BD Writer
Dec 4, 2009
Scituate Massachusetts
www.massbayguides.com
Name
Captain Greg Sears
Boat
"FORTUNA"
Mass Bay Guides will be posting our tuna fishing report for Mass Bay and Stellwagen Bank on this thread. Here are some reports from the 2009 season to get you started.

Can't wait to start posting tuna reports for the 2010 season so I resurrected this thread to get ready for the big bite of 2010.

Just sprinkle a little paint around and get the boat in the water! Then get me a cup of coffee!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Kings of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Queens</st1:place> <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<HR align=center width="100%" color=#cccccc noShade SIZE=1>
I had a group from Queens NY today. They claimed they have gone on charter trips together for twenty years. They also said they never catch anything but they love going fishing.

05:00 we left the dock and arrived at SW corner to find a big fleet of boats already working. I decided I would go east on the bank to avoid the fleet. My friend Eric from the boat "Four days out" called me and said he had hooked up not to far away, so I just kept going until I started seeing signs. We dropped the Riggs in and trolled about 2 miles (30 minutes) "Fish on" The angler had never caught a fish before and now he is strapped into a nice 150 pounder. The excitement of these guy had me rolling on the deck. We got the fish in about 30 minutes (but 30 minutes of absolute Laughter). We then proceeded to fill the box with nice 30 pound striper's. "Fish On" we hooked another Tuna angler number two your up ( holy crap I thought the first guy was funny) Now I got two anglers one reeling the fish and sitting on the other guys Lap (first time I saw this). OK now I thought I saw it all when "Fish On" I think angler number three was right out of the three stooges. I never heard so much groaning going on he was about to Blow a gasket or something. This guy looked like shemp when he roles on the floor when he got his fish in. Reminded me of (Skunked Again SFC) in his pictures with the Giant they caught.

A great day of fishing had by all including me. Nice weather and good fishing what more could you ask for. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>
July 8th Fireworks <o:p></o:p>
05:00 AM : <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Departed</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Scituate</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Harbor</st1:placeType></st1:place>
06:30 AM : Arrive 30 miles from home back breaking waves head sea the whole trip.
07:00 AM : Fish On! Angler number 1 shaking at the knees as I yell at him to put the belt on right side up.
07:01 AM : More yelling " even if you don't know what to do do something"
07:45 AM : Landed and kept a nice 63" fish
08:05 AM : Fish On! Angler number two confused and scared the fish is going to pull him over. ( Don't worry the rod is tied in you can't lose it)
08:06 AM : More yelling " Didn't I tell you the first time how to do that.
08:35 AM : Landed, Tagged and released a nice 68" fish.
08:45 AM : Fish On! Angler number three ready to go with his belt on upside down.
08:46 AM : I give up on the yelling
09:15 AM : Landed and Tagged a nice 65" fish.
09:30 AM : Fish On! Angler number 4 completely prepared and was telling everyone else what to do.
09:31 AM : No yelling
10:15 AM : Landed Tagged and released a nice 69" fish.
10:45 AM : Fish On! Angler number five already wants to quit and has Angler number six on Deck.
10:47 AM : Everyone calls Angler number 5 a pussy.
11:35 AM : Angler number six landed a nice 68" fish I ran out of tags so we took a skin sample for SMAST.
12:30 Pm : No fish for 50 minutes so they wanted to go home.
2:00 PM : Just sprinkle a little water around and get me a cup of coffee.<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1043 style="WIDTH: 12pt; HEIGHT: 12pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/images/smilies/smile.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Greg\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>

