fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Jim Hart put together this charter about 9 months ago……all of us had fished together on Long Range cow trips trips on the Intrepid the group consisted of Jim Hart, David Rouse "Soda Pop", Russel Grieves, Mike Stiny "Shooter", Bill Messer "Storm Trooper" and me "Fishybuzz"…..

We decided to go limited load (6) and 4.5 days to maximize our fishing chances... the boat will take as many as 11 on a charter…….the group came from as far away as Atlanta (Bill).. three guys from Northern California Soda Pop, Jim and Russel, Shooter flew in from Santa Barbara and met me in Phoenix.

By 5:30 Friday afternoon everyone found their way to the boat which was a bit of a challenge as it is docked in a residential area with no signs…….but we were under way by 6 and proceeded out into the bay a few miles and made bait for a couple hours we caught about 100 pieces and the bait guys brought us 500 more so we were set on bait……..the bait was big eyed jacks (cabillitos) a very durable bait that the tuna loved.

We motored north all night and began fishing about 11:30 the next morning…….we slid in on three or four bird schools for nothing but finally we hit one that was holding fish and Bill and Jim both got a couple next school I hang a good one …..I have found these fish in PV to be very strong and this fish was no different….after about a 45 minutes fight Jesus and crew sink the gaffs into a beautiful 240# fish….it was pretty cool hanging a cow as your first fish of the trip…….Jim got another right at 200# and it was a steady pick and we ended up with 13 for the day….we had several heart breaks from chew offs and burn offs and pulled hooks. We tried to make squid but only made one piece.

Day two was very similar to day one and the hot sticks were Bill, Jim and Soda Pop ……but Shooter who caught the one squid the night before hung a good one on it and fought it for a long time before he got chewed off……..I was snake bit this day and couldn't get a bit but I really didn't care as we were having a great time fishing with good friends and having caught a cow the first day I just was enjoying the wonderful warm weather and cold beer…..everyone else got their share all the fish were between 120# and 180# in fact I don't think we caught anything under 100# the whole trip, the average was 140#-150# Jim boated a 20# dorado which went to the galley….yum...…..just a beautiful grade of fish. We tried for squid again with a little more luck making about 7 pieces but the high light was when a 90# sailfish came right to the boat's squid light all lit up, it stuck around for about 5 minutes and put on quite a show…. no one had ever seen that before…….the light attracted a huge variety of sea life …juvenile dorado…a 6" sail fish….and lots of fish i couldn't id.

the next day was a repeat of day two it was mostly a morning and evening bite, soaking the squid at gray light was the ticket……with several flurries during the day…… we also hooked 4 or 5 sailfish through out the trip and also brought two large thresher sharks to the boat….Billy had big shark honors with a 7' brown shark…..we didn't lose any fish to the sharks but had numerous chew offs from them……this night we just hammered the squid and put over a hundred on the boat……the previous day Capt Keith caught a BIG squid probably 5# or 6# and the next day Jim put it out in hopes of a giant…..he soaked it for about a hour and got bit…..we all were sure it was a big one….when he got it to the boat to our surprise it was one of the smaller tuna…..probably 130#…..so it proved tuna are gluttons. LOL

The next morning started with a bang and just got better and better……..Jesus brailed the bait and got them going and 2 hours later when the dust settled we had 13 fish on board from 140# to 256# with many fish lost…. Jim got the 256# Bill got a 220#……I got four from 140# to 160#……..every bait in the water was inhaled ……Jesus commented that it was one of the best big fish bites he had been in…..it was like a WFO albacore bite but these were BIG YFT………we ran out of bait and and called it a trip after 2 hours of battle.

What worked……long soak fly lined cabbies on 7/0 8/0 circle hooks…..no plunker fish were caught…..mono got bit just fine no need for FC…..the flylined squid at gray light got bit…used a larger hook for the squid 10/0-12/0 circles. 50 sized reels and 130# leaders make life easier….these fish are tough and it is no place for light line and soft rods…..

Shooter and I got to test the Okuma 50 SEa's with the 1:1 low gear and they are winches…..what a great reel…..I also used a Salty Dawg XXHP and it is IMO a 100# or light 130# stick…….nice rod.

Bill was hot stick and was on fire I think he got 16 fish, Jim and Soda Pop weren't far behind……but everyone did well…we ended up with 4 cows 256#,240#,220# and 200#.

We had beautiful weather high 80's, breezy the first couple days but very fishable….the guys are all experienced big fish fishermen and it showed during the times when there were multiple hooks ups.. with no drama and great communication….over under and around…no panic.

I was fun fishing with Jesus again…….he is amazing when it come to fishing big tuna…..he put on a clinic on a 150# fish, you had to be there to see a master at work…..

The guys may add more to the report or edit as my memory is fading.

The guys will post their photos……i have a couple that i will attempt to post …..

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
Sep 9, 2004
West LA
Name
Min
Boat
None
Damn Fishy. Sounds like an awesome trip and no traveling for 4 days straight down.

fishdoggary

I do what I want Bitch!
Aug 23, 2007
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Gary
Boat
Intrepid
That was a great report Fishy, did your wife help you? Just kidding... sounds like you all had a great trip.

See you in 30 days.

Gary

Soda Pop

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Fishy thanks for doing a great job on the report. It was great fishing with you and the gang. I will see you on the Intrepid in Jan.

Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
Great Report Fishy! Thanks for sharing, and I look forward to seeing some pics.

-Connor

Shooter

Apr 28, 2003
Goleta, Ca
Visit site
I was there and that's about what happened. Nice grade of fish. Thanks for the opportunity to relive the trip. Side note.............fished the Makaira 50SEa for the whole time and was very satisfied with it. Plan on using it as the "go to" reel on
my next trip. Best part of the trip was fishing with five others that I now call friends and to see Jesus again and know he's doing fine.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I was there and that's about what happened. Nice grade of fish. Thanks for the opportunity to relive the trip. Side note.............fished the Makaira 50SEa for the whole time and was very satisfied with it. Plan on using it as the "go to" reel on
my next trip. Best part of the trip was fishing with five others that I now call friends and to see Jesus again and know he's doing fine.
His new "BEST" friend is the rail……….lmao

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Fishy where the heck is my picture??? LOL was I napping or??? I forgot my camera.. Maybe I was doing the soda pop dance. LOL You know me. Nice pictures.

The Bushman

The Bushman
Mar 5, 2005
El Cajon
Name
Ken Bush
Boat
everyone elses
Nice writeup Fishy!! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!!

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
Nice Fishy, That is a great trip- all quality fish, limited load of friends. cant go wrong with that

Shooter

Apr 28, 2003
Goleta, Ca
Visit site
It's like your doctor over joyed that you need knee replacement. Got to love the respect one gets on this board.???????????????????

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
Thanks for writing that up Mr. Buzz, that sounded pretty good, congrats on the trip.