Coxswain
Sep 3, 2003
Channel Islands Harbor Calif.
Visit site
Name
Frank Sullivan
Boat
35ft Viking Sportfisher
Great day on the water. Prefished the 5 day Channel Islands Bill Fish Tournament that starts Sept. 8th 2018. I had a raw crew, only one had fished Marlin on a private boat before. I mostly went out to show them how to setup the boat for trolling and to do a little exploring.
We were behind Santa Cruz Island, water temps were 74 to 76 degrees and the water was crystal clear!! We trolled for about 4 hours when I saw a disturbance on the water. I just caught it in the corner of my eye. I was not sure what it was so, I angled that way. I should have given the crew a heads up. Then it was "fish on off the port corner flatline". Bob Deyling grabbed the rod and I had the other guys start clearing the lines.
I was going to drop back a bait but the raw crew had their hands full just getting the tackle out of the way. Bob was loosing line fast even with the lever set at full! (My fault I set the drags too louse). I just guesstimated the drag. This was, after all, just a practice trip LOL. Nothing else to do but try to tighten up the drag. But to do so I had to take some pressure off the lever drag reel to crank down the drag knob. While doing so, either I gave the fish too much slack or the new drag setting was to tight and the line parted. I think I just gave it too much slack because the line end was frayed looking I think he got his bill on the line.

The Marlin jumped and tail danced about 4 times.So now my crew at least knows what a marlin looks like in a fight,

Ran out of time and headed home, missed a good chance to fly a Marlin Release flag

Reactions: sickcat

bays90

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 17, 2010
Kailua-Kona HI USA
Name
Chris
Boat
46' Viking, Mi Novia, Quepos, Costa Rica
You can eliminate that problem by making a sharp turn to the port side and circle the fish let it take line. The majority of the line lost is you driving away from the fish at 8 knots. Clear the port rigger and stinger, added benefit lets you fish the starboard side lures, for multiples. Even with a light drag you can recapture enough line to make the adjustments needed after the fish settles down.

Valkyrie

Coxswain
Sep 3, 2003
Channel Islands Harbor Calif.
Visit site
Name
Frank Sullivan
Boat
35ft Viking Sportfisher
You can eliminate that problem by making a sharp turn to the port side and circle the fish let it take line. The majority of the line lost is you driving away from the fish at 8 knots. Clear the port rigger and stinger, added benefit lets you fish the starboard side lures, for multiples. Even with a light drag you can recapture enough line to make the adjustments needed after the fish settles down.
Thank You Chris, excellent tip that I should have thought of myself. I appreciate it.

Aliboy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 27, 2017
NZ
Name
David
Boat
44ft Sportfisher
I once set one of my drags by 'feel'. I really miss that favourite, beat up, old lure. Since then I never put a marlin or big tuna etc lure/bait in the water without having set the drag with scales. Too many other things to deal with upon a strike, especially with a green crew. Good luck in the tournament.