July 9, 2009 <o:p></o:p>
05:00 AM: Departed <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Scituate</st1:City></st1:place>
05:15 AM: Angler number one Blowing chunks of beer off the starboard side.
05:30 AM: Angler number two blowing something orange looked like spaghetti.
05:55 AM: Angler number three is the same shade of Grey as my house.
06:15 AM: Arrive at our destination.
06:55 AM: Fish on! Angler number four is chunking a good slick and not able to get to the rod.
07:20 AM: Angler number 5 landed a nice 68" fish.
08:15 AM: Fish On! Angler number six is steady as a rock has the fish under control in seconds.
08:30 AM: Angler number six landed a nice 65" fish Tagged and released.
08:35 AM: Heading for shelter from the Sea in order to not have to call an Air Lift for Anglers number 1,2,3,4,5 Angler number 6 is still steady as a rock.
09:00 AM: On the lee of the cape catching striper's and Blues for the rest of the day.
3:30 PM: Just sprinkle a little water around and get me a cup of coffee.<v:shape id=_x0000_i1045 style="WIDTH: 12pt; HEIGHT: 12pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"> <v:imagedata o:href="http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/images/smilies/smile.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Greg\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>

Sushi for Oshimi <o:p></o:p>
We had a very interesting charter today. I had the pleasure of taking 6 Sushi aficionados from <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Japan</st1:place></st1:country-region>. The plans where made months ago, they where coming from <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Japan</st1:place></st1:country-region> to catch their own sushi and ship it back themselves. They arrived yesterday and came to the docks with Cameras in hand<v:shape id=_x0000_i1046 style="WIDTH: 12pt; HEIGHT: 12pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"> <v:imagedata o:href="http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/images/smilies/biggrin.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Greg\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>They could speak very little English and actually needed an interpreter to make the booking.

We left the dock late at 6am because lightning storms where passing through. The whole ride out I could not understand a word they said. I just kept nodding and smiling and pretended I could understand Japanese. I spent a few months in japan and I can't even read one word much less understand someone speaking.

So" we get to the fishing grounds and my buddy Eric from "Four Days Out" tells me there is a bite down where he is. We get down there and "Fish on" for everyone all the boats hooked up instantly. we got our bite after a few boats hooked up.

"Fish on" Nice" I start the Chinese fire drill. " Oh yea Japanese fire drill. Oh Boy they can't understand a word of English. Hey buddy you got the belt on upside down he says Hi. We said Hi this morning put the belt on right, He says Hi again. Now I got four Japanese guys on the same rod. And no one reeling in the other Riggs. Hey bud start reeling in the other rods, he says Hi again and goes back to the rod with the fish. I finally yelled at Kerry because he was the only one who understood me. OK now I got five Japanese guys on the same rod ( they really want sushi ) I think the guy in the middle was reeling the guy on the left was holding the guy in the belt. The guy on the right was holding the guy reeling. The guy in the back was holding the whole bunch and occasionally would help reel. With all these guys on the fish I had no idea where the rod was. We ended up landing a nice 71 inch fish. I finally got a fish that was shipping to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Japan</st1:place></st1:country-region>.

Twenty minutes later its Fish On again. I think it was the same 5 guys who reeled in the first fish but they rotated positions. Kerry had the leader in sight 3 times but every time the leader came they insisted on changing the rotation. Remember I can't speak Japanese and they can't speak English. To make a long story short we lost the second fish.

OK lets drown some Poggies. We set up the kite and let the poggie go "Smash" fish slamming the bait. it sounded like Dice K had just hit a home run. We lost four Poggies to tuna slamming them. We finally got one on the hook here come the five anglers except this time we left the bent but in the rod holder. It only took four anglers for this fish. We ended up with a nice 64 to 68" fish we released this one in good shape.

All in all we ended up having a hilarious day and they all went home with smiles and stories of how they caught their own Sushi.<o:p></o:p>

July 13th 2009 <o:p></o:p>
05:30 : Departed Scituate harbor (charter was late)
07:00 : Arrive east of the Cape 30 mile run
07:15 : Fish On : Tuna takes the close rig (trick or treat)
07:16 : Fish off : Line does not snap out of the out rigger and when I try to remove it we lose the fish.
08:00 : Fish Smashing the rigs every other boat hooks up!
08:01 : Ready to blow a gasket weeds on every rig.
09:00 : Loading my gun getting ready to shoot myself everybody is catching fish but me.
09:30 : Weeds are so bad Kerry is loading his gun ready to shoot me.
10:30 : I move out to another spot in hopes of no weeds.
10:31 : Everyone is hooking up right where I just left.
10:32 : The Passengers are loading their guns getting ready to shoot me.
10:33 : I realize I just left fish for a dessert.
11:00 : Back at the first spot.
11:30 : A buddy gives me some left over pogies the charter is liking me a little better.
12:30 : Fish On" finally got one hooked on a pogie.
12:40 : Fish off" Pulled the hook.
12:41 : Ready to pull the trigger.
14:00 : A fish steals our pogie.
14:15 : Fish On" false alarm big striper.
14:16 : The Gun jams.
15:00 : Licking my wounds.
16:30 : Just sprinkle a little water around and get me a gin and tonic. ( make it 4) Some days just <o:p></o:p>

