Marlin

bricktop27

Apr 23, 2017
Chino Hills
Name
Mike
Boat
Bayrunner 18 "Tuna Can"
It's cool you got it. What a thrill. If you release it the next time you'll probably enjoy it even more. A dead marlin on deck is kind of a downer.

We end up keeping them sometimes for food or because they didnt survive but then the day shifts to going in to preserve the meat, and processing it. Not as much fun as a successful release and going after another one.

As far as all the yelling and screaming here, that's so Hillary. Not everyone agrees, that's cool. Catch and release is not a bad thing for people to advocate. It benefits everyone. So chill out.
"Thats so Hillary"....My new favorite saying!

Reactions: Larmo
Jul 31, 2008
Jamul
Name
Tom
Boat
'78 Ski Tique family wagon, Sporties, Father Inlaw.
Great catch, nice work and cool story. Enjoy that meat. As long as you don't waste it you're good in my book.

Omarkayak

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Bills
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
And this one time, in merlin camp, the counselors gathered us all around and proclaimed, "You fuckers gotta respect the merlin! You'll release 'em if'n you know what's good fer you 'n' all! There's only so many merlin in one's life, so keep a mind to the important things!" The counselors went on, but I quit listening, so I don't know what else they said.

Then another time, I was on a long range boat, the merlin went WFO, and I actually caught a merlin, on a flylined mackerel on straight 60 pound, and it didn't jump at all or anything, and I had basically a rockcod rod, and it kicked my ass, and I think stomped on me somewhere during the fight. I stopped fishing afterward and almost threw up from the experience. I drank a beer in nothing flat too, so it would have been super foamy if I had blown chips. When we got back I had it smoked by whomever the premier fish processor was at the time and it turned out delicious. As one person I shared it with said, "This shit's better than salmon!"

By the way, guy, excellent local catch!

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Reactions: BiggestT

So Cal Adventure

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 18, 2016
OC
Name
RB
Boat
42 ft Bertram
There are "plenty of them that die" in the fight? Doesn't that sort of defeat all the arguments of the catch and release only marlin elite types?

I'm not judging either way, only getting educated. So be kind.

Reactions: Blackfish

dorado50

Well-Known "Member"
May 5, 2006
San Diego
Name
DAVID
Boat
BERTRAM / EDGEWATER
Its a trait of the blue marlin to fight to the death. Skilled helmsman and angler are more likely to capture and release in short order, thus facilitating life. But sometimes doing everything right just wont save them no matter what.

Reactions: mandoman68
May 27, 2015
Name
mike
Boat
NA
Can one of the guys equating releasing billfish to being a pussy or a woman or whatever else draw a connection between the two? Doesn't make you sound particularly smart or insightful. But I don't know.

And the legal argument.... Do you really want more government oversight? Once a species is in serious jeopardy that's what will happen. Why not stay ahead of it within the community? Police ourselves kind of situation?

In before some stupid clown calls me gay or Hilary Clinton

Paddyman1

A mossback is better than a hairy back
Nov 7, 2010
La Costa Izquierda
Name
Steve
Boat
N/A
Can one of the guys equating releasing billfish to being a pussy or a woman or whatever else draw a connection between the two? Doesn't make you sound particularly smart or insightful. But I don't know.

And the legal argument.... Do you really want more government oversight? Once a species is in serious jeopardy that's what will happen. Why not stay ahead of it within the community? Police ourselves kind of situation?

In before some stupid clown calls me gay or Hilary Clinton
First posts can be sooooo Hillary! :gayfight: