masterrep

Sep 14, 2009
Federal Way WA
Www.Customplusdistributing.com
Name
Bob Oliver
Boat
26 ft North River OS
We fished the WTC and the day started out great. We ran south to 26/44 saw 66.8 degree water so decided to get on the troll we pretty much were in the fish non stop. By 11:30 had 19 in the boat back on the troll with Zucchini being the hot set up and my buddy Johnny yeahs fish on then he’s yeahs Bob I have a Marlin on. I go are you serious and he’s like going crazy I have Marlin. I look behind the boat and it’s tail walking and I’m going crazy myself and just thinking are you serious we have a Marlin on a Zucchini and it’s running straight out and he can’t stop it. It starts jumping over and over on the run like a dolphin does like running hurdles. I get on it my brother directing me we gain ground then it takes off again over and over. We played for 20 min I’m thinking ok got my leather gloves and we’re going land this it’s going to happen. It’s gets to maybe 50 ft and Johnny yelling it’s right there and then it runs again. He’s getting worn out I’m thinking ok I’ll take over let my brother drive the boat and then it’s over it spits the hook. For the rest of the day I’m like did that just really happen I’m screaming like can you believe we hooked a Marlin. I’m saying it was at least 4 feet long. My brother has video most of it is the chaos of chasing it down. I have these photos you need to zoom in but you can see it coming out of the water the video is long so not sure I can download on this site if so I’ll share for everyone. The bottom line this really blew my mind I would say other than my first son being born this is the biggest rush I’ve ever experienced it was amazing. I was told by a buddy you need to set the hook super hard like at least 5 times to try to get it to stick. Johnny did a hook set but not 5 times he kept it tight but knowing what we know now we would have just set it hard to try to get it hooked solid I guess they have very hard beaks so now we know or you guys now know if you get lucky enough to hook up. What’s crazy it just died off after that we ended up with 27 for the day it was a awesome day for sure.

3759DD6F-6F5B-43DC-ABA8-78A093952543.jpeg F2795214-345E-4FD4-87E5-C65EBA499BA4.jpeg 6D3F5832-9383-4631-8641-8EE603D736B7.jpeg A6EC9574-D7C7-4D30-ABAE-31C1AAE93DA5.jpeg C07B365E-5FCB-48A1-AE10-1394C87C1EEC.jpeg EBA196CE-91D4-459F-9AF1-478D62A63738.jpeg

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
That’s pretty cool! I saw one jumping 10-12 years ago.... ran towards it hoping to get a chance.... no such love... some cool stuff in our fishery!

Mexico or Hawaii and a handful of other places Marlo equals no big deal! PNW...... if you catch a Marlin...... Epic!

Reactions: Genie Aye

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
Sep 25, 2008
Westport/Renton
Name
Cap't Paul
Boat
V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
I heard about Johnny's hook up from his buddy Dave, congrats, that is way cool.

Reactions: G-Spot

MarkColeman

Boat Slave
Advertiser
May 20, 2010
Westport, Snoqualmie, Los Suenos
www.AllWashingtonFishing.com
Name
Mark Coleman
Boat
16' Guide, 20' Scout, 29’ Defiance’s Elite, Ultra, Express Style, 31' Luhrs, 42’ Pilothouse
Very awesome
You guys!

Reactions: Genie Aye

masterrep

Sep 14, 2009
Federal Way WA
Name
Bob Oliver
Boat
26 ft North River OS
First hooked up, identifiable non limp tale thresher marlin in WP in a long time. Nice work Bob!!! I would have lived to see you stick a gaff in that fucker!
Thanks Patrick my brother did his best with phone to get some photos they are so freaking fast we had a shot at it that’s for sure. I bet someone will get one this year it’s awesome to go out and get Tuna but now we all have a shot at a Marlin. Was using a Shimano TLD25 65 pound braid with 80 pound leader so I’m glad I had a decent set up on the troll rod it didn’t break off just didn’t get a good enough hook set

wa_docholliday

doc holliday
Jul 11, 2013
Lynnwood,wa
Name
Ryan Holliday
Boat
doc holliday
To get a good hook set you need to gun the boat forward. If you have ever marlin fished the captain peels off a couple hundred yards of line gets it out of the spread and it’s the captains job to keep good tension the boat usually stays in forward not chasing it down in reverse until the fish is tired

PNW_Fisherman

Oct 17, 2018
Tacoma, WA
Name
Kiley Brehm
Boat
Whore
Thanks Patrick my brother did his best with phone to get some photos they are so freaking fast we had a shot at it that’s for sure. I bet someone will get one this year it’s awesome to go out and get Tuna but now we all have a shot at a Marlin. Was using a Shimano TLD25 65 pound braid with 80 pound leader so I’m glad I had a decent set up on the troll rod it didn’t break off just didn’t get a good enough hook set

You mean my knot held? :) Fricken awesome Bob!

Reactions: Grady226

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
To get a good hook set you need to gun the boat forward. If you have ever marlin fished the captain peels off a couple hundred yards of line gets it out of the spread and it’s the captains job to keep good tension the boat usually stays in forward not chasing it down in reverse until the fish is tired

With a TLD 25 though?

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME

Seriously has nothing to do with gunning the boat on a random marlin hook up... you’re speaking from a tourist point where a captain in Mexico did that once.... there are no rules about gunning the boat or not gunning the boat.... sometimes they run sideways, and gunning the boat will do nothing... I have caught a lot of marlin and 99% of the time the captain did not “gun the boat”.

More times than not, the rod is grabbed and then a very heavy hook set multiple times in a row to bury the hook.... exactly what he said.... sometimes you toss out a bait and they grab it... then the same thing... heavy multiple hook set....

Sorry for the rant, but Monday morning quarterback with needing to “gun the boat” is not what is needed here.... especially when the information is wrong...

An experience Marlin captain knows when he needs to “gun the boat”, because he is also targeting marlin and knows he has a marlin strike. Marlin coming up into the spread are traveling fast, so they “gun the boat” to keep tension until the deckhand can get to the rod and set the hook multiple times...

Reactions: Whalebreath

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
where did I hear about another marlin hooked up earlier in the week? Gear up kiddos.

You guys faired WAY BETTER than us. Same with your pics! It’s awesome even though you didn’t land it either. Can’t wait for someone to bring one aboard!!

Pssst, did you happen notice a Shimano flatfall and about 10’ of 40# fluorocarbon? Kiley would like that back. LOL

masterrep

Sep 14, 2009
Federal Way WA
Name
Bob Oliver
Boat
26 ft North River OS
where did I hear about another marlin hooked up earlier in the week? Gear up kiddos.

You guys faired WAY BETTER than us. Same with your pics! It’s awesome even though you didn’t land it either. Can’t wait for someone to bring one aboard!!

Pssst, did you happen notice a Shimano flatfall and about 10’ of 40# fluorocarbon? Kiley would like that back. LOL
Was it a pink with blue 140 must of been his:jig:

Last edited:
Reactions: wdlfbio