suck. <o:p></o:p>
July 14th 2009 <o:p></o:p>
05:00 : The charter shows up at the dock Three women and one man.
05:15 : The charter explains one of the women is pregnant but not fishing is it OK for her to go?
05:16 : I explain as long as there are no Baby parts hanging out it will be OK.
05:17 : I also explain I have no fear of blood and I can even check to see if she is dilated.
05:18 : On a serious note I would not take her if it was at all rough and she must remain seated to avoid falling. Today was real flat calm.
06:15 : One of the girls is hot for the mate and tells him what happens on the boat stays on the boat.
06:16 : Kerry is Hiding in the wheel house afraid of being attacked.
07:00 : We arrived 35 miles from <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Scituate</st1:City></st1:place> harbor to find many birds working.
08:30 : Fish On" The only male angler steps up. he won the number from the hat.
09:00 : Landed a nice 70" fish the angler learned real quick and my captain in training ( Dockrat Patrick 14 years old) handled the boat like a pro.
09:30 : Dead Zone even the cell phones weren't ringing.
11:30 : Can you hear me Now?
13:30 : Found large schools of Moving Bluefin with many large fish in the Schools 1000's of fish pushing and rolling but not biting.
14:30 : Had enough of the teasing (from both the fish and the Girls)
16:00 : Just sprinkle a little water around and get me a cup of coffee. <o:p></o:p>

4 day event Day 1 <o:p></o:p>
July 17th:

05:00 : <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Departed</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Scituate</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Harbor</st1:placeType></st1:place> with a crew interested in learning how to fish for BFT
06:00 : arrive 25 miles from port after answering every question three times.
07:30 : Fish ON! using pogies we hookup with a nice fish.
07:31 : Seems no one remembers the answers to their questions.
08:00 : the fish is along side and the harpoon is no where to be found we make the call to gaff the fish instead.
08:01 : I explain gaff the fish in the head not the back.
08:02 : The gaff man gets a direct hit in the middle of the back.
08:03 : The fish a 68" fatty almost pulls the gaff man overboard and runs with the gaff and breaks the line.
08:04 : Looking for my Gun.
14:00 : Fish On! Big fish smashes our bait.
14:30 : having a rodeo ride doing circles with a nice fish.
15:30 : land a nice 80" fat fish, number 3 market fish for me.
15:31 : putting my gun away.
16;30 : Just sprinkle a little water around and get me a cup of coffee. <o:p></o:p>

Four day event day 2 <o:p></o:p>
July 18th:

05:00 : Departing Scituate harbor with a great group of Guys who really want to catch a BFT.
05:05 : I realize the bait boy is not where I was suppose to meet him.
05:15 : I realize somebody stole the bait that was supposed to be left for me. ( they just opened the cage and helped themselves?)
05:30 : Still departing <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Scituate</st1:City></st1:place> harbor one guy is late.
05:45 : Finally depart <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Scituate</st1:City></st1:place> harbor and out of coffee.
05:46 : Looking for my gun.
06:30 : 10 minutes to go.
06:31 : <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Taylor</st1:City></st1:place> hooks up on his guide trip teaching the boys from "Nuts and Bolts" his tricks.
06:32 : Loading the gun
08:00 : Blaahhhhhh #&%^* sunny days and calm seas
09:00 : Taylor Hooks up again on Pogie
11:30 : <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Taylor</st1:City></st1:place> Hooks up again!!! I am ready to kill the guy who took the bait meant for me, but I would not have taken bait I did not pay for..
15:00 : UNCLE!!!
16:30 : Just sprinkle a Little water around and get me a Gin and Tonic.<o:p></o:p>

