PNWMatt2016

Sep 12, 2016
Bothell
Name
Matt Frazier
Boat
Need One!
Hey Everyone,

Brand new to the site. I was recommended here by Vance on the Kelli Ann.

I am going to Maui the last week in October. I do not believe that we will be island hopping; so what charters would everyone recommend out of Lahaina? I have never fished in Hawaii before; and am not sure what species you can catch this time of the year! Should I spend the $$$ on a shared trip; or should I pack up my 10' beach rod with spinning tackle?

I would love to target large bill fish: Marlin/Sail, etc... But would be just as happy to go for Mahi/Tuna, etc...especially for dinner!

Should I expect most captains/owners to keep the catch for market or will some outfitters let me take home entire fish/ some fillets?

Thanks much for the help. If anyone would like to do some fishing off the coast of WA; and can offer a trade, I would be all ears. I can offer spots on my friends boat, we go out for Rockfish, Lingcod, Halibut, Salmon and Albacore and Dungeness Crab.

MaTT :)

Upvote 0

IrieMitch

Waterman
May 18, 2010
Newport Beach, CA
Name
Mitch
Boat
Captain of Papa's Haven (52' Cabo), Thunderbird Sportfishing
Good luck, let us know how you do!

Upvote 0

The Right Kind

Slave to a Boat
  • Jul 9, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    https://www.sportfishingmaui.com/

It seems that the hot charter boat changes from time to time but I think Start Me Up sport fishing is the top boat right now. When we were there they wanted to leave extra early (in the dark) to make bait and make the long run to the fish. Others where just fishing local for nothing, a boat ride.

Upvote 0

prater

Almost A Member
    Oct 16, 2007
    lake havasu city, AZ
    Name
    michael
    Boat
    luhrs 30 open, "Arms Wide Open"
    Chartered several times in Maui. Two things I've found:
    1) Walk the dock and choose the boat right for you. Shouldn't be much of an issue in late October if you're fairly flexible on the day you go, even with fairly popular boats, such as the 37' Merritt the Finest Kind (one of the boats I've chartered, but I've had several other boats I also liked).
    2) The billfish grounds are a long way away from the island. Most trips will leave 0600 or so and fish around Lanai, which is still fairly shallow and not optimal grounds. If you're looking for the best big game fishing, you want boats willing to leave around midnight and go out to the deep grounds, which are well behind Lanai in the open ocean.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

PNWMatt2016

Sep 12, 2016
    Bothell
    Name
    Matt Frazier
    Boat
    Need One!
    Thanks everyone. Appreciate the wishes and the information. I looked into a lot of reviews; over all, I found Die Hard had a great combination of experienced captain; pleasant crew, plentiful fishing time and catches brought to the dock. I booked an 8 hour + trip. Depending on the moon phase, we will leave as early as 11pm the night before; and up to 2 am the morning of. Making bait; and then heading to the grounds to catch first bites. If we can load up on Mahi and Tuna; there is the possibility of setting out for Marlin or any other bill fish. I am really excited. This will be a great adventure.

Post trip pictures to come!

Upvote 0

BajaMike

Cabo Local
    Dec 21, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    35' Cabo Socorro
    Be sure to have a clear understanding with the captain up front that you will want to take enough fish for your personal use. Selling fish is how these charters make money and they are often reluctant to share.

Upvote 0

PNWMatt2016

Sep 12, 2016
    Bothell
    Name
    Matt Frazier
    Boat
    Need One!
    Thanks BajaMike. That was another necessity I was looking for regarding charters. I read many reviews from trip advisor/yelp/their website and everyone said they were fair in handing out take home fillets. I spoke with the gal who books their trips and she said if you wanted to take some fish back for your family or personal use; it would be no problem and they are always willing. Captain Fuzzy sounds like he is a top captain in the area. I can't wait.

