Shimano Max Cuatro breaking

Screef

Aug 10, 2014
Name
Duy
Boat
Has anyone experienced breaking issues with the max cuatro line? I recently got the 80lb hi vis yellow for my Tac-12ii and it has snapped twice while tying the knots. One time it snapped 4 inches above my FG knot as I was tightening the knot and another time it popped at the tag end of the FG knot as I was tightening it. I was using knot pullers and both breaks were away from the pullers and knots. Also, I had 65lb hi vis yellow on my Mak-8ii and that snapped above the knot as I was setting my drag on a drag scale. That snapped at 16lbs.

I was just wondering what everyone's experience was with max cuatro and debating on switching them out with regular Izor. The MC seems kind of brittle. Any input is appreciated. Thanks. Kinda bummed that I spent $90 for 500yds of the 80lb.

Reactions: clevel
Upvote 0

miaf

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
Be sure you actually got Max Cuatro. Lots of counterfeit products out there. Especially if bought on the internet. I bought a couple of spools of Power Pro at Sports Authority (before they went out of business) and all of them had counterfeit spools inside. SA returned them no problem.

Reactions: Puller
Upvote 0

Screef

Aug 10, 2014
Name
Duy
Boat
Be sure you actually got Max Cuatro. Lots of counterfeit products out there. Especially if bought on the internet. I bought a couple of spools of Power Pro at Sports Authority (before they went out of business) and all of them had counterfeit spools inside. SA returned them no problem.

I got the max cuatro from The Longfin in Orange so I'm pretty sure it wasn't a counterfeit. How would you be able to tell if they were counterfeit? Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Last month my 80# snapped 150ft up while fighting a YT. Thought maybe it had some kind of abrasion but after seeing this I'm not so sure.

Upvote 0

clevel

Skipper
  • Jun 4, 2011
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Cabo Jack
    Boat
    Cobia 261
    Has anyone experienced breaking issues with the max cuatro line? I recently got the 80lb hi vis yellow for my Tac-12ii and it has snapped twice while tying the knots. One time it snapped 4 inches above my FG knot as I was tightening the knot and another time it popped at the tag end of the FG knot as I was tightening it. I was using knot pullers and both breaks were away from the pullers and knots. Also, I had 65lb hi vis yellow on my Mak-8ii and that snapped above the knot as I was setting my drag on a drag scale. That snapped at 16lbs.

I was just wondering what everyone's experience was with max cuatro and debating on switching them out with regular Izor. The MC seems kind of brittle. Any input is appreciated. Thanks. Kinda bummed that I spent $90 for 500yds of the 80lb.
    I posted a same issue with my 80lb Power Pro Max Q last week, it snapped at about half the rated strength.

Upvote 0

r8rs4lf

Jun 17, 2017
    Tree Juan ho
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    Salty AF
    I use Max exclusively (50#, 65#, 80#) and haven't had any issues so far.

Upvote 0

tresbien

No.... But Willing To Learn
    Aug 19, 2008
    Lake Forest, Ca
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    18' CC Holiday (RIP 1999)
    Ive had 50# Jerry Brown One Line snap when cinching down my Bob Sands Knot several times and it makes me hesitant to fish it offshore but haven't had any issues yet while on a fish

RKBridges

Feb 22, 2017
    Florida
    Name
    Tally
    Boat
    RKB
    I’ve used 20#, 40#, 50# and 65# pretty extensively with no issues. Definitely not the first I’ve heard of this though.

Upvote 0

Bantam1

Shimano Rep
    Sep 13, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    N/A
    If you feel there is an issue with the line you can certainly send in line for testing and replacement. Give our customer service a call and they will send you the line testing form and explain the procedure.

Reactions: aguachico
    Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    If you feel there is an issue with the line you can certainly send in line for testing and replacement. Give our customer service a call and they will send you the line testing form and explain the procedure.

Well there you go. I have it spooled on my Tranx, works great no issues. Good to know there's a procedure to solve issues.

Upvote 0

Screef

Aug 10, 2014
    Name
    Duy
    Boat
    Thanks Dan. Really appreciate the help.

Upvote 0

TunaTonight

Almost A Member
    Mar 31, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    Carlos
    Boat
    Sold
    I have all my reels with Maxcuatro, never had a problem. As others said, counterfeit products are online, make sure you have a genuine product.
    I heard you can test if it’s real or fake by burning the end of the line and if it burns immediately like dinamite it’s supposed to be fake. Not sure if this is true have never tried it...

Upvote 0

furgus

Nov 30, 2005
    Anaheim
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    none
    I have 80lb on a Tac-12ii that bested a 160lb bft after a long fight. The maxcuatro and Tac12 held up with no issues. The extra capacity was very helpful.

Reactions: Screef
    Upvote 0

r8rs4lf

Jun 17, 2017
    Tree Juan ho
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    Salty AF
    I have 80lb on a Tac-12ii that bested a 160lb bft after a long fight. The maxcuatro and Tac12 held up with no issues. The extra capacity was very helpful.

Exact set up I use for 60# with a UC Predator, what rod do you have paired with it?

Upvote 0

furgus

Nov 30, 2005
    Anaheim
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    none
    Exact set up I use for 60# with a UC Predator, what rod do you have paired with it?

Unfortunately I had the wrong rod and it was bottomed out. This is why the fight lasted so long. I am looking at the Phenix hax 780x2h to pair with now for a trip next week. Suggestions are welcome.

I know I should be using a reel more suited to the task, but I am not a long range guy. These reels are more versatile for me to in everyday use.

Upvote 0

r8rs4lf

Jun 17, 2017
    Tree Juan ho
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    Salty AF
    Unfortunately I had the wrong rod and it was bottomed out. This is why the fight lasted so long. I am looking at the Phenix hax 780x2h to pair with now for a trip next week. Suggestions are welcome.

I know I should be using a reel more suited to the task, but I am not a long range guy. These reels are more versatile for me to in everyday use.

What's wrong with the 12ii? Same reel as the 16ii except for capacity. I got 500 yards of max on mine.

Reactions: bluewaterbum
    Upvote 0