July 19th 2009 <o:p></o:p>
03:30 Wake up to 70* no wind ARRGH!!
05:00 Depart Scituate harbor
05:45 Arrive 20 miles off shore
06:30 Arrive 30 miles off shore
07:30 Arrive 40 miles off shore
09:30 arrive 30 miles off shore
10:30 Arrive 40 miles off shore
11:30 Arrive Race point Bumper boats
12:00 Rescue a group of neighborhood kids in a sinking center console and arrange a tow home to scituate from one of my boats. Thanks to Dave from "Bronco 3" and Captain Ed from <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Mass</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Bay</st1:placeType></st1:place> Guides.
12:30 Loose temper at Bumper boats - no more 20 ounce weights.
13:30 Arrive 20 miles off shore
14:30 Still 20 miles off shore Watching whales.
15:30 Uncle#%& I give away my first Guarantee fish charter Although we did catch a couple of Bluefish and Bass. My guarantee is if you do not catch fish you can go again for half price.
16:30 Just sprinkle a little water around and get me a cup of Coffee ( To hungover from yesterday) <o:p></o:p>

July 20, 2009 (Warp Tour) <o:p></o:p>
05:30 My charter arrives in a 50 foot rock and roll bus.
05:45 I meet One of the biggest producers of Rock Concerts in America He takes his personal crew fishing every week where ever they are.They just wanna have fun.
06:00 These people are awesome!!
07:00 We arrive 20 miles off shore and put out the pogies.
07:30 I have a Huge fish chase our pogie Looks like 100 inch plus.
07:31 Giant is gone %&*# wish I had a bluefish.
07:45 Big Striped Bass all around the boat we feed them a couple of pogies pretty cool ( my charter has more fun chumming the striper's than tuna fishing).
09:30 Tuna bite is slow we go cod fishing and shark fishing out east.
10:30 The girl Sarah on the boat finds out I name fishing spots after people on the boat and wants me to name a hole after her.
11:30 Sarah catches a nice 30# Cod so we name that spot Sarah's hole.
12:30 All we are catching for sharks is the endangered Spiny Dogfish I am going to start bringing Zebco Scooby Doo Rods and make Dogfish fun.
13:30 Kevin is going to Start a new music festival called the Dogfish festival staring Three Dog night and many other fishy bands.
14:30 We return to trolling for Tuna for the Tide.
14:45 Kevin is sleeping on the back deck so we decide to pull the Bucket trick.
14:46 We hook a five gallon bucket to a shimano 50 and send it out.
14:47 Fish On" ( or bucket fish on!)
15:00 Kevin is still reeling in the trash bucket as I keep the boat in gear and occasionally throttle up for effect.
15:10 Kevin lands a nice Boat US bucket and can't believe his eyes. This was one of the funniest things these people had ever done they got the whole thing on film and will be sending it to <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Taylor</st1:place></st1:City> for editing.
17:00 Just sprinkle a little water around and get me a cup of coffee <v:shape id=_x0000_i1044 style="WIDTH: 12pt; HEIGHT: 12pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/images/smilies/biggrin.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Greg\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>

July 21st 2009 <o:p></o:p>
05:00 My charter arrives Its The DQ brothers
05:05 One of the brothers gets sea sick in rough weather so he decides to stay at the dock.
06:30 Trolling for Tuna along the backside of the <st1:place w:st="on">Cape</st1:place>.
06:45 Fish On" we hook a nice tuna striping line like crazy on a 80 pound <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on">Penn.</st1:State></st1:place>
06:46 while reeling in the rest of the rods Bluefish and Bass Hit every rig.
06:47 I realize I am in the pot line and make a turn to avoid the pots.
06:48 All the lines are tangled and we get every fish in but the tuna.
09:30 Tuna bite is slow we go Bass Fishing
10:30 we have some nice 30 to 40 pound Bass on the boat and one off the Brothers pulls out a Banana for lunch.
10:31 The other brothers scream at him for having a banana and ask how do we break the curse.
10:32 I take the Banana from him and proceed to eat it.
10:32 Banana Gone
10:33 we go back to tuna fishing
11:15 we arrive at SW corner and put out the first rig.
11:16 Fish On" we hook a nice fish in 4 foot sea
12:05 We Land and keep a nice 70" fish
12:10 We are moving up on the troll and Kerry starts putting out the first rig
12:10 Fish On" Kerry has the rig ripped out of his hands 3 feet from the transom.
13:00 We Tag and release a nice fish same size as the first around 70"
13:01 we are now in 6 foot seas and I decide to call it a day ( proof that bananas can catch fish if you dispose of them properly)
14:30 Just sprinkle a little water around and get me a cup of coffee. <o:p></o:p>

