Pre-Rigged%2010inch%20Jigging%20Hogy%20Eel%20Bone%20700.jpg
Hogy brand

177885%5F15698
Slug-go brand

ronz.jpg
Ron-Z brand

All soft plastics with lead head.

3eb724_335d5f8bc67b77f411f164e899bb6233.jpg

Similar to what we have but the plastic is a bit shorter and has a tail on it. Definitely worth a try. A sardine or anchovie color would be great. Let us know if it works.

Upvote 0

NFD

May 2, 2016
Hopkinton, MA
Name
Neal
Boat
16' Key West CC
Simi

Similar to what we have but the plastic is a bit shorter and has a tail on it. Definitely worth a try. A sardine or anchovie color would be great. Let us know if it works.

We also use the smaller, fatter, paddle tail ones, but they fish totally different. The ones with the paddle tails can simply be retrieved and the tail provides the action, and generally how fast you reel determines how it swims. All three of those I posted fish different, but their action is based more on a twitch, jerk or jigging action.

This time of year what is the primary bait fish? Size? Color?

Upvote 0

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Yup, the ones with the tails. 4 to 6 to 8 inches. All depends on the head weight. Sardine color is the blue and grey, anchoivie is more of a silver and mackerel is kind of blue -green. But I guess anyone will work. As far as speed of bring it in, it just depends on the condition. Bring what you have, if you have room and ask the deck hand to pick one or two. They should know what's been working the past few days. Like I said, they are the experts here.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
We use a very similar bait from other brands that we just call slugs for Calico bass. We wind them over the top of thick matted kelp on the surface and the Calicos bust through the kelp on them. Really fun fishing if they want the slug.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bill W
Upvote 0

mcrae

More wishing than fishing
Sep 30, 2007
Central California
Name
McRae
Boat
none
Big soft plastic baits work well for rock cod and ling cod but everything works well for them. It's like enticing Bluefish to bite.

Upvote 0

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
Spokane, Washington
Name
Doug Pineo
Boat
16 foot 1955 Crestliner
Guys, Great information, thanks to all who have replied and P.M.'d me. Due to time constraints I'm afraid a long-range trip is not in the cards, but I've called those catch numbers and unless an opening on a 4-6packk shows up, I think that would fit my budget and time constraints.

I checked out some videos, and have a better sense of what the long-range boats are all about, maybe I'll pick up one of the books while i'm out there for the flight back.

Sounds like most of the fishing is done with "irons" or live sardines. Does anyone out there use sluggos? This is a go-to for me and many others on the east coast for many species from Stripers to BFT.

Also, the rental gear on a party/sport boat, is that done in advance or on the boat? looks like mostly casting conventional reels? Are plugs/irons/hooks sold on the boat, or is that something that has to be done prior to leaving the dock? One other thing, I love to eat freshly caught fish, but staying in a hotel does not lend itself to "cooking the catch". How is fish handled after it's caught?

Neal
The San Diego long range and day boat fleet is unique not for the species caught, but for the care and processing available when the boat returns to port. There are several excellent processors waiting at the dock to process and flash freeze your catch. My favorite is 5 Star, though last year I experimented with Fisherman's Processing, and the results were outstanding.

For locals, they also will process and many southern California anglers take fresh fish home, or a combination. For those of us flying in from far away, vacuum-packed frozen portions are the only way to go. Five Star and Fisherman's send the fish home to you in insulated boxes with frozen gel packs. Over the past 20 years, my fish has always arrived home in perfect frozen condition. And no, they don't "mix and match" your catch with others' fish. At least not Fisherman's or 5 Star. This processing service is not available anywhere on the east coast or Gulf Coast. I see photos of dorado and yellowfin tuna hanging on a rack, baking in the hot sun of Venice, Louisiana, over a bunch of grinning "anglers", and it just makes me laugh. Ruined fish. In San Diego, they treat the fish with the care and respect they deserve. As others have warned above, if you ever get to do a 5,6,7,8 day trip in summer on one of the long range boats, you better start saving for tackle and airfare. You'll be gut-hooked, and there's no going back!

Upvote 0

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
I agree with Doug on the fish processing. However this is usually for the long range fleet. They are at the dock in the morning and don't meet the 3/4 day boats. But you can arrange with Five Star and possibly the others to drop the fish off and they will take care of it. Call Five Star and ask how it works. They are located close the the freeway. Or you can email them.

http://www.fivestarfishprocessingservices.com/

Upvote 0

skotz

Can't wait for the next bite!
Jun 22, 2009
Modesto, Ca. USA
Name
Skot
Boat
Seaswirl Spyder
Avid East Coast fisherman making a trip to S.D. for the first time. I'm a member of Reel-Time and Stripers online and thought I'd check out BD. I've been reading over some of the threads here, but some of the things are just plain different East vs. West.

