El Patron Hand

Tip Up!
Sep 24, 2009
Bullhead City AZ USA
Name
Steve
Boat
21' Galaxie, Menage a Trois
Talk to me, people! What's the definitive (from your perspective) take on using double hooks versus single hooks when rigging lures (Zuker's 3.5's, Sevenstrand 1200's, Sevenstrand 1220's, etc.) for fishing SoCal striped marlin? If two, what hook setup? If one, what hook? Has anyone used (gasp) circle hooks to rig their lures?

Upvote 0

Big Pancho

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 2, 2007
Thousand Oaks
Name
Frank Ochoa
Boat
21' Seaswirl Striper
Steve shoot El Capo (Mike) a PM he will give you the low down on your questions. Mike is the trolling lure Master and makes some incredible pieces of art that just kill those big fish your going after.

Big Pancho

Upvote 0

BigJack

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 20, 2008
Austin Tx
Name
jack
Boat
24' fiber form
Remember what they say about double hooks: "One for the fish, one for the fisherman."

Amen to that the only time I would use double hooks is for fishing albacore.

Upvote 0

IglooMan

Aug 29, 2006
From La Paz, San Diego for Work...
www.archersuperbars.com
Name
Chris
Boat
Cabo 216, 38' Hatteras SF
And yes on the circle hooks in lures. We switched over to all circles a few years back.

They provide great hookup/landing ratios and when a Marlin comes in but for whatever reason doesnt just eat the lure, he doesnt stuck by a sharp metal object and will just keep coming back until hes got the circle lodged in his jaw.

Check Fred Archers board for a lot more info on this...

Upvote 0

marlinmike

head rigger in charge
Jan 22, 2008
lure heaven
Name
MR.P
Boat
6'4'' viking R. I. P.
single stiff rig as far back in the skirt as rules allow is what i do for the carp here and down below. as far as blues/blacks at the cape and further sur we run mostly singles but some lures just need the extra "keel". as far as the cicrle hook thing we don't use them only on bait never on lures still don't think they work well no proof so far. also alot of times i'll rig my dbls with an 11/0 rear hook with a 10/0 front hook this works well for us.
big mike

Upvote 0

Fred Archer

Big Game's the Name
May 16, 2004
Laguna Niguel/Cabo
Name
Captain Fred Archer
Boat
36 Custom (Cabo)
"No proof so far"???

Chris was raised in La Paz and worked as a deckhand and later a top captain on Fishermens Fleet, including running their big battlewagon that ran many mult-day trips up to Mag Bay. As he noted here, he actually tried and then switched to circles several years ago and his post speaks for the results.

I remind the readers, this young fellow has likely caught more striped marlin in one month than most who merely visit The Baja once in a while and in many seasons up here, where the marlin fishing is stinko, compared to in The Baja. I call that pretty good proof that the circles work. And remember, he had ZERO to gain, other than achieving a better hookup and landing ratio for his charter customers by changing to the circles. Then, and to this day, he didn't sell hooks or hook rigs or anything like that. So the man is speaking from that very important angle, experience, and for no other reason.

I, myself, lived in Cabo and ran my charterboat there for years. Fact is, I personally ran numerous charters a year, plus many trips testing various lures, techniques, tackle, rigging, etc. I rigged with and fished circle hooks starting almost twenty years ago. This included bait and spreaderbar chasebaits and traditional marlin lures. Long story short, I did it for the very same reasons that Chris and some others have - vastly superior hookup and landing ratios, plus a dramatic improvement in healthy billfish and other species releases.

We do not sell traditional marlin lures, so we have no hidden agenda there. Nor do we sell hook rigs, other than the ones on the lures that we do sell. (We do have a shark hook rig that we are about to start selling - but that's for sharks, not marlin.) And in the final analysiis, neither Chris nor I could care less what hooks people buy and use, other than trying to help them choose the ones that will give them better catch results. That's trying to help, not selling something other than a concept - and we are giving that away here.

I clearly recall, "Ballyhoo won't work for in The Baja". And, "Circle hooks are no good in live baits for marlin or anything else". And "Troll marlin won't bite the wire". "And wind-on leaders? What a joke, we don't need them". And "Fluorescent line? It'll spook the fish!" And "Topshots? What the hell is a top shot?" "Trolling and catching wahoo at twenty knots? No way! That's TOO Fast!" And on, and on, and on.