July 26th 2009 <o:p></o:p>
05;00 Depart Scituate harbor with a group of regulars that go about 5 times a year. I have the A team with Taylor (SFC "Sears720") as mate.
06:00 Arrive at the Bank
06:10 First Bait in on the Kite
06:11 Tuna are fighting over the bait but no one can get it.
06:12 Fish On! one gets it.
07:00 land a nice 68" fish
07:10 Number two warrior goes in.
07:11 The battle Begins ( everyone is not rooting for the little guy)
07:12 Fish On! Holly Crap the fish is already under the boat.
07:30 this fish is a bear and I am in the pots.
07:50 We get rapped in a pot after a half hour of avoiding them.
07:51 Fish Gone!
08:15 Warrior number three your turn.
08:16 Warrior number three is taken by the enemy Stolen by a BFT
08:30 A nice feisty soldier heads out on Re con
08:35 <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Mission</st1:place></st1:City> accomplished Fish On!
09:05 Tag and release a nice 65" fish
09:06 I realize the ocean is getting rough wind is picking up.
09:07 Send out another decoy ( I through in a dead bait)
09:08 Fish On!
09:45 We tag and release another nice one soon to be a fatty.
09:46 The charter has had enough we call it a day.
11:00 Just sprinkle a little water around and get me a cup of coffee. <o:p></o:p>

July 31st 2009 <o:p></o:p>
05:00 <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Left</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Scituate</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Harbor</st1:placeType></st1:place> as a guide aboard the "Boomerang"
05:45 Arrive on the backside of P town (Don't take that literally)
06:00 The Crew of the Boomerang has improved 100% since the first time I guided for them. Rigs are ready and in record time.
06:30 First swirl on the kite everyone is watching the kite bait.
06:31 I hear a noise behind me. I look to see a nice 80 to 90 inch fish chasing the balloon bait.
06:32 We are all cheering for the big guy to eat the little guy. ( happens at P town all the time )
06:33 Little Guy gets swallowed Fish On" Fatty boombalaty
08:15 one hour forty five minutes the fish is circling nice and calm 15 feet under the boat we can see a nice market fish coming up.
08:25 The Leader is up ten feet to the fish. One more circle and I am going to stick it.
08:26 Leader Chafes off and breaks, so long Money fish.
08:27 Where the %^*$ is my Gun
08:45 Bait is in, Kite is flying
09:00 Balloon Bait is all nervous
09:01 More cheering for the big guy.
09:02 Fish On"
09:30 We land a nice 68" fish.
09:45 Baits in again
10:15 Big guy on Little guy ( also happens quite often in P Town)
10:12 Big Guy is all done and leaves the little guy all tore up. ( These jokes are getting sickening)
10:15 Out of pogies, but we got the meat ( stop with the P Town jokes) we are going home a storm is brewing.
12:00 We decide to stop and catch a couple of striper's but no luck on keepers.
13:30 Just Sprinkle a little water around and get me a cup of coffee.<v:shape id=_x0000_i1047 style="WIDTH: 12pt; HEIGHT: 12pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"> <v:imagedata o:href="http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/images/smilies/smile.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Greg\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>