My wife has a business trip to S.D. in a few weeks, and I'm going to fly out to meet her for the latter half of the week/weekend. I'll have a Thursday on my own and thought about spending the day fishing, but not sure what to expect. Back home charter's are basically 3 hours or 6 hours. It appears SD is 1/2 day, 3/4 day and several day trips. It also appears "sport fishing" is what we would consider "head boat" fishing ...meaning lots of people on a large boat, that would only be for bottom fishing back East, but do they target other fish on these boats in So. Cal.?

Another term not used here is 6-pack charters. At first glance this appeared to be a fishing trip where beer is more important than the fishing, but if I'm reading this correctly, it's more of a charter boat that takes 6 people?

So, I'm a serious fisherman that has a free day and would love to see what fishing is like in S.D. Most of my time in home waters is dedicated to Striped Bass and Bluefish, with occasional trips for flounder, sea bass or BFT. Do you guys have individuals that charter small boats, or do you share trips for inshore fishing? I guess I simply need some advice!

Thanks,
Neal

May I suggest that you shoot for a 3/4 day trip targeting yellow tail. They are good sized and fight like a big fat Bluefish. They are also great eating raw! No cooking needed and enjoy your catch when you get back to your room. If you do really well check out http://www.fivestarfishprocessingservices.com/ or the other processors. You can have your catch processed sealed and sent to you!

Upvote 0

NFD

May 2, 2016
Hopkinton, MA
Name
Neal
Boat
16' Key West CC
Again, great advise guys, thanks! Maybe if I'm lucky enough to find a decent yellowtail or 2 I'll look into having it sent home, but at this point the meat is not the draw.

Regarding gear, most of my fishing here is done on spinning gear. Over recent years I've downsized most of my gear to match my fishing, most stripers or bluefish from a boat can be brought to the rail with a 4000 size reel with 50lb. Braid and 40lb. fluoro/mono leaders. I have an 18,000 Saragosa that I've used to throw to smaller BFT and an 8000 Saragosa paired with an 8 ft rod, but yo be honest, I'm not sure I want to bring gear. What rod length is preferred on 3/4 trip? I do have one 3 or 4 piece travel rod, but it's 9.5 or 10 ft and designed more for the surf.

I've thought about buying a lighter conventional set up such as an avet sx 2 speed, I understand that style is popular for So. Cal. waters, I'm thinking this might be a good time to see them in action, before I plunk down $400. I'm hopeful whatever I rent will be serviceable, braid would be nice, but I'm sure I won't have much say at 5am (having arrived after shops will have closed the night prior).

Upvote 0

jerryl

Jul 17, 2011
West Hills, CA, USA
Name
Jerry
Boat
N/A
Again, great advise guys, thanks! Maybe if I'm lucky enough to find a decent yellowtail or 2 I'll look into having it sent home, but at this point the meat is not the draw.

Regarding gear, most of my fishing here is done on spinning gear. Over recent years I've downsized most of my gear to match my fishing, most stripers or bluefish from a boat can be brought to the rail with a 4000 size reel with 50lb. Braid and 40lb. fluoro/mono leaders. I have an 18,000 Saragosa that I've used to throw to smaller BFT and an 8000 Saragosa paired with an 8 ft rod, but yo be honest, I'm not sure I want to bring gear. What rod length is preferred on 3/4 trip? I do have one 3 or 4 piece travel rod, but it's 9.5 or 10 ft and designed more for the surf.

I've thought about buying a lighter conventional set up such as an avet sx 2 speed, I understand that style is popular for So. Cal. waters, I'm thinking this might be a good time to see them in action, before I plunk down $400. I'm hopeful whatever I rent will be serviceable, braid would be nice, but I'm sure I won't have much say at 5am (having arrived after shops will have closed the night prior).

You'll kill em with the spinning gear. If you can bring or ship them over to a friend who lives in SD, you don't have to rent any gear.

Upvote 0

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Neal.

As I recall your trip is coming up soon. The rental gear is most likely a conventional reel. I would not spend the money on a new reel, unless your are committed to use it back east or you are planning to become a west coast angler.

As you are aware, casting a conventional reel is all thumb control to avoid a birds nest. It still happens to many of us. Mono is a lot easier to get the birds nest out than braid.

