fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
About 6 months ago Salty called and asked I wanted to go on a Maximus tuna trip....I didn't even look at my calender and instantly said "YES"......

One of the best quick decisions I've made.

There were 7 of of us on the trip...David Rouse. Billy Messler, Cory Burak, Jim Hart, Jon Bakos, Bill Havens and myself....

It was a short two hour flight from Phoenix for Jon and I.....we arrived at about 2 and by 5 everyone was at the airport......Captain Keith was there with his crew to pick us up and take us directly to the Maximus....a 60' fishing boat similar to the Fortune.......Keith runs a no nonsense big tuna operation.....no frills but very comfortable....the boat has two bunk rooms with A/C one starboard and one port side...each with 4 bunks...there are two heads with showers ....the air conditioned galley will seat 8 to 10 comfortably......food was good and what was great there was no "last" call.....they would make you food when you were ready.....Two large bait tanks and the rail was a perfect height for me...I'm 5'8"....tackle and duffle bag storage is tight....lots of rod racks......next trip I will be taking much less
clothing....but I will take two 50 sized reels and matching rods.....they have all the lighter stuff on board, the boat is loaded with two speed accurates from B2 500s to ATD 50s on Salty Dawg custom Rods. They will cut up, vacuum seal and freeze your catch right on board for those that want to bring fish home.

OK so we get on the boat about 6 and head out for about a half hour and start making bait, we make about 150 pieces when around 10 PM a couple bait pangas that Keith is hooked up with come up and we get about 400 more cabbies.......set on bait we haed for the fishing grounds.

Monday...we got to the tuna grounds about 2 or 3 in the afternoon and Keith tells us that he is metering fish at 35 fathoms and we should try sinker rigs with 4 to 8 ounces of weight and NOTHING under 130# leader.....excellent advice.

Fishing was slow as there was no current, but Cory hooked up first but got chewed off after a couple minutes....then Jon got one to stick and he landed the first tuna of trip about a 150# fish.......well that was the only one for the day....Keith said not to worry the fish were there but the current was just a little screwy....Keith is the most optimistic skipper I have ever fished with.

Tuesday.....we started fishing about a hour before gray light just at sunrise I get bit......it was only a 70# fish but I was on the board and started the bite which was slow and steady all day. The average fish was in the 150# range we only caught two small fish the whole trip, my first one and a small on the last day......all the other fish were brutes.... lots of of the 140# to 180# fish........it was a pick bite and we ended up with 13 for the day Cory got a nice cow about 215# and I think Jim got his cow too about a 205#.

Wed.....Just as Keith predicted the bite started to pick up... seemed someone was hooked up all day......Billy was on fire and had at least 9 or ten fish... he had one a cow about 210# and Cory got one too.....we stuffed the RSW tank.....it was a great bite, all on the sinker rigs and circle hooks. Salty lost a cow right at color when Billy's cow and his got tangled right out of gaffing range and his got burned off....bummer.

Thursday.....Every day the sign just got better and better......we picked up fish all morning and David got a 201#... David is one of the funnest most energetic people you can ever fish with......about noon Keith saw some big bird schools off on the horizon so we took off for them....as we slid up on them he told us to try fly line and sinker rigs as he said there were fish from the surface to 35 fathoms......

We dropped down a squid on the Mak 16 and were rewarded with a instant bite as soon as it hit the 35 fathom mark.......the result was my 317# the 2 hour fight was described in the other thread the crew and fellow passengers were a great help bring ice water and encouragement and the reel was flawless it is not a cow reel but it will get the job done if it has too...........we picked up a couple more nice ones called it a trip and headed home.

The Maximus is not for everyone......it is not a SD long Range boat not the Indy, Intrepid or Excel....it is more along the lines of the Condor, Fortune, Pac Voyager.....but it is for someone who loves to fish BIG tuna....it is for someone looking for tuna adventure.

I think 6 or 7 is the ideal number to fish on the boat....I would always opt for the 5 day option just incase like us the bite is off for a day ....

PV is HOT and HUMID....stay hydrated with water and Gator aide... use lots of sun screen.....

When I go back I will take two 50's and the matching rods a 3X5 and a SS6463XXXXH.....these fish are very very hard fighting fish as all on the trip will attest to.

5 cows 1 super cow....dozens in the 120# to 190# range...some dodo's and a couple stripe marlin.....doesn't get better than that.

We got back to port on Friday morning and Keith got us all to the airport on time and I was home by 10 pm that night.....

Thanks Salty for the invite......great trip!!!!!

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
Pictures?

SALTYDAWG

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 1, 2003
Casa DE Oro
www.saltydawgcustomrods.com
Name
Bill
Boat
sold it
here are some pics

Attachments

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
I know Jim. That guy is in beastmode at the slightest mention of tuna. I'm stoked he got a cow and I'm thrilled you got a super David!

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Piche Vatos!

:D

ps gratz Fishy! :)

Soda Pop

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
What a trip Salty Dawg ( Bill) put together for us!!!!!

Derfsondeck

DUMBASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 28, 2006
Ventura
Name
Fred
Boat
Poopshoot
Awesome report David thank you.Was talking to Keith getting updates through your whole trip.So stoked for you on that 317!I agree with you My plunker rod is a 50 on a 6463XXXX-H with filled with 130 hollow topped with 200 hollow to 150 fluoro and I feel a little undergunned on those pissed off fuckers!Goin back for our charter this time in 4 weeks.Dec 6th-9th!then we spend 8 days on the Maximus in January.Then I think I'm done for a little while.........Maybe!

nick17yz

TUNA TOKER
Nov 6, 2008
SEEKER RODS
Name
Nick Rekrut
Boat
Longrange
thanks for the write up fishy! Looks like you guys had a great trip.

Congrats on the super!! You've definitly paid your dues and you deserve it!

Knucklehead is a fun guy to fish with.. If you book a trip 2 times a year, chances are he will be on 1 of them. He fishes like 900 days a year or something..

vegasandre

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
Awesome report David, thanks for the info on the boat abds how its setup , I appreciate it.

Congrats on the super again!

etwizard

Mar 29, 2004
No California
Name
solomon
Boat
Free 4 All
Congrats to you David on a terrific fish. Looks like all that preparation paid off. Thanks for sharing.
Solomon

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
Aug 26, 2011
fresno, ca usa
Name
donna
Boat
reel lady
Great report.......and great fishing, congrats to all aboard

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
I've been off line a couple of days, thanks for the write up David. Your right about the 2 50 sized outfits, forgot to mention that when we talked. That's all I'll really take next year.