wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
Vacancy
where did I hear about another marlin hooked up earlier in the week? Gear up kiddos.

You guys faired WAY BETTER than us. Same with your pics! It’s awesome even though you didn’t land it either. Can’t wait for someone to bring one aboard!!

Pssst, did you happen notice a Shimano flatfall and about 10’ of 40# fluorocarbon? Kiley would like that back. LOL

masterrep

Sep 14, 2009
Federal Way WA
Www.Customplusdistributing.com
Name
Bob Oliver
Boat
26 ft North River OS
I heard someone on the radio say they were watching a sailfish jump or marlin must of been you guys. It put on a show that’s for sure. My buddy Johnny Brandt is still talking about it today it was amazing for sure they have so much power and speed.

masterrep

Sep 14, 2009
Federal Way WA
Www.Customplusdistributing.com
Name
Bob Oliver
Boat
26 ft North River OS
where did I hear about another marlin hooked up earlier in the week? Gear up kiddos.

You guys faired WAY BETTER than us. Same with your pics! It’s awesome even though you didn’t land it either. Can’t wait for someone to bring one aboard!!

Pssst, did you happen notice a Shimano flatfall and about 10’ of 40# fluorocarbon? Kiley would like that back. LOL
Was it a pink with blue 140 must of been his:jig:

Last edited:
Reactions: wdlfbio

FINATIC 21

MAD SALMON
Jul 20, 2010
Oly, WA
Name
Jay
Boat
27 Raydanie Pilothouse
Our two penn 30’s out the back should handle em’. Friggin awsome jump shot man ..!

Nice job.....!!!

wa_docholliday

doc holliday
Jul 11, 2013
Lynnwood,wa
Name
Ryan Holliday
Boat
doc holliday
Seriously has nothing to do with gunning the boat on a random marlin hook up... you’re speaking from a tourist point where a captain in Mexico did that once.... there are no rules about gunning the boat or not gunning the boat.... sometimes they run sideways, and gunning the boat will do nothing... I have caught a lot of marlin and 99% of the time the captain did not “gun the boat”.

More times than not, the rod is grabbed and then a very heavy hook set multiple times in a row to bury the hook.... exactly what he said.... sometimes you toss out a bait and they grab it... then the same thing... heavy multiple hook set....

Sorry for the rant, but Monday morning quarterback with needing to “gun the boat” is not what is needed here.... especially when the information is wrong...

An experience Marlin captain knows when he needs to “gun the boat”, because he is also targeting marlin and knows he has a marlin strike. Marlin coming up into the spread are traveling fast, so they “gun the boat” to keep tension until the deckhand can get to the rod and set the hook multiple times...

First off sorry didn’t know you were an expert in how many fish I’ve caught or marlin but that’s really irrelevant. What may be your experience is completely different than my” Cabo tourist experience” I’m trying to help these guys land a marlin so please share more of your vast experience to give them the techniques needed but I haven’t seen you landing one here this year either....? And Btw every marlin I’ve caught from Cabo to kona to Florida every boat captain has done the same thing if we hook up on the troll so our experiences just may be different

Waterdog~

Just one more
Sep 1, 2009
Hollywood
Name
Brian
Boat
Tiderunner

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
First off sorry didn’t know you were an expert in how many fish I’ve caught or marlin but that’s really irrelevant. What may be your experience is completely different than my” Cabo tourist experience” I’m trying to help these guys land a marlin so please share more of your vast experience to give them the techniques needed but I haven’t seen you landing one here this year either....? And Btw every marlin I’ve caught from Cabo to kona to Florida every boat captain has done the same thing if we hook up on the troll so our experiences just may be different
That’s your experience... many times a boat captain will gun the boat to simply keep pressure on the fish, it does not set the hook since the drag is loose, they keep pressure until the deck hand grabs the rod, dials it down and then aggressively sets the hook multiple times..... go back to your memory bank and replay it in your head..... I’d be real surprised if once the deckhand grabbed the rod he didn’t set the hook even after the boat was gunned.

Keep in mind the difference between a marlin boat targeting marlin in an area know to have marlin and Albacore fishing in the PNW...... He had good advice already, that you really need to set the hook! He does not need to gun the boat..

Odin7

Doug Fir
Apr 19, 2008
Beverly Hills
Name
Elizabeth Warning
Boat
Space Shuttle
Content like this is trouble!

What are you guys who only use halibut fishing for a place holder until the albacore arrive going to do now that bluefin tuna and marlin are on your radar?

Glad I went to a smaller boat. It is the fisherman's version of lap band surgery to prevent excessive marine fuel consumption.

Go get em!

Reactions: South Sounder

Sockeye71

If it swims... we will hunt it down and club it!
Jul 5, 2011
Maple Valley
Name
Dave
Boat
Olympic 26' XLC "Sea Monkey"
Saturday...We had "something" hit our 8" Kona jet-head ran approx 200' back off middle rocket launcher... Penn Fathom/60 with 500 yards of 80# braid & 75 yards backing.... w/ 6', 100# mono leader.

I did gun-it for 5 seconds to bury the hook...... all that did was get me spooled as it ran port side and up around front of the boat. We had it on for about 3 minutes. Barely could get rod out of the rocket launcher.

Sucks we lost our rig...

lostrig.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bdrlgion and Odin7

Tower Todd

Number #2
May 2, 2006
Touring the Pacific Ocean at 12 knots
www.mountainequipmentservices.com
Name
Todd S.
Boat
274' Long Range
So cool you guys hooked one!

Gunning the boat serves one purpose: giving a tourist more time to fight a fish. The big downside is that the more line in the water, the more drag on the line and much greater chance of a break off.

TT

Last edited:

Team Chrome

Captain
Mar 23, 2011
Mukilteo
Name
Aaron
Boat
26 custom
I've caught 100's of marlin over the last 10 years. You did everything right. Just keep the line tight and chase them around. Last year we were landing them on 15 and 20lb test live bait rods. When fishing light gear just change the angle of the leverage often. They have the advantage straight down or straight away. What an awesome day! Great story!!!