LongVo

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 24, 2010
San Diego CA USA
Name
Long Vo
Boat
Invader
The beginning of an epic fishing trip. First real trip of the season haven't really gone out trophy hunting yet until this morning. Couldn't sleep so we left early. Got bait at the docks more macs than sardines. Big bait big fish they say. Headed west from point loma stopped on a kelp for nothing. Found a school of dolphins working a ball of bait crowding them together. Trolled through it with black and purple cedar plug and a 12" mackerel. Trolled about half a mile when the mackerel got hammered bites marks on the bait and everything. Cedar plug got hit but it didn't stick. Continued to harass dolphins rolling in front of their pod and dropping our lures for nothing. 8am hit and we decided to stop harassing the dolphins and just fish.Slowed the boat down to 2 miles looked around. Birds diving dolphins splashing everywhere. Lots of gang activity in the area. Grabbed my favorite old school single speed avet on my phoenix rod. Dropped a sardine on a 4/0 Owners mutu circle hook 40lb Pline floral carbon. to a rusty swivel to 40lb Pline (spooled last night) mono backed with 60lb spectra. Dropped the bait behind the boat to let it swim and this bait swam like Micheal Phelps. I put the reel in gear and i went slipping and sliding from the bow to the stern in less than a second being in a small boat and all. I stomped on my neoprene boots and tried to stop the fish from pulling me over. This marlin ran like a semi with no breaks down dictionary hill. I buckled the reel down to try to slow the fish down. It spooled me in less than 6 seconds. I screamed and Jimmy was on the spot turn the boat around and we were in hot pursuit. The reel was smoking when he was pulling drag I grabbed a water bottle to put out the flame. As we get close it breaks water to reveal itself, a gargantuan beast. The unicorn of the sea No wonder it bit soo close to the boat, Why would she be afraid of the boat if she was bigger than the boat. 30 mins in and we pull up side by side thinking shes ready for the gaff. She's stops Jimmy's puts it in neutral and it decides to go left right left right than straight to the propeller. I dunk half my body into the clear blue ocean to prevent the fish from getting caught with the motor. This happens at least 7 more times through out the fight. Im holding on super tight because shes not giving up yet. My hands start to give so I passed it to Jimmy. Thanks to his quick reaction i would have been spooled early on. We pass it back and forth for the next hour and a half, Asking why is she not tired yet ? It feels like shes getting stronger. I fight the urge to tighten the drag but Jimmy constantly reminds me don't do it we have all the time in the world. He's right i remain calm and patient to continue to fight this beast. Finally we see her roll we pull her close and she darts. We repeat this 4 more times and finally I passed the rod to Jimmy grab the gaff and stuck her in the gill plate. Jimmy drops the rod grab the mini gaff and stuck her in the tail. We count 1....2.....3..... pull the boat goes down and the fish didn't go no where. Exhausted we guide the fish towards the motor. Her beak trashing and scratching the shit out of my cowling, we pulled like it was a sword stuck in a stone and when she slid onto the back of the boat. Congratulations we work so hard now we finally got her ass on the deck flopping around remoras jumping ship. Just landed a trophy the victory dance its on. We jumped screamed hug took pictures live stream like we was on vacation.

#Pline #Avet #PhoenixRods #OwnerHooks

IMG_5039.JPG IMG_5053.JPG IMG_5080.JPG

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
I will say it for you!!! Epic catch bro!!! As long as your going to eat it !!! It's legal!! Btw Blue Fin Tuna that myself included brag about all over here are in far more trouble than striped marlin!!! We just live in the northern edge of their migration. Who is to say if they let it go it would not jet South a 1000 miles to get caught on long lines and stacked like cord wood to be rendered into cat food!!!! So again i emagine you don't kill very many marlin!!! So if for a once in a lifetime catch you choose to kill a beautiful game fish it's your right!! Btw if anyone cares?? I would have hammered the drag and broke off!! Fighting and taking pictures kills a lot of marlin!! They have huge hearts that can't take the stress!! My humble 2 pennies!

swami 805

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Little Jimmy bring down or what? Nice one, Man wants to kill one to eat absolutely nothing wrong with that. Letting them go is fine too. Nice fish in a small boat and light tackle. Heck of a job

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
:appl:

Reactions: Hardcor

2small

N
Jun 8, 2009
san diego
Name
m
Boat
228 Grady Seafarer
Awesome story and I love the excitement. Congrats.

