Shimano Maxcuatro Power Pro New Chalky Powdery - Normal?

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
Got a used reel with (allegedly) new unused Maxcuatro (80lb yellow) bought and spooled by Turners Outdoors, tho the guy couldn't or wouldn't tell me how long ago. The line does appear is has not been used since it was spooled (perfect wraps not even soiled end).

THE ISSUES:

1. I hooked it it to my fence and pulling off 30 yards or so of line off it a few times with my Calstar to see the rod bend and drag - I am seeing a yellow chalky dusty powdery residue coming off the line.
  2. The PP broke when I was pulling 10lbs drag off it by hand, although it could have been cut across itself using a knot puller moments earlier.
  3. To test again, I pulled on it hard with a knot tightener (very carefully wrapped) just before the reel with about 50 ft of line out and it was solid.

I don't have enough experience with PP to tell if this residue coming bleeding off new colored PowerPro line is normal or a sign of braid rot -- is the dusty color residue coming off new un-fished line normal?

Thanks, RideHPD, that's helpful info... one needs to be careful with those knot tightener.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
Totally normal, I'd actually be more suspect if it didn't. Probably weakened that section that broke as you described.

Reactions: geebee
Upvote 0

Bantam1

Shimano Rep
Sep 13, 2007
Irvine, CA
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
This is normal for most braided lines. There is a coating on the line that wears as the line is used. The "shedding" will take place in the beginning and will stop as the line "breaks in".

Upvote 0

ducati-748

Almost A Member
Aug 14, 2012
Arcaida
Name
Jason
Boat
not yet
Bought a spool of 500yd 100# Maxcuatro over the ebay while the 20% discount were offered for July 4th. The seller has more than 500K positive feedbacks and looks like he is a SHIMANO distributors (sell a lot of Shimano items).

Received the line and found a fluffing ball in the middle while trying to load it on my reel. Contacted the seller by email through ebay but more than two days, no response.

Does anyone know if I can change it with the Shimano customer service located in OC ? I was trying to call them today but the line is always busy even I was kept waiting for more than 20 min.

Thanks,

Upvote 0

Bantam1

Shimano Rep
Sep 13, 2007
Irvine, CA
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
We had an issue with the phone lines that has been addressed. You should be able to get through. There is a process for sending in the line. The CS agent can walk you through it and send you the form you will need.

Upvote 0