Martinez turkeys

Tedtaylor

Aug 25, 2012
Taylor
Name
Ted
Boat
Ghost
Went up to my uncles place in Martinez California over the weekend. We saw tons of turkeys but made a few mistakes. Ended up with four turkeys for three guys three Jake's and one gobbler. First mistake was not setting up my blind prior to our trip. At 4 o'clock in the morning when something goes wrong it's unfixable. So trying to bow hunt for turkeys without a blind, I'm here to tell you, is almost impossible. Every time you twitch they see you . All the turkeys were henned up. In three days we didn't have any turkeys coming to the decoys. They would come up look and walk on by. I managed to spot and stock one Jake. I spotted him in the lower Meadow snuck up to the side and when they saw me they dropped off the back I ran up to the edge and one of them stuck its head up and Boom! He starts flapping and before I could catch up to him he started somersaulting down this cliff head over tailfeathers for about 100 yards straight down. Lots of turkeys up there just need a couple weeks when the hands get on the nest should be better. I'll post some pics in a little bit

el Toro

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
Congrats!
Although I will argue that killing them without a blind and a bow is very doable, you just need the right set up. They either need to be attacking the decoys and distracted, or you need to set up out of the open fields and back into the trees and brush. Draw when they go behind something. I've done it a couple times myself and my buddies up north do it regularly. beats the hell out of hauling that big awkward blind around!

Reactions: Tedtaylor

Bigeasy

yeah, yeah!
Jun 18, 2008
Vallejo, CA
Name
Eric W.
Boat
Tunacious 238 Coastal Twin 150-E
I go to my back yard and they are all back there just a chattering and stuff! They are like pigeons up here! Tooo many! and the turkey crap is really big crap!

Reactions: Tedtaylor

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
I go to my back yard and they are all back there just a chattering and stuff! They are like pigeons up here! Tooo many! and the turkey crap is really big crap!

Happy to help you with that problem!!

Nice hunt, great job on those birds.