CooldadE

Mar 28, 2010
Antioch,Ca
Name
Ed
Boat
13'4" Gregor
Hey y’all,
I’m getting all that is needful done in prep for a 4 day on the Searcher. I sent 2 Fathom reels to Carl’s for blueprint, a 40LD2 and 30LD2. The 40 is packed with 80# and the 30 will be packed with 65# …i also have an Avet HXJ Raptor packed with 80#. I want to mark the spectra so I can gauge depth for jigs or sinker rigs… the 40 will be used for 80# jigs and sinker rigs, the HXJ will be used with 50#-60# for jigs and sinker rigs and the 30 will be used for 40# jigs and sinker rigs. My question is…how light of outfits do y’all mark depth on your spectra ?

Cool

Upvote 0

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
Three Rivers California
Name
PJ Stevko
Boat
N/A
I just marked mine 2 days ago...
Got to your local baseball / football field with a rod, rod holder, reels, surveyors tape 100', tent stakes, hammer, pocket knife and 2 fabric sharpie markers.

Stretch out the tape measure to 100' and mark the spot with a tent stake. Cut the tip of the marker with the pocket knife. Put reel on the rod and place in the rod holder placed at the end of the tape measure. Loosen the drag so you can pull line out easily without causing an overrun. Pull your braid out to the far tent stake then wrap it around the stake and bring the tag end back to the reel. Make 2 long marks on your braid closest to the top of the rod by running your braid through the slit in the top of your sharpie. Walk out to the stake at the 100' mark and make one long mark on the braid with the sharpie. Now repeat the process until you have marks every 100' for at least 400'

Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Hey y’all,
My question is…how light of outfits do y’all mark depth on your spectra ?
Would suggest that you mark your line not based on the size of the rig but on what rigs you are going to attach lead in an effort to reach targets that are at the deeper depths. Routinely use a 40 rig with 3oz targeting the smaller grade tuna.

My .37 cents worth for your consideration.

Walt

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    I do it similar to Pjstevko, except I use a 25' tape and mark at 50' increments with 1 foot of black for every 100' and 1' of red at each 50'. 1' mark insures that I see them. Let them dry before you wind them back up or they bleed, causing confusion.
    So 1' red = 50'
    1' black= 100'
    1' red and 1' black=150'
    2 1' black marks=200'
    2 black marks and 1 red =250'

Upvote 0

CrustyOne

Legend in my own mind
    Mar 7, 2017
    Back in SoCal
    Name
    Crusty
    Boat
    minidrifter
    I do it similar to Pjstevko, except I use a 25' tape and mark at 50' increments with 1 foot of black for every 100' and 1' of red at each 50'. 1' mark insures that I see them. Let them dry before you wind them back up or they bleed, causing confusion.
    So 1' red = 50'
    1' black= 100'
    1' red and 1' black=150'
    2 1' black marks=200'
    2 black marks and 1 red =250'
    Mine is similar...but different. :p. I just have a black marker and make 18 inch long marks. One for 100 feet, two marks for 200 feet, 3 marks for 300 feet.

Upvote 0

jig77

Almost A Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    huntington beach
    Name
    michael
    Boat
    Mako 20'
    Marked mine similar to others with sharpie. One mark for 100’, two marks for 200’ up to 500’. I got a buddy to hold a rod n reel with no line on it. Had him stand 100’ away and reeled up the line 100’ feet at a time. Then had him free spool the reel with some added thumb tension so I could get the braid back on tightly. It was also nice not to have 500’ of line laying on the ground possibly getting frayed and knowing my luck, getting all tangled up. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

ljg619

Jun 30, 2020
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Leonard Gibson
    Boat
    SS Minnow
    Mine is similar...but different. :p. I just have a black marker and make 18 inch long marks. One for 100 feet, two marks for 200 feet, 3 marks for 300 feet.
    I do same but mark about 10 inches. I leave about 10“ space between dashes for 200 and 300 feet. I would probably done 18 inches if I could do it again. Easier to see however I still need headlamp for night flatfalling.

Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 3, 2014
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fond Memory
    Marked mine similar to others with sharpie. One mark for 100’, two marks for 200’ up to 500’. I got a buddy to hold a rod n reel with no line on it. Had him stand 100’ away and reeled up the line 100’ feet at a time. Then had him free spool the reel with some