If you have the time and know someone with a conventional set up, go borrow it and practice casting in a parking lot or park. If not, then get the crew to show you how or even ask them to cast your bait out. Avet does have a nice feature with the MC to slow down the spool and decrease the free spool, but nothing is fool proof.

If you like our style of fishing, I would seriously come back for a longer trip, one that is sponsored by a reel company. they bring a lot of different reel for passengers to try. So you just need tackle.

If you are on structure and just dropping down, practice your thumb control. then if you have your fill and want to play, tie a jig on, go to the bow and practice.

Oh, bring a good line cutter, even a finger nail clipper will work.

Rich

Upvote 0

NFD

May 2, 2016
Hopkinton, MA
Name
Neal
Boat
16' Key West CC
Sitting in the airport now waiting for my flight to San Diego. I am planning on a 3/4 day trip on the Seaforth San Diego and plan to rent gear from them. Thanks to all who helped me better understand the fishery and helpped me plan my day on the water. Now I just need to find the dock...and hopefully some fish!

Reactions: Juanba
Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Sitting in the airport now waiting for my flight to San Diego. I am planning on a 3/4 day trip on the Seaforth San Diego and plan to rent gear from them. Thanks to all who helped me better understand the fishery and helpped me plan my day on the water. Now I just need to find the dock...and hopefully some fish!
Fishing out Here is Dangerous I Grew up in Western Mass
and came out here in 1977, for Vacation, and Did a Couple Trips
Moved out here too Orange County for good in 197e Best advice
I can give you , is talk to one of the Deck Hands and they will help a lot
plus just keep open Mind and have fun, and don't over think it

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Fishing out Here is Dangerous I Grew up in Western Mass
and came out here in 1977, for Vacation, and Did a Couple Trips
Moved out here too Orange County for good in 1978 Best advice
I can give you , is talk to one of the Deck Hands and they will help a lot
plus just keep open Mind and have fun, and don't over think it

Upvote 0

NFD

May 2, 2016
Hopkinton, MA
Name
Neal
Boat
16' Key West CC
Well I'm back from a short, but great stay in San Diego. I was previously unaware of the term "May Gray" until the past few days, but we still managed to get some sun and had a really nice time in a great city.
We managed to get to the zoo and Balboa Park, a Padres game, the USS Midway, point Loma lighthouse, had some great meals and some good beer too.
Now, to the fishing, I did the 3/4 day in the Seaforth, San Diego, a worthy vessel, (I was amazed at how much live bait the put on board! ). We steamed for about 2 and a half hours, well south of the Coronado islands. We found a few schools of Yellowtails, but they would not stick around for long, it was run and gun for a few hours, and took some time before anyone landed a fish. After close to two hours, (a two fish landed) the captain surmised they were on anchovies and would not be worth pursuing. So we headed back North, to the islands, stopping a few times along the way when schools were spotted on the sonar (a few others were landed). As the day wore on we managed to pick up a few schools of smaller fish off the eastern side of the south island.

I managed to hook two YT and got one over the rail! (the other went victim to a sealion as the tangles and crossed lines were dealt with.
The final tally was, I believe, 30 yellows spread over 40 anglers, so I was fortunate to get one. The captain worked hard to find additional fish, in fact, we didn't get back to the landing until 7pm. I met a lot of great people who are passionate about fishing and the crew did a decent job of helping me along.
All and all a good day otw. I'm still not sure this is my kind of fishing; the yellows were fun to target and they're great fighting fish, (and no doubt the prospect of other species gains appeal, as the spring becomes summer) but the mayhem of having that many lines all in one section of the boat and the chaos the develops because of it, had me pining for a 20 something foot boat and the relative civility of fishing with only a few friends.
I did thoroughly enjoy the day and wanted to thank all of you for your helphelp in teaching me about your fishery and guidance in making the trip a success.

Tight Lines,
Neal

Reactions: jerryl
Upvote 0

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Neal, glad you had some fun and hooked a yellowtail. It's a great eating fish. And as you know fishing can be hit or miss on any given day. Sharing the rail with 40 anglers can be a bit difficult. That is another reason to go on longer trips, the load is limited. Any way glad you enjoyed it. I'm off on a 15 day adventure. June heat aboard the RedRooster. Go to the Facebook page, Red Rooster III if you are interested in a real long trip. The first 4 days will be mostly traveling, then hopefully the big boys. If you decide to come out again, ask questions.

Rich

Upvote 0