Upvote 0

carterantebi

I hate fishing
    Oct 9, 2016
    Coronado
    Name
    Carter
    Boat
    Grande!
    I as well am headed to Lahaina and was looking into Die Hard... What day are you booking for, and are you doing a shared trip? I'm looking into this Saturday or Sunday depending on the moon.

Upvote 0

PNWMatt2016

Sep 12, 2016
    Bothell
    Name
    Matt Frazier
    Boat
    Need One!
    Hey carterantebi,

I am going October 22-30. Booked for Monday October 24th. We will probably leave around 11pm/midnight on Sunday. Booked an 8hour+ shared trip. If you call; you should be in touch with Devyenne; she is really nice. Tell her you you got told to call Die Hard from the Bloodydeck website. I requested to go with captain Fuzzy. He is a great fisherman and puts in the hours. They leave early to catch live bait and the trip will probably be longer than 8 hours. So really worth the $$$.

Upvote 0

carterantebi

I hate fishing
    Oct 9, 2016
    Coronado
    Name
    Carter
    Boat
    Grande!
    Just went yesterday, in case you are wondering how it went, I'll just leave you a few pictures...
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Upvote 0

carterantebi

I hate fishing
    Oct 9, 2016
    Coronado
    Name
    Carter
    Boat
    Grande!
    Yup, went with Fuzzy and Sam. We went wayyyy out to a secret spot, and it took about 4 hours to get there, and we fished frozen mackerel for around 45 minutes at most and it was WFO the entire time we were there. However, the fish kept spitting hooks right by the boat, so that was a pain. We did have a 4 or 5 way hookup at one point, but in total only 4 fish were landed. We weren't out there very long before fuzzy spotted a boat or two headed our way on the horizon and we set up some trolling rigs and got the hell out of there. Apparently since El Niño has brought up the water temps, everyone but Die Hard has been getting skunked, so the rest of the boats are super desperate to find the spot. We didn't get anything trolling, and I was kinda bummed that we spent 8 hours total getting to the spot and back for only a small window of fishing. I feel like everyone on the boat would have been thrilled if we spent even just another 15-20 minutes there since there was a gigantic school right under us the whole time. Either that or if we had just left earlier, then we wouldn't have to worry about swell and competing boats. Then again, Fuzzy's the captain, and he probably knows far better than I do. My best advice is take lots of Dramamine or Bonine well in advance to the trip. It got pretty rough out there, and Sam was saying that it was the calmest day he's seen in months. To my standards, 3-5 ft swells is a bit much.

Anyways, good luck, hope the water cools a bit for you guys!

Upvote 0

PNWMatt2016

Sep 12, 2016
    Bothell
    Name
    Matt Frazier
    Boat
    Need One!
    Ya I hope the weather cooperates for us. I am excited just to get out and try some action on Tuna and Mahi. Obviously it would be amazing to hook up with a bill fish; but it's fishing! We are still scheduled for a Sunday night departure probably around 11pm or so. Then whenever we get back Monday. Is Fuzzy a nice guy? I have heard great things about him and the company!

Upvote 0

carterantebi

I hate fishing
    Oct 9, 2016
    Coronado
    Name
    Carter
    Boat
    Grande!
    Yeah Fuzzy's the only Hawaiian native born and raised running out of there. All the other captains in Maui are from the mainland, mostly California. He works hard to get on the fish. He doesn't leave the flybridge and tuna towers that much though, since he's concentrated on driving and watching the fishfinder, radar, and spotting schools from the tuna tower. When you get on a boiling school, he gets a little excited because he NEEDS as many fish landed as possible, just don't take anything personal. Just listen to what he says, because he can see what the fish is doing from the flybridge far better than you can from the deck. If he screams the fish is about to jump close to the boat, you better start cranking hard to keep tension.

Reactions: I'M OFF
    Upvote 0

PNWMatt2016

Sep 12, 2016
    Bothell
    Name
    Matt Frazier
    Boat
    Need One!
    Well.. I made it back!