Aug 3rd 2009 <o:p></o:p>
05:00 <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Departed</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Scituate</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Harbor</st1:placeType></st1:place> with Kerry as first mate and a great group of guys who have never been tuna fishing.
06:30 Arrive 32 miles from port
06:45 Balloon bait goes in the water
06:50 Kite bait goes in
06:51 Balloon bait is getting nervous we are all looking at it
06:55 Kite bait is getting chased big boil
06:56 Fish On" Anglers number 1,2,3, are taking turns on the 130#
07:45 We land a nice 73-1/2" fish. Charlie is getting a ride to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Japan</st1:place></st1:country-region>.
08:00 Baits in the water
08:05 Big guy chasing little guy on the Kite
08:06 Fish On" Anglers 3,4 taking 1 minute intervals ( I got to start telling people to work out before they come fishing)
08:30 We Tag and release a nice 65" fish
08:45 Balloon bait is going in
08:45 Balloon Bait is ripped from my hand Fish On" Anglers 1,2,3,4,5 are all tired and Kerry is also taking turns.
09:15 We tag and release another 65" fish
09:20 The Anglers are all done they want to go home and make their 33% of the Market fish.
11:00 Hoist this fish out of my boat, Sprinkle a little water around and get me a cup of coffee. <o:p></o:p>

Aug 4th 2009 <o:p></o:p>
Aug 4th 2009

05:00 Departing Scituate with a group of guys from Downtown Boston the biggest fish any of them had caught was a 100# Grey reef shark. Kerry is first mate.
05:30 Still departing <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Scituate</st1:City></st1:place> because one of the party is late. ( I need another cup of coffee already )
05:45 finally heading for the Hot Spot
07:15 Arrive at Peeked Hill
07:16 Realizing there is no life it is not the same place as yesterday.
07:45 No marks or signs of tuna
07:46 In fog no bites for anyone this Hot Spot is cold.
08:15 Leave for better Hot Spots
08:40 First Hot Spot Su%^$
09:30 Second Hot Spot is Dead
10:30 Third Hot spot is warm but no bites
11:00 Decide to Cod fish for an hour or two
11:01 Angler number one is tangled with the late guy ( By the way when you are late on my boat your name is "Late Guy" all day)
11:03 Angler number one is tangled with angler number three
11:07 Angler number one is tangled on the prop.
11:09 Angler number one is tangled with Angler number 5 and 6
11:12 Angler number one reaches the bottom
11:20 Angler number one asks if he should reel in when he runs out of line?
11:45 I am all done with cod tangling ( even with all the Tangles they manage to get about 20 keepers in about an hour).
12:30 Back tuna fishing in new territory
12:31 I explain I will give everyone a job if we hook up.
12:32 I tell Angler number one his job is to stay in the fly bridge and take pictures.
12:45 A 400 pound fish is chasing the bait ten feet from the boat. Swings and misses we saw the whole fish leap out after the bait "wow"
12:48 A big swirl on the balloon bait
12:49 Fish On"
13:15 we land a nice 70" fish
13:18 I let Angler number one down from the fly bridge
15:30 Just sprinkle a little water around and get me a cup of Coffee. <o:p></o:p>

A bite and breakfast. <o:p></o:p>
8/30 - The MBG report has been slacking with updates lately. <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Taylor</st1:place></st1:City> has been basking in the glory of Mako fame, big Greg is so delirious from fishing everyday that you can't even speak to him around the house. And myself, well, I have been busy "saving the world" at my real job and havn't had much time to fish the past few weeks do to the glorious weather...

I did have the chance to mate for my father this past sunday:

3:30 am - Cleaned the boat from all of the "shark chaos" that went on Thurs and Fri

4:30am - Loaded up the jelly beans (pogaloids) for the trip/ tried to have a civil conversation with my father, which quickly ended after I realized he hadn't drank his 13th cup of coffee yet.

4:45am - Charter not there yet...
5:00am - Charter still not there
5:30am - Charter still not there...
6:15am - 7 voicemails, 2 emails, and one pissed off mother back home later, we left with Ken, our Marine owner, to get him his first Chuckie.

7:30am - Arrive at destination
8:00am - Hooked up
8:30am - Fish on the deck
8:30am-9:00am - Watched 100s of fish push, jump, smash, bounce, fly, and NOT eat everywhere.

9:15am - Called it
10am ish - Breakfast at the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Mill</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Wharf</st1:placeType></st1:place>.

