I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 7, 2016
So Cal
Name
Sammie
Boat
None
Looking for a sanity check.

How much drag are you guys actually getting with your FTH, TRQ, and VISX 2-spd lever drags before the slightest perceptible decrease in free spool?

I straight pulled on a spring scale with a couple of my reels and didn't see anywhere near published max. >:(

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
David
Boat
Hobie Tandem Island
I have 2 - 40nld2 and they have different max drags before losing free spool. One of them I got up to 13-14lb, the other I couldn't get above 10-11lb. Disclaimer I set the drags over a year ago so I could be off a bit but I know the second one was low. I even returned it (amazon) and got a third, but that one also could only get 10-11lbs

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
David
Boat
Hobie Tandem Island
My VISX , I think I put 25 or 30lb drag on that and it is fine

Reactions: JK47

ljg619

Jun 30, 2020
Chula Vista
Name
Leonard Gibson
Boat
SS Minnow
Are you sitting you drag at strike or full? I can get around 13-14# at strike on my Torque 40NLD2 before losing free spool.

Reactions: JK47

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Fathom reels, drag specs furnished by engineers, not anglers.

That said, I get more drag than the previous poster did from my FTH40NLD2. Pretty close to 20 lbs of usable drag before losing freespool. Fishing it as I do, with short (25 ft) 50 lb topshots, for flylining live bait, that’s more than enough for me.

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
David
Boat
Hobie Tandem Island
I was only getting around 12# of drag before losing freespool on my FTH40NLD2. Then I sent it into Cal Sheets and can now get over 25# (didn't test max) with no impact to freespool.
How much did that cost? I would be curious to know if it's something I can do myself....

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I sent my FTH15LD2 to Cal and Eric. It’s a dynamite little package now, for finesse fishing 30 lb.

Reactions: solid72

Pitchinwedge

Aug 7, 2016
So Cal
Name
Sammie
Boat
None
What did you get?
Strike/Full/Sunset:

TRQ25NLD2 = 12/18/21
Beyond this, the lever is too stiff to use comfortably; freespool begins to get slightly affected.

TRQ40NLD2 = 14/23/33
Beyond this, the lever is too stiff to use comfortably; freespool still not affected.

12VISX = 31lbs at FULL
Beyond this, the lever is too stiff to use comfortably; freespool still not affected.

16VISX = 34lbs at FULL
The lever is still fairly compliant at this point; freespool begins to get affected.

30VISX = 40lbs+ at FULL
Just a beast. I didn't bother trying to test further. Was having enough trouble as it is with making smooth pulls at these levels.

Based on the responses so far, the 40N's are between 12-14lbs at strike. As is mine. IMO, this is close enough to factory spec.

Edit: Just to clarify... I'm not totally losing freespool on any of the reels at these drag settings. These settings are the point at which I sense there is the slightest bit of hinderance to freespool. Perhaps it's OK to screw down some more on the underperformers?

Last edited:
Reactions: JK47 and Cubeye

Pitchinwedge

Aug 7, 2016
So Cal
Name
Sammie
Boat
None
I was only getting around 12# of drag before losing freespool on my FTH40NLD2. Then I sent it into Cal Sheets and can now get over 25# (didn't test max) with no impact to freespool.
You're getting 25lbs of drag STRIKE?

Pitchinwedge

Aug 7, 2016
So Cal
Name
Sammie
Boat
None
Yes, I can prolly go higher but didn't bother testing the max drag before losing freespool since I'm using 60# topshot.
Well dang.. that's double what we're all getting on our stock 40N's. Would be interested to know what you get at full and sunset.... based on what we get you should be getting something like 25/40/55!!!

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
David
Boat
Hobie Tandem Island
Unfortunate that we have to spend an extra 100 to get the reel up to factory specs

birdie800

ReelBigFish
Jul 11, 2009
LA County
Name
Chay
Boat
N/A
Unfortunate that we have to spend an extra 100 to get the reel up to factory specs
Well, you can technically get the max rate drag, but you may lose freespool. Sideload will reduce freespool at high drag settings for almost any reel.

JamesTaylor

Question Everything
Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Not yet
My buddy’s 40nld2 has the same issue. 14 lbs max at strike, haven’t measured sunset. On my fathoms I use full as strike to get some more drag if needed

Reactions: Cubeye

Pitchinwedge

Aug 7, 2016
So Cal
Name
Sammie
Boat
None
I certainly don't think so. Or at least hope not!

Well, you can technically get the max rate drag, but you may lose freespool. Sideload will reduce freespool at high drag settings for almost any reel.
This is the point. Some reels aren't able to achieve their maximum potential drag for one reason or another. Just need to figure out what's limiting the reel and fix it. Or, we can pay $100+ for Cal to do it. Honestly, not trying to knock on Cal, but working on these reels isn't rocket science.

Reactions: Big_Tuna_

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
David
Boat
Hobie Tandem Island
I certainly don't think so. Or at least hope not!

This is the point. Some reels aren't able to achieve their maximum potential drag for one reason or another. Just need to figure out what's limiting the reel and fix it. Or, we can pay $100+ for Cal to do it. Honestly, not trying to knock on Cal, but working on these reels isn't rocket science.
right, I agree, it can't be that hard. Just need a reel expert to tell us. But then they lose our business LOL LOL LOL

Pitchinwedge

Aug 7, 2016
So Cal
Name
Sammie
Boat
None
Well... I'm thinking it's most likely the drag washers aren't "properly" greased. Too much or too little. Planning on reviewing the schematics later today (hopefully) to see what parts could be a factor.

Steel Seeker 40

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 20, 2018
Seattle, WA
Name
Steel Seeker 40
Boat
Pelican Catch 120
I checked my reels yesterday and I was leaving them in freespool and cranking down the drag. At some point, the spool starts spinning when you crank the handle. Most were at published number. My fathom 40 was 18#. My JX g-2 was only 13# instead of 21#.

Pitchinwedge

Aug 7, 2016
So Cal
Name
Sammie
Boat
None
I checked my reels yesterday and I was leaving them in freespool and cranking down the drag. At some point, the spool starts spinning when you crank the handle. Most were at published number. My fathom 40 was 18#. My JX g-2 was only 13# instead of 21#.
Nice!

With the drag knob cranked down so much were you able to move the lever all the way to sunset? It gets so hard to push lever at the higher drag settings. Feels like something's gonna break.