SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
Zooker zipper on port rigger,Koga Jr. on stb rigger,1220 swimmers on the flats.No center to leave room for the drop back.Tom
Gosh that sounds like a well oiled machine I wouldn't mind dancing in! I need a Marlin. And now I'm itchy...... (people say there just as addictive to fish for as BF) is that true??

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
Anyone going Marlin fishing this weekend. I was just going to take the wife out for some Bonito fun then head off to the commercial bank for that late YF bite. But now I'm going to convince her (HOPEFULLY) that trolling around is what we're doing!

Upvote 0

Baja Belk

Long sappy fish stories.
Sep 8, 2009
San Diego/CA/USA
Name
Mike
Boat
18.5 Striper CC - Puro Grande
I think if you really put forth a good effort it would take you way less than 10 tries. My first really focused attempt to get one (Oct '16) I had one knock down my jig 4 times after only 5 min of trolling. He was so lit up and pissed, I was bummed it never stuck. Also made the mistake of not jumping on my pitchback mac, which I had, but kind of just sat there stunned.

We hooked one (same jig) trolling back up the canyon last Sept after limiting on yellowfin. Spit the hook after about 10 min.

I've also seen quite a few tailers/sleepers over the years without having a pitch bait available.

I lucked out on this apparently legendary jig (Sadu) at a garage sale. In addition to the two marlin above it's also taken a pretty big local dodo, and a 5 lb bonito 😆. Soon as my foot is better and I get back out there, this thing will be in the water at all times.

Now is the time of year. Go get one!

IMG_2655.jpeg

Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
The issue is a high percentage of jig fish are lost compared to bait fish.There is no BLIND strikes!The best lure on the boat is swimming in the tank!Most bait fish come to leader.Very hard for someone to sit and watch the jigs for hours.We keep a hooked bait swimming in a bait bag on the transom and one swimming in the bait tank against the bulk head and one in a bow tank.The reason the top teams catch so many of the tourney fish is because the work at it.Guys in the glasses all day.The years when there are a lot of jigfish are great because anyone can catch them.The years when there is a lot of tailers and feeders separate the weekend guys from the pros.We have had 5 fish days in the channel over the years.Have been lucky enough to fish with some of the best west coast marlin guys over the years,they have all passed on.A new group of guys have taken over those ranks.Good luck to all!Tom

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    I think if you really put forth a good effort it would take you way less than 10 tries. My first really focused attempt to get one (Oct '16) I had one knock down my jig 4 times after only 5 min of trolling. He was so lit up and pissed, I was bummed it never stuck. Also made the mistake of not jumping on my pitchback mac, which I had, but kind of just sat there stunned.

We hooked one (same jig) trolling back up the canyon last Sept after limiting on yellowfin. Spit the hook after about 10 min.

I've also seen quite a few tailers/sleepers over the years without having a pitch bait available.

I lucked out on this apparently legendary jig (Sadu) at a garage sale. In addition to the two marlin above it's also taken a pretty big local dodo, and a 5 lb bonito 😆. Soon as my foot is better and I get back out there, this thing will be in the water at all times.

Now is the time of year. Go get one!

View attachment 1200343
    Brother....I believe that's a SADU brand "Flying fish" color correct?

Reactions: Baja Belk
    Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    One last tip..... stolen from PETE and Steve from the day..... A surface popper with no hooks..... will turn a looker / tailer into a biter..... just cast it by him and work it good a few times..... then pitch the mack...... they'll eat it every time!! Have actually "poached" fish others have spent time trying to get with no luck. Just wait until they leave.... you'll see. Good luck.

Reactions: Larmo and SMYLEE
    Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    Yup, Duane hooked a blue on Friday. He would know. Pictures/video to corroborate.

