Maui Surf Fishing

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Cotojoe, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Cotojoe

Cotojoe Newbie

Name:
    Joe Doyle
    Mele Kalikimaka!

I'll be staying in South Maui (Kihei/Wailea area) from 12/27 till 1/7 and I'd love to get some surf fishing in every day. I've been surf fishing So Cal with light tackle (mostly C&R). I'm bringing my Shimano 8 ft rod, Sedona spinning reel with #8lb P-line, and some lures & plastics.

I've been going to Maui for 25 years, snorkel & dive all the time but only fished once... got a small papio. I'd like to target game type fish- papio, blue trevally and bonefish and leave all those other pretty tropical fish alone! I know my way around the island and will have a car... and I'll probably be up around Honolua Bay since my 2 boys in their 20's are pretty good surfers and they'll drag me up their to take photos.

I'll probably go out on a boat one day - Maalaea or Lahaina - but I'd appreciate if anyone can recco a great captain & boat.

I'd really appreciate any advice you'd feel comfortable giving... or a fishing buddy (I'll buy the beer!) :hali_olutta: Please feel free to reply or PM.

Mahalo

2. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    See Deli at slip 12 in Lahaina Harbor.He has fished on Maui for 30+ years.Thanks for joining BD.Doug

3. FishMoreNow

FishMoreNow Newbie

Name:
    Tom Oates
    Boat:
    21.5 Maxum - Temptress
    Welcome to the boards! Check past threads. The charter advice question comes up about every three weeks or so. Shore fishing comes up quite often as well. Papio are a blast but hard to come by. Best to just chuck some spoons or kastmasters. Stop by the grocery store and get some squid.

Enjoy!

Tom

4. Cotojoe

Cotojoe Newbie

Name:
    Joe Doyle
    thanks guys! I've been digging thru some past threads and have seen some good stuff!!

If anyone has a boat and whats someone to chip in for gas... I'm your man!!!