What a trip. 7 days in paradise. I could not have asked for a better way to spend my vacation. We got into town Saturday afternoon and my trip departed Sunday evening. Die Hard Sport Fishing was the way to go!!! Captain Fuzzy is the man! He and Sam made sure we knew what was going on; and they tried their hardest, to get us on fish!!! We got to the boat around 11pm and took off immediately. It was about 1:30am or 2am that we got to the bait grounds. It was windier than hell and bumpy!!! Probably 20 knots and around a 3-4 foot washing machine swell...So for a 36' boat that was top heavy, we were rolling around a bit. haha. We jigged for mackerel and any other bait fish for probably an hour and a half. We ended up with around 15 mackerel; a flying fish and a squid. We took off for the first spot he had in mind. It wasn't until about 20-30 minutes before daylight (6am); that Sam woke us up and slapped some waist belts on us and gave us the low down. We worked the first area for around an hour and a half. We hooked up with 3 three fish; I landed the first and the other two shook off. With no other promising bites or indicators that fish were around; we took off for a couple other spots. On the way, we trolled big marlin jigs around 6 knots. No takers; which I was bummed about; I was really hoping for the chance to even get a few decent reels on a bill fish.; but that is fishing!!! We proceeded to fish another floating bouy and only got a couple there. As the day was coming to an end; and with only 3 fish in our box; it was looking dismal. But then, Sam had been texting another captain and found out some great news; right near the south tip of west maui; a guy had found a "floater"; it was a giant piece of foam/bouy pieces/rope/netting/etc...So we steamed over. Because no one had live bait; they were striking out; so as soon as we made a few passes; BAM! fish on!
    We ended up with 12 Mahi. All decent sized fish. 10-20lb range. One of the guys on the boat lost one right as Sam was going to gaff it; it was around a 40lb Bull. We got back to the dock around 11:30am. Most other boats only got 1-5 fish; so we did pretty well. I took back 2 fish (filleted and skinned; courtesy of Fuzzy) for fish tacos at the hotel. We grilled them up and the family was in heaven; plus a few other people who had never eaten fresh Mahi before. Great trip. No question I would book with Fuzzy again. This is a working boat; not a sight seeing boat; which I really appreciate.

Maui 2016 036.JPG Maui 2016 040.JPG Maui 2016 041.JPG Maui 2016 049.JPG Maui 2016 057.JPG Maui 2016 059.JPG Maui 2016 062.JPG

Upvote 0

carterantebi

I hate fishing
    Oct 9, 2016
    Coronado
    Name
    Carter
    Boat
    Grande!
    Just seeing this now, and WOW!! You guys lucked out on finding that floater. I was kinda bummed that we only got to fish for MAYBE an hour, but I'm very impressed with the service. First mahi for me. I'm still not sure why we took off so early, but if we stayed another 20 minutes maybe, we would have done great, and nobody would have been skunked. Thanks for the follow up report!

Upvote 0

David Brennan

Oct 11, 2019
    orlando
    Name
    david
    Boat
    none
    Hey Everyone,

Brand new to the site. I was recommended here by Vance on the Kelli Ann.

I am going to Maui the last week in October. I do not believe that we will be island hopping; so what charters would everyone recommend out of Lahaina? I have never fished in Hawaii before; and am not sure what species you can catch this time of the year! Should I spend the $$$ on a shared trip; or should I pack up my 10' beach rod with spinning tackle?

I would love to target large bill fish: Marlin/Sail, etc... But would be just as happy to go for Mahi/Tuna, etc...especially for dinner!

Should I expect most captains/owners to keep the catch for market or will some outfitters let me take home entire fish/ some fillets?

Thanks much for the help. If anyone would like to do some fishing off the coast of WA; and can offer a trade, I would be all ears. I can offer spots on my friends boat, we go out for Rockfish, Lingcod, Halibut, Salmon and Albacore and Dungeness Crab.

MaTT :)
    I'm actually heading out there at the end of October too. Was going to look to jump on an open boat if there was one available. If you have an extra spot I could prob join you.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0