I really hope I don't have to eat all my slander against the wahoo-truthers...... :oops:
    Most likely large stripers, they have been caught to over 300 lbs off california. It is possible though. A whale shark was seen last week off the coast so who knows. Right there with you on the wahoo slander.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    I don't know if they're even available anymore.... but in the 80's - 90's we use to slay with them.... locally all the way to the Cape. For those not in the know. ... get / make that color combo for sure.... "flyingfish"...even if it's not on that deadly SADU head. Not so tough to reskirt that / any lure.... using floss and quality octopus skirts.

Still have 6 small and 3 large SADU'S.... my most productive lures in 40 years of lure fishing. (trolling)....bar none. Just saying.... If you see them....buy them.

P.S. Perfect rigging for that one as well! Just my opinion....lol.

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Anyone going Marlin fishing this weekend. I was just going to take the wife out for some Bonito fun then head off to the commercial bank for that late YF bite. But now I'm going to convince her (HOPEFULLY) that trolling around is what we're doing!
    Right now there are 3 Higher Percentage places to concentrate on marlin in the SD Area:
    425-371-302-Pukey triangle; The La Jolla Canyon; and the ridge between the 182-181. You have Mexican Paperwork to deal with in the 425 area, increased swell and wind in the afternoon on the 181 ridge, and a few fish off La Jolla to Encinitas 5-15 miles offshore take your pick Fish are around Catalina too if you want to make a weekend out of it

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Right now there are 3 Higher Percentage places to concentrate on marlin in the SD Area:
    425-371-302-Pukey triangle;
    How do you get a four cornered triangle?🙂

Upvote 0

Baja Belk

Long sappy fish stories.
    Sep 8, 2009
    San Diego/CA/USA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    18.5 Striper CC - Puro Grande
    I don't know if they're even available anymore.... but in the 80's - 90's we use to slay with them.... locally all the way to the Cape. For those not in the know. ... get / make that color combo for sure.... "flyingfish"...even if it's not on that deadly SADU head. Not so tough to reskirt that / any lure.... using floss and quality octopus skirts.

Still have 6 small and 3 large SADU'S.... my most productive lures in 40 years of lure fishing. (trolling)....bar none. Just saying.... If you see them....buy them.

P.S. Perfect rigging for that one as well! Just my opinion....lol.

Good to know! I cleaned out an old-timer who was "retiring". He had more stuff than some tackle shops. $600 got me a still brand-new-in-box-never used Trini 50, Trini 12, and Calcutta 400. Another $200 got me his long-range box, and all the jigs, feathers, line, tools, wahoo bombs, marauders, etc that I could fit in the cab of my truck. That SADU was in there along with about 10 other marlin lures. That day was better than any Christmas I've ever had.

The fish we hooked last summer actually tore up the leader pretty good so I re-rigged it. Also sharpened the hook since that's now 2 fish that have fallen off it. I'm hoping the 3rd will be a different ending.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

TJ33

The tug is the drug
    Jul 23, 2020
    San Francisco
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    Grady White 226
    How important is blue water with these fish? Sounds like people have been getting them pretty far north and in green water.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    BAJA..... use the toothpick technique to wedge the leader in the head. Increases the chance of hookup. Cannot state enough that I carefully sharpen the hooks before it goes in the water.... EVERYTIME...PERIOD!!

Another hint no one mentioned..... check for (flotsum / seawood/ eel grass) debris on the hooks every 20 minutes. If your a "sharp" lure guy. .... you know the action of all the lures running in their respective spots at any given time.... any sea swell. From rod tip action to the running wake.
    When it becomes a little rough. .... think about using the #32 or #64 rubber band to the handle..... to lower the tow angle to achieve the proper action. This also provides a "drop back" period.... which I believes helps the hookup ratio considerably.... by putting that lure in the fish's face/ bill. Just a few thoughts to keep in mind.

Last but least...... don't forget to have that "drop back mack" ready hook in the nose.....swimming in your rear bait tank. This is ALWAYS number one when marlin trolling......don't put the lures out until it's already set up..... and ready. Good luck. Get out early.....and throw baits to the early "sleepers" you may see if watching closely.... on the way to the banks/spots.

Upvote 0