Not the most action packed day, but short and sweet.

-Bry <o:p></o:p>

Sept 3 2009 <o:p></o:p>
I am catching up on some older trips with some literary value I will be posting these not necessarily in order.

Sept 3 2009

04:30 The Charter shows up and reminds me of my guarantee on their last trip and puts the pressure on right away. ( I gave them a half day price for a full day fishing because they did not catch a fish, "one of my past posts when I was looking for my gun".)
04:45 <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Depart</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Scituate</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Harbor</st1:placeType></st1:place>: already got one guy making demands before my second cup of coffee. I am going to call him "Ace"
06:00 Arrive on the bank lots of whales and birds at the BE.
06:02 The charter picks the first guy on the rod, they pick one of the guys who has never been fishing ( I will call him New Shoes because he was wearing brand new $300 sneakers and afraid to get his feet dirty)
06:10 Bob on the Wakeup Call calls me to say he is hooked up 4 miles from me.
06:11 I make the call to move to that location.
06:30 "Ace" thinks we should do something different because we have not caught a tuna in 5 minutes. ( I hope I forgot the bullets)
07:30 Boil on the Balloon bait ( I love this Sh#!t)
07:32 Boil on the Balloon and he gets the bait.
07:33 Ace and New shoes are jumping up and down yelling we got a tuna ( I yell you ain't got nothing until its in the boat Start Reeling!!)
07:34 I tell the other guys to get in the Kite Bait.
07:35 I hear the drag on the kite bait screaming. I look back at the guy reeling it in and yell at him for hitting the drag.
07:35.5 He yells back at me saying he didn't hit anything.
07:36 I yell doubled up set the drags to strike.
07:37 Two nice fish tight!
08:02 "New Shoes" has fish number one to the boat.
08:03 I harpoon the fish and it takes off like a raped ape pealing 100 feet of rod and harpoon line.
08:04 Fish one has tangled with fish two I have the anglers do a dance with the rods to untangle ( This must be why New Shoes has new Shoes)
08:06 The dance is over they got untangled
08:12 Land fish One, a nice 70" fish 200 pounds
08:15 Fish two is at the boat we leader and remove the hook ( Nice release with a healthy 69" fish)
08:20 Kerry is washing blood all over New Shoes
08:21 New Shoes learned lesson number one
08:25 I tell the charter we have had a successfully tuna trip before 09:00 so lets go Shark and Bottom fishing to avoid damaging any more small tuna. They all agree even Ace seems Satisfied.
09:10 We are catching huge Cod averaging 20 pounds.
09:11 "Ace" asks why we have not caught a shark yet? I tell him relax we just got started the slick is only ten feet long.
09:15 A blue shark takes the bait.
09:16 Ace is on the rod and reeling like a one armed thirteen year old girl.
09:40 we release a nice ten footer.
09:45 back Cod fishing catching nice keeper fish and New Shoes is running around trying not to get his feet wet.
09:46 New Shoes lands a nice 30 pounder and it craps all over his feet.<v:shape id=_x0000_i1048 style="WIDTH: 12pt; HEIGHT: 12pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"> <v:imagedata o:href="http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/images/smilies/biggrin.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Greg\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>( New Shoes learns lesson number 2)
09:47 Ace wants the guys to stop Cod fishing so we can fish more shark rods?? ( alright where is the gun?)
09:48 A Blue shark is sniffing around the chum
09:49 Shark on and three guys hooked up on big Cod.
10:15 We land a nice 8 footer who fights all the way to the boat plus four nice 20 pound Cod.
10:20 back on the chum ball and it is covered with Blue dogs.
10:21 Hooked another blue dog but he tail rapped and I am wrestling him at the boat.
10:45 Ace says he needs a challenge so I tell him I have a good one for the next shark.
10:46 we hook another Big Blue Shark I tell ace grab the rod ( a bent butt fifty) I don,t let him use a belt.
11:30 Ace is now satisfied, that just kicked the crap out of him.
12:00 We leave the Cod and Shark and go back for one quick shot at the tuna while Kerry fillets the Cod.
13:00 We have no luck on the tuna and no signs in the area we head back to the barn. "Thank God" Ace was harder to satisfy than my wife.
15:00 Just Sprinkle a little water around and get me a cup of Coffee. <o:p></o:p>

Shark Day 2009 ( Bad Luck v/s Good Luck ) <o:p></o:p>
One of the Best and Worse days of the summer.

05:00 ; Depart Scituate harbor with “Harry the Redneck” and his son and friends
05:01 : Harry makes his presence known by Hollering like a guy in a strip joint. Harry is right out of the Blue collar comedy show (Larry the Cable guy)
06:30: We arrive on the backside of the cape.
06:35: We have the “Eveready Pogie” on the kite
06:40: Balloon bait is going out and gets smashed by a nice fatty ( Steals the bait)
06:45: Balloon bait number two going out SMASH “Fish On”
07:30: Harry’s Son has the fish close to the boat I play the Fortuna Song,
07:31: The Red Neck is up in the fly bridge yelling get the Bat ( He sounds like a little cowgirl)
07:32: I explain we don’t use a Bat we use a Gaff
07:33 Harry is yelling no get the Bat it’s trying to bite me.
07:34 We realize the fish is foul hooked in the side (no wonder it fought like a giant) I harpoon the fish and look up at Harry ( He has a bat flying around trying to land on him) The Bat was living in the loud speaker of the boat and came out when I played the music.
07:35: Harry swats the bat into the water.
07:36 We put the fish in the boat and the Bat is trying to swim back in the boat too.
07:38 I feel sorry for the Bat and save it in the dip net. We put him up with Harry to dry out but I don’t think Harry is interested in drying out he cracks open a beer.
08:00 My son Taylor and Captain Tom King are running the “Grace” for me on a charter with the Mayo Family ( two 12 year old kids and the Mom and Dad) They tell us they have hooked a large Mako and are fighting it on a fifty Shimano.
08:30 Tom calls to tell us he is still fighting the fish and he thinks its pretty big.
08:50 Tom calls to tell us the fish is a big one and it ate their tuna when they where reeling it in.
09:30 Tom calls to tell us they had the fish to the boat and harpooned it it ran and took all the harpoon line and ball but they are still fighting it on the rod.
09:45 Tom calls to tell us the line broke but they are chasing the ball.
09:50 Tom calls to tell us the ball went down and they lost the fish.
10:00 Tom calls to tell us they got the ball and are fighting the fish by hand
10:30 Tom calls to tell us the fish ran and took the ball down again.
10:31 Bob Paine on the “Wake-up Call” tells them to put the scuba tank in its mouth.
11:00 Tom calls to tell us they have the fish tail roped but they can not get it in the boat.
11:01 We start to head to them to help get the fish in the boat
11:02 The Fortuna breaks a belt and we are dead in the water.
12:30 Tom and Taylor arrive at the Fortuna to tow us in.
13:30 Grace has engine problems but we fix it
13:40 Towing line breaks.
14:30 Towing line breaks and we need to fix the Grace again
15:30 Still heading home
16:30 Still heading home
17:30 Still heading home
17:50 we arrive at the docks to find at
least 500 people waiting to see the shark.
19:00 They weigh the shark to find out it is the Largest Male Mako Shark ever recorded in the world.
22:00 Get me a cup of coffee and sprinkle "allot" of water around ( what a string of good and bad luck?)
23:00 We Laugh about the Bat. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p><o:p> </o:p>

Upvote 0

Sears720

Squid Baaahhss
Oct 8, 2009
Scituate, MA, US
www.massbayguides.com
Name
Taylor
Boat
35' Donelle - "FOR2NA", 32' Glenn Holland Downeast- "Fortuna"
Here are some pictures of our past year for Mass Bay Guides. Can't wait for the 2010 Season. HERE WE GO!!!

Attachments

• 5249_785036029350_923056_45518541_538249_n.jpg
    5249_785036029350_923056_45518541_538249_n.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 512
  • PIC_0819.JPG
    PIC_0819.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 145
  • PIC_0773 - Copy.JPG
    PIC_0773 - Copy.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 110
  • PIC_0921.JPG
    PIC_0921.JPG