"No proof so far?" Nonsense! That is an insult to the many years that some of us have had great success with circle hooks in lures. Just as it was with those other things listed above, there are always some (and I'm not saying that we are the only ones like this) that get to fish enough, in a venue with huge numbers of fish, who are willing to not just catch fish the same old way, but who try, learn and discover or confirm that certain new approaches can really help fishermen catch fish.

I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but I call those who can and do do these things worthy of listening to and, on top of that, appreciating their efforts to pass what they have learned on to others...especially if no hidden agendas are involved and the people in question actually put the time and work in to learn about these things.

"New" ain't bad...it's just "new" and can be a lot better than "old"...but you have to actually do it to know for sure, or have faith in the experience and good intentions of those who have "been there, done that."

And yeah, for whatever it's worth, I still love ya, Mikey! The doggies send their best to yours, but they still keep asking, "Turtle? What's a turtle?" (Inside joke!)

Over

Upvote 0

shagnrelease

Mar 15, 2010
South africa
Name
Greg
Boat
22ft yeldcat, ShagnRelease
Hi there, I am new to thesite and am still figuring out how things work, are there any picture available of how you would rig a marlin lure with a circle hook??

thanks

Upvote 0

el capo

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 15, 2007
El Mundo
Name
miguel
Boat
none
single stiff rig as far back in the skirt as rules allow is what i do for the carp here and down below. as far as blues/blacks at the cape and further sur we run mostly singles but some lures just need the extra "keel". as far as the cicrle hook thing we don't use them only on bait never on lures still don't think they work well no proof so far. also alot of times i'll rig my dbls with an 11/0 rear hook with a 10/0 front hook this works well for us.
big mike

Everybody fucks different! I for the most part am with big Mike on this. I do use circle hooks in my thresher lures though but the technique is different. You do not stop the boat on a marlin jig strike. P/M me if you want and I will give you my full take on it all. The lack of appreciation toward educated points of view on this site leaves me without words a lot of the time.

Upvote 0

Capt. G

BD Outdoors Contributor
May 25, 2007
Osaka, Japan
www.bigbait.jp
Name
Capt. G
Boat
黒潮No.2
Everybody fucks different! I for the most part am with big Mike on this. I do use circle hooks in my thresher lures though but the technique is different. You do not stop the boat on a marlin jig strike. P/M me if you want and I will give you my full take on it all. The lack of appreciation toward educated points of view on this site leaves me without words a lot of the time.

Well, I appreciate you knowledgeable posts/ways.
I have caught/captained just over 300 billfish, but am still learning.
I like to read all points of views on techniques/rigging, and apply what suits my style (lame style?) best.

Upvote 0

Fred Archer

Big Game's the Name
May 16, 2004
Laguna Niguel/Cabo
Name
Captain Fred Archer
Boat
36 Custom (Cabo)
Patron,

Sorry it took me a while to post this...been a bit under the weather lately.

I'm not going to get into an argument about circle hooks in lures, except to say that I have been using them with great success for roughly two decades now, mostly on my charterboat in Cabo, but elsewhere too. Others, like our Captains Chris Jones and his dad, who owns and operates Fishermens Fleet in La Paz, and local charter captain Tim Marking have too, as has George Poveromo (on casted lures), who has written several articles in national magazines on his success with them. That is all I have to say about circle hooks in lures...it really doesn't matter to me what kind of hook or rigging someone else chooses, except that I do believe one needs to try something before they claim to know that it doesn't work.

All of that aside, rigging hooks, be they J's or C's, is a fairy broad ranging subject. That being the case, I'd like to offer you one of my books that covers the subject in great detail with my compliments, Patron. It doesn't have all of the answers, including how to rig double hooks, because our own experience and input from some very talented billfishermen have convinced us that the singles are the best, plus the safest hook rigs.

Here are a few peeks at some rigging details from the Marlin Book, which is the one that I hope will help you the most...

Attachments

• bgj  circ vs j2.jpg
    bgj circ vs j2.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 136
  • BWU PUTO TAIL 2 CAPS.jpg
    BWU PUTO TAIL 2 CAPS.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 133
  • PIPER SCOR EXPOSED 2 CAPS copy.jpg
    PIPER SCOR EXPOSED 2 CAPS copy.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 140
  • PIPER TAIL EXPOSED CAPS 2 copy.jpg
    PIPER TAIL EXPOSED CAPS 2 copy.jpg