Don’t know
Mar 15, 2008
Dana Point
Name
Matt Vander Dussen
Boat Name
19.5 Chaparel Striker
halibut_202.jpg

My dad and i fished horseshoe kelp for some butts today and we got two legal ones. Mine weighed 45.4 pounds at a certified scale at the gas dock at los alamitos bay. I got it on my abu garcia revo inshore with 12 pound test. It took me about 20 minutes to get it in. I was hoping for a 15 pounder and when it came up it took my breath away. When we took it to weigh it my dad put the hook in a bad spot on the fish and it breaks the skin and falls right off into the water!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I jump in and try to get it but it is too deep. The guy at the dock sees a cleaning diver and my dad calls to him and flags him down. He dove down and got it!!!!!!!!!!!! We got lucky on that one. According to the IFGA website this beats the jr. record for california halibut by nine pounds so i am going to submit it and hope they take it. We got lots of big steaks from that fish. This was an amazing day and had a close call but it turned out alright. If anyone has submitted a record fish to this before and would give me any advice that would great thanks.

halibut 2.jpg halibut 3.jpg halibut 4.jpg halibut 5.jpg halbut meat 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

KennyMac

Jun 27, 2005
South Bay/Torrance Area
Name
Kenny
Boat Name
It's in the ex-wife's driveway (thanks for reminding me).
Congratulations on the big azz toad, and good luck with the record too!

Upvote 0

5150dude

I Should Upgrade My Account
Nov 12, 2006
Dana Point, Cali
Name
Dave
Boat Name
Parker 2320 "Nostrovia!" (to you're health!"), 12' Livingston cat
Outstanding!
Great job on the catch AND the save.
Dave

Upvote 0

ambush1

Swagger Lures,
Jul 24, 2006
lakewood
Name
brett bumz
Boat Name
23' Seaswirl Cuddy Cabin BUM N OUT
Wheres horseshoe kelp? My buddy cought a 54 #der off blacks...
thats good there is no horseshoe kelp the moved it to sd a few years back nice fish man hope you top out on it what were u using for bate how deep in the "horseshoe kelp" where u fishing remeber the horseshoe move last year hahahahha

Upvote 0

dru

Alleged Conspirator
Oct 4, 2004
Squaremont
Name
Kinda complicated
Boat Name
Nautique
yep, that's massive. Nice work Matt....

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat Name
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
I can only think of 3 things to say...
1.Wow!
2.Congratulations!
3.Good luck!

Upvote 0

Husker Heaven

Dec 17, 2007
Oceanside
Name
Lance
Boat Name
34 Silverton
Wow! Congratulations on a HUGE halibut, even better on 12 lb test - you should be proud of that one! Losing it like that makes for a better story, but I bet your Dad just about had a heart attack when you couldn't catch it in time.

Gonna be tough to beat that one, congratulations and good luck getting the jr record, what's the record for 12 lb test? You have to be close!

Upvote 0

fishman27

Don’t know
Mar 15, 2008
Dana Point
Name
Matt Vander Dussen
Boat Name
19.5 Chaparel Striker
Wow! Congratulations on a HUGE halibut, even better on 12 lb test - you should be proud of that one! Losing it like that makes for a better story, but I bet your Dad just about had a heart attack when you couldn't catch it in time.

Gonna be tough to beat that one, congratulations and good luck getting the jr record, what's the record for 12 lb test? You have to be close!
yeah my dad did, it was scary and the record for 12 is 52 so i was 7 pounds off but hopefully i'll at least get the jr. so i can convince my mom to get a custom mount thing. so i can show it off in the garage

Upvote 0

geno machino

"Relax" - Everything is going to be just fine!
Feb 9, 2007
O'side
Name
Gene
Boat Name
Boat Ho
YEA BABY!

Upvote 0

Jaws

Almost A Member
May 21, 2006
SD
Name
wade
Boat Name
18 parker
Congratulations-if there ever was a time to kick your dads butt that was it! Good luck on IGF submittal

Upvote 0

MAD2NA

Nov 26, 2007
Long Beach
Name
Adam
Boat Name
2007 22' triumph center console
you are the man and thats double for dad who spends time with you experiencing the beauty of the ocean . good luck with that record you deserve it !

Upvote 0

yellowdog

Jul 6, 2007
O'side
Name
Bill
Boat Name
20' Seapro
See if you can get those two smiles on you and your dad mounted too. WTG, hope you get the record. Only advice I can give is to get your dad a mask and snorkel if you're gonna still fish with him. J/K - great job, Dad!

Upvote 0