Maryland state record wahoo 131 pounds

fishy killa

Mar 10, 2010
malibu, ca
Name
john schaar
Boat
kayak
So last Monday we left ocean city aboard the odinspear bright and early. Made our way out to poor mans canyon and got the gear in the water. Started the day off with a 15 pound dolphin followed by a nice white marlin followed by a double hook up on whites during which I managed to farm one of them. After that things slowed down and I dozed off. Woke up about an hour later and went inside to use the head came back out and the right outrigger went off. Picked up the rod and the reel was screaming. Damn fish nearly spooled me in under a minute. A couple short runs later and 20 minutes we had the fish in the boat. Went 131 back in the marina couldn't have asked for a better trip!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Holy Wahoo Batman....in Maryland? WOW. Congrats! :appl:

that thing looks like a striped Marlin on the deck!

Upvote 0

Chris Penning

Apr 13, 2011
Laurel, MD
Name
Chris
Boat
Total Ho
Nice! Great to see more east coast, especially MD, reports around here, even it if does come from a west coaster! I'll return the favor in Sep when I get off my 8 day on the Intrepid!

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    There are a fair number of Wahoo even further north. My largest Wahoo that went 70 was taken at a spot called the Dump just outside of Martha's Vineyard. I've never ever seen a little one in the northeast also. There was a 120 caught in NY a few years ago also. And please keep in mind no one is targeting these fish. They are a bi-catch while Tuna/Marlin fishing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Not many places you can catch blue/white marlin, Wahoo, YFT, BET, BFT and Mahi all in the same day.... except along the entire east coast of the U.S. from Mass to the Carolinas.

Guys here in CA should consider a canyon trip next time they are thinking long range :)

Upvote 0

kirkmd202

Mar 26, 2011
    Redondo Beach
    Name
    kirk
    Boat
    Naked Striper
    Congrats. Were you at 5 knots(tuna speed) or a faster 7-8 knot troll speed (wahoo speed)? I have targeted wahoo on the Catalina slide and 181 before. I plan to fish that exact area next week with a friend weather permitting.

That is an unbelievable. If I get one yft or dodo I will be thrilled.

Thanks for any intel.

Upvote 0