May 28th/29th Fishing....

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by navyaircrew, May 30, 2010.

1. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
    Well... Thought i'd post a report here... After 2 days with about 2 hours of sleep total, sitting down, FINALLY getting to enjoy a cold one.. i thought i'd write the report.... so here goes...

My wife, accepted to Officer Candidate School, hopped on a mainland flight and will be gone for 10 months... So, what does a fisherman do with all of this time you ask? Go fish... and get in some wrench time too...

Haven't touched the boat since May 3rd, got to the marina the night of the 27th and filled her up with fuel and ice.... Decided i'd just gather my things the next day, take my time and head out to Keehi Boat Ramp to try my luck...

Ended up making a solo trip out that day, to just be on the water and find peace of mind, ya know... ended up launching at 1000 on the dot and headed out on the ledge... followed that buggah all the way to nanakuli power plant... well, just so happened, along the way, i picked up a ONO on the upward travel (Note, High tide of about 2.5 feet was peak at 600pm since the full moon)... once at the power plant, headed out to the barge to see what was up.. NOTHING, three birds and i think they were lost... made my loop and now's it's about 2pm... headed straight back towards Barbers point to get back since it looked like it was going to rain, which it did, ALOT... and i was solo right... so better be safe than sorry... on the way back in, i hit the corner of Barbers... on the Lowrance, tons of bait starts to show up on the sounder on the ledge...

[​IMG]
    This....
    [​IMG]
    Equals this!...
    [​IMG]
    soon after i'd make a pass over the bait.. BOOM, center rigger would go off... Was running Papa's blue head on that one.... come in with another Ono... lure all tore up.. no worries, rig up another one.... circle back around and BOOM... another one.. i started make figure 8's all along the 240ft ledge ( this magic line as we know it) and i start taking hit after hit.... my rerigging is non stop.... good thing i brought all the lures this time... i had out chrome jets and all sorts of stuff, but it was the Center Rigger that was taking off running Papa's Heads... this thing was so far back it was like remembering a old high school sweet heart... :rofl:

This kept working but daylight was soon fading...i fished with lines in the water up until 630PM.. i stayed in this area and picked up 9 ONO! Two of which were lost at the boat due to another one charging in and eating the lure! Never have i done that before, 9 ONO... really? i truly felt lucky, relieved, and fortunate.. i was on the water, and i was fishing... only myself to yell at since i lost two fish at gaff, but still.. this damm rockets were coming in two at a time... one on the lure and the other one following the buggah coming in..... so when i would pause to gaff, the other buggah would charge the lure and cut it completely off... this happened twice with some big ones too...

well, i make a couple phone calls and get some help back at the dock.... tie up and within minutes, fish are all dropped off at the block! Whew... i go and anchor out, decide to sleep it off and just fish the next day... had a couple dudes coming aboard for a relaxing day on the water... well, the plan only worked out for one dude.. Brandon... Thanks man!

SO, now it's Saturday... still got plenty fuel and topped off the ice and we go at about 0515... head out to the same spot... Not the same tide nor conditions (raining) and dead... worked the same area for an hour... nada... pull lines, and head out past BO.... along the way, saw a bird pile on the 500 fathom... dropped in the smaller 5" lures and sure enough... started picking up some Aku and small Shibi... Sweet, got food for the neighbors, on to bigger things.. pull all the lines in and head out to the 1500 fathom... all 9" pearl jet heads... well.. troll all the way to the Pinnacle outside of Waianae boat harbor... and one boat was hooked up... thought it would be promising, but nada... within a matter of minutes, 6 other boats had the same idea... so i soon left... now it's Noon... headed in towards S buoy... ran around that a bit, then headed to the Barge... Then past the barge back to the Barber's point ledge... didn't get a Knockdown all day... on the ledge, it was 4pm and got a knock down... 25 pound Ono in the boat.. i was like sweet... then running about 30 minutes later, got a 8 lb Mahi (or was it a AKU... hahaha Hey brandon, had to put this in here since you reminded me... soon as the fish, greedy little buggah, hit the lure, as it got close to the boat, he said he saw a flash of blue... said AKU... as i slowed down to see, mahi on the surface, i laughed... Brah, that's a Mahi... he looked at me, like, I KNOW, I KNOW)... thought our luck would continue and keep draggin em in, but didn't so PAU... Tons of Bait on the sounder all around that area still... bird piles started up here and there, and ran all around them, with nothing to show, kept out the 7" and 9" lures.. maybe if i switch to 5" but i was aiming for bigger fish.... picked up lines at about 600pm and blasted in...

All in all, ended up the first day solo trip with 7 Ono in the boat (Biggest was 38lbs) and 2 Aku.... Second day trip ended up with 1 Ono, 1 Mahi, 2 Shibi and 3 Aku... overall, i was thankful to even own a boat much less be fishing... however, i could not have been successful without all of the tons of information good friends have given me over the course of time since i've been out here as well as personal assistance... Good luck to all and have a safe Memorial Day weekend!
    [​IMG]

Nice sunset run home!
    [​IMG]

Here's the second day Ono caught on Garrett's Lure he sent me... thanks man!
    [​IMG]

INDABOX
    [​IMG]

2. hiloboy

hiloboy Okinawaiian Sencho

Name:
    Donald
    Boat:
    Yamaha 25 SR Flybridge
    Way to go Bruddah! IMUA!!!

3. rcvowell

rcvowell Newbie

Name:
    Ryan Vowell
    Boat:
    21', Grady White, Fawkes
    oh damn I am getting anxious to get my boat wet again!!!!!!! Monday won't come fast enough!!!! to bad I have no "crew" tomorrow.. and a pregnant wife that won't even let me consider solo running! LOL

All these bloody deck reports are really fueling the itch!

4. spock

spock Newbie

Name:
    Spock
    Boat:
    17 currentline
    Congrats on the nice ones Scott! Thanks for the report!

5. force25

force25 Newbie

Name:
    Dennis (Itsu)
    Boat:
    25 Force DARI DANE

6. force25

force25 Newbie

Name:
    Dennis (Itsu)
    Boat:
    25 Force DARI DANE
    Nice catch, thanks for the report.

7. JimmyK

JimmyK Fisherman wannabe

Name:
    JimmyK
    Boat:
    17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
    Scott, good going on your catch! Thanks for sharing. Can I ask what kind of fishfinder you have? Nice graphics... Tight lines

8. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Looks like a great day on the water!Doug

9. dausualinc

dausualinc Newbie

Name:
    Kekoa
    Boat:
    30' Knife
    Awsome catch scott, I thought that must have been your truck at the harbor. We were out there that day too but played around in the deeep. Sounds like the evening ledge run was the right call. We had a couple of mahis from an open school but not much else to report. Good going on the fish.

10. castlepw

castlepw GITRDONE

Name:
    Phil
    Boat:
    GITRDONE, Hewescraft 220 Ocean Pro
    nice going scooter, epic day on the water. You certainly found the Ono!

11. East Side

East Side Certified Masterb8er

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    23' Custom, Caroline II
    Good going on the onos, caught em in the act feasting :2gunsfiring_v1:

12. force21

force21 Oldie

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    21 Force JAYMIELYN
    Nice catch Scott & thanks for the report!

13. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Way to get after them there no-nos... I've always loved those 20-50 ft vertical faces. It seems like the onos do too.

pat

14. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
    Thanks everyone... it was certainly a badass day on the water... My sounder is a lowrance LCX27C believe it or not, running the stock transducer that came with the setup... transom mount... just gotta have it in the right place...

15. JimmyK

JimmyK Fisherman wannabe

Name:
    JimmyK
    Boat:
    17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
    Thanks for the info...

16. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    Badass Scott!!! Way to crush and get Brandon out on the water!!! Insure he was full of stoke

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  17. Kaipo

Kaipo Newbie

Name:
    Kaipo
    Boat:
    20 ft. Fiberform
    Hey Scott,
    Thanks for the report. Details and pics take your reports to the next level. Not only interesting, but informative and great reading.

Much Aloha,

Kaipo

18. jeffhi

jeffhi Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    26 yellowfin
    right on man, great job! Some of those look like bigguns!

19. cheehuli

cheehuli Newbie

Name:
    Chase
    Boat:
    24' Custom Sampan "Girlie T"
    Ho! Nice onos Scott. Mahalos for always writing up a good report. Kinda helps to keep the stoke alive since I haven't been able to get my gills wet for like 3 weeks and counting now. Cheeehhuuuu!

20. Boatrob

Boatrob Got fish?

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    26' Glacierbay twin Honda 150's "KUA"
    Sounds like u got Ono fever. Awsome solo day. Send some of those secrets my way.