Maui surf fishin

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by CAM38, Mar 15, 2019.

1. CAM38

CAM38 Member

Name:
    Cam
    Boat:
    16' Tiderunner
    Headed to Maui for 2 weeks, 1 in Kihei and 1 in Lahaina. Already booked a charter with Die Hard, but would like to surf fish too. Any recomendations on what to use for bait/rigging setup and what areas are good? Anything on the island a must do?

2. ☆THRASHER☆

☆THRASHER☆ Thrashing Some Rods.

Name:
    Jason Champion
    Boat:
    GW 272 sailfish
    Contact Big Island baits, here's a link. The guy is awesome and his baits kill. I'll be running some of his little grub creatures for sea bass this year.

http://www.bigislandbaits.com/

Go eat this stuff, stop by on your way to or from the airport and it's not too far out of your way. It's well worth it. The stuff is like crack not ice cream and not shave ice. Screenshot_20190315-144242_Google.jpg
    If you are on the other side of the island, I'd say try and find Maliko Gulch. I killed a lot of fish there when I was young. Probably a fucking hotel or some shit in there now.

3. Ugly Bayliner

Ugly Bayliner I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve Ericsson
    Boat:
    20' Ugly Bayliner
    Go to a dive shop rent snorkel gear and spear gun and kill your own dinner every night. Had cousins that did this and had great meals every night including a small octopus.

CartridgeCalls likes this.
  4. Reel Hooker

Reel Hooker I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Benjamin
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
    steelhead spinning rod. 1/2oz-1oz egg sinker, bead, barrel swivel, 2’-6’ leader and a size 2 snelled hook. Add a 2” grub tail to you hook and cast it out as far as you can and reel in as fast as you can. That’s it, hold in

CartridgeCalls and PNWMatt2016 like this.
  5. CAM38

CAM38 Member

Name:
    Cam
    Boat:
    16' Tiderunner
    Thanks guys, good advice.

6. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
  7. ☆THRASHER☆

Name:
    Jason Champion
    Boat:
    GW 272 sailfish
    Big Island baits responds to Messenger on Facebook and Instagram as well, I've ordered stuff a few times and Andy is a very helpful resource when heading to the islands. 20180602_081003.jpg

8. Waterdog~

Waterdog~ Just one more

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Tiderunner
    Ono taco truck..….get the shrimp burritos in Lahaina...……..

Ugly Bayliner and CartridgeCalls like this.
  9. PNWMatt2016

PNWMatt2016 Member

Name:
    Matt Frazier
    Boat:
    Need One!
    Grub tails, shrimp pieces, other jigs. Early morning and fading light! Egg sinker! Whing em and ding em. Lots of reef fish looking for something to chew on.

10. EJ Swanny

EJ Swanny I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    Do the locals guard surf fish-spots, as much as their surf, surf spots? Does one have to watch out??? Plan on going in a couple years..thanks.......

11. CAM38

CAM38 Member

Name:
    Cam
    Boat:
    16' Tiderunner
    Well didn't have that problem on Oahu, and we stayed on both sides of the island. But I didn't catch shit from shore either! Did see locals wade past both places every day though casting. Both were lava past the sand so lots of breakoffs.

12. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    30 Rampage "Playin Hooky"
    There are places on each Island where you probably would not want to go..... I would ask the local fishing supply or dive shop what places tend to be locals only, or to stay away from, they will tell you.

Near the resort areas up in Lahaina are not too many locals, so you’re safe....

The Waianae side of Oahu has some areas you you could get chased off by some big local boys..... I lived on Oahu and never had a problem, but heard of some guys who did.... I have visited the other islands and did have a little beef up in Hilo at a small boat launch area.... It worked itself out...

13. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    The island has 4 sides... :-)

North shore is pretty chill, Waikiki all the up around pas Kailua and back to Northshore is all pretty chill, but the West Side (Waianae) does have its problems...

Theres not much in the way of tourism over there. I have stayed there several times on vacation at the Military housing in Pokae Bay. Great quiet little place.

14. Waterdog~

Waterdog~ Just one more

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Tiderunner
    Beer is always your friend when going to any local spot...….

15. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Very true! But sometimes it will only get you so far....

16. PNWMatt2016

PNWMatt2016 Member

Name:
    Matt Frazier
    Boat:
    Need One!
    I think the only local spots you'd have to "worry about" are for Ulua (GT)...which I'm not even sure about on Maui. There are so many spots in the Hotel Zone, you'll be able to find somewhere to wade. I would find any rocky outcroppings...deep drop offs...and like previously mentioned call the local tackle shops!

17. Waterdog~

Waterdog~ Just one more

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Tiderunner
    Depends if your a dick or not...……….

18. ☆THRASHER☆

Name:
    Jason Champion
    Boat:
    GW 272 sailfish
    In my experience, there is not a ton to worry about unless you're Crossing private property and just being an idiot. Also not advised to wear brightly colored Hawaiian shirts golf shorts or neon green Crocs. There are dick heads all around the world but that's why we develop social skills to deal with dick heads and avoid confrontation

TonyG, Waterdog~ and CartridgeCalls like this.
  19. FishPimpII

FishPimpII Dreaming about the next boat...

Name:
    Jeff Nelson
    Boat:
    Deckhand of "JuiceboxII" now that the FishpimpII is sold
    Now keep in mind some of this advice is coming from the guy who has just this month invited multiple people from this website to come fight him at his house so if you aren’t wired that way your experience may vary.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  20. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Not really true Jeff.... Not once did I invite a single person to fight.... Or to my house.... when other people start talking like tough guys or saying that I’m only big behind a keyboard I do let them know I am happy talk in in person too.... I will not back down on keyboard or in real life....

And just to be clear, Iad an amazing time living there, on numerous vacations on various islands and never had an issue as stated above. In Hilo I saw a fisherman at local boat ramp with a nice haul of fish and asked him how he fishes for those and he got all shitty and territorial.... I met him right back and told him to fuck off and if he came to me in Oregon I would be happy to tell him what kind fish and how to catch.... We then had a beer.....

You may have the wrong impression of me... I get along well with people, but I’m also 6’2”, 215 and grew up scrapping and been in a few brawls and know how to take care of myself....

As for the islands, you who have not lived there might be talking out your ass.... there are places you don’t go and can get your ass handed to you just for being a white guy.... Nanakuli Beach Park on the West Side of Oahu has been rumored to be one of those places.... I used to dive and fish there, but I was told by some people that the large number of locals who are homeless live there and some people have had problems... There are other places too... My brother lives inn Maui and is a surfer and a few times he has had run ins.....

“You want scrap”...... Hawaiian for I’m gonna kick your ass! Lol..

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019