May 29, 2019 Mugu Beach

Discussion in 'Surf Fishing Reports' started by Levi Santana, May 30, 2019.

1. Levi Santana

Levi Santana “Newbie” is correct

Name:
    Levi Santana
    Boat:
    None
    This is my first fishing report so bear with me!

Context: Fished Mugu Beach on 5/29 from about 7:30pm-8:30pm. (FYI, never fish Mugu Beach! It is very steep—too steep—and is very prone to sneaker waves. I hated it, maybe others have had a different experience).
    General Info: High tide at about 7:25pm, sunset at around 8pm. Lunar phase was 21% waning. Water temperature: I would say about 59°F, but I’m not sure. I was able to wade in just shorts without issue, so the water is definitely getting warmer. Barometric pressure: 29.722 falling to 29.721 inHg. Water clarity: no rainfall recently so it was pretty clear (well, as clear as it can get in the surf). Weather: Sunny, a bit windy. Surf conditions: Even though forecasts stated otherwise, the surf was about 4’, with up to 6’ breakers about every 20 waves.
    Report: There were few sand crabs present, although maybe that was due to the highly gravelly nature of the beach. We caught two small barred surfperch, about 4-5” each. We used 2” Berkley Gulp! Sandworm in “Camo” color (the only color worth buying). I put them on a Carolina rig, while my partner (who caught all of the fish) used a sort of modified drop shot rig (I guess it was a high-low rig). I had difficulty fishing (the sinker would dig into the sand???), and I finally striked out when I got a massive wind knot (I was using mono, but the wind was feisty). There are definitely BSP present in good numbers, not sure about the corbina. I haven’t gone fishing in a few weeks because of weather (I can’t tolerate wind), and other commitments. I’ll try to go again sometime soon when the wind lets up.

Well, there you have it! If you have advice about how I can improve my reports or how to improve my fishing, it would be greatly appreciated! I hope this report was able to help someone.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  2. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    I've fished that spot a while back. Never caught any barred surf perch of any size, but did well sometimes for the yellowfin croaker. Doesn't seem to be much surf action.

Levi Santana likes this.