezer for 10 mins with the drags tight. take it out and thumb the spool and crank the handle. if you can turn the handle easy than its the spectra slipping. hope that makes sense.
    Trust me, I've been around ling enough to know if my spectra is spinning. I tape it down. Thanks for the suggestion, though, never heard that one before.
    The reel war fine the first few trips and this issue developed on that trip. Someone suggested that it is missing a washer under the handle. It has a weird washer that suits in the star and under the handle, not sure if it's that one. And it feels like it's getting sloppy on the tolerances under load after a few trips of winding very heavy stuff up from deep. My conquest doesn't do that, but also costs 2x as much.

Reactions: tranandya
    tranandya
    tranandya
    Forsure just thought comment. Same thing happen to my Tranx. That's what Shimano told me to do.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

salty nuts

• Jun 2, 2004
    Camarillo
    Name
    Tim Mohawk
    Boat
    25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
    Thanks! Around 500 feet. A couple deeper and a couple shallower.
    One of the best eating rockfish out there

Upvote 0

FishingFiend

Almost A Member
    Nov 5, 2003
    SoCal
    Name
    FishingFiend
    Boat
    Cayman 226
    I suggest never doing this. A spool shaft and bearings were never intended to have direct force applied in this manner.

tranandya
    tranandya
    I am just postings what the Shimano tech do, and what they recommended to do on other reels that have similar symptoms.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0