Trying to figure out what's on the ground below it.

The beginning of an epic fishing trip. First real trip of the season haven't really gone out trophy hunting yet until this morning. Couldn't sleep so we left early. Got bait at the docks more macs than sardines. Big bait big fish they say. Headed west from point loma stopped on a kelp for nothing. Found a school of dolphins working a ball of bait crowding them together. Trolled through it with black and purple cedar plug and a 12" mackerel. Trolled about half a mile when the mackerel got hammered bites marks on the bait and everything. Cedar plug got hit but it didn't stick. Continued to harass dolphins rolling in front of their pod and dropping our lures for nothing. 8am hit and we decided to stop harassing the dolphins and just fish.Slowed the boat down to 2 miles looked around. Birds diving dolphins splashing everywhere. Lots of gang activity in the area. Grabbed my favorite old school single speed avet on my phoenix rod. Dropped a sardine on a 4/0 Owners mutu circle hook 40lb Pline floral carbon. to a rusty swivel to 40lb Pline (spooled last night) mono backed with 60lb spectra. Dropped the bait behind the boat to let it swim and this bait swam like Micheal Phelps. I put the reel in gear and i went slipping and sliding from the bow to the stern in less than a second being in a small boat and all. I stomped on my neoprene boots and tried to stop the fish from pulling me over. This marlin ran like a semi with no breaks down dictionary hill. I buckled the reel down to try to slow the fish down. It spooled me in less than 6 seconds. I screamed and Jimmy was on the spot turn the boat around and we were in hot pursuit. The reel was smoking when he was pulling drag I grabbed a water bottle to put out the flame. As we get close it breaks water to reveal itself, a gargantuan beast. The unicorn of the sea No wonder it bit soo close to the boat, Why would she be afraid of the boat if she was bigger than the boat. 30 mins in and we pull up side by side thinking shes ready for the gaff. She's stops Jimmy's puts it in neutral and it decides to go left right left right than straight to the propeller. I dunk half my body into the clear blue ocean to prevent the fish from getting caught with the motor. This happens at least 7 more times through out the fight. Im holding on super tight because shes not giving up yet. My hands start to give so I passed it to Jimmy. Thanks to his quick reaction i would have been spooled early on. We pass it back and forth for the next hour and a half, Asking why is she not tired yet ? It feels like shes getting stronger. I fight the urge to tighten the drag but Jimmy constantly reminds me don't do it we have all the time in the world. He's right i remain calm and patient to continue to fight this beast. Finally we see her roll we pull her close and she darts. We repeat this 4 more times and finally I passed the rod to Jimmy grab the gaff and stuck her in the gill plate. Jimmy drops the rod grab the mini gaff and stuck her in the tail. We count 1....2.....3..... pull the boat goes down and the fish didn't go no where. Exhausted we guide the fish towards the motor. Her beak trashing and scratching the shit out of my cowling, we pulled like it was a sword stuck in a stone and when she slid onto the back of the boat. Congratulations we work so hard now we finally got her ass on the deck flopping around remoras jumping ship. Just landed a trophy the victory dance its on. We jumped screamed hug took pictures live stream like we was on vacation.

View attachment 849182 View attachment 849183 View attachment 849184

View attachment 849182 View attachment 849183 View attachment 849184

DreamFish

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 9, 2017
Laguna Hills, CA
Name
Craig Cosbey
Boat
Friends or Float Tube
We all have thoughts. This IS still America. Freedom of Speech.
To tell one to "Shut UP" is the infantile inability to process that someone might disagree with your opinion. That is like ANTIFA. Fascist. Kinda what youth has learned in school and in the media for the last 30 years. Don't be so easily offended. You'll be less angry all the time.

998R

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 22, 2008
san diego
Name
M
Boat
Blue Monkey, BM2
Nice job on 40lb!

Heard bout this from a buddy last night.

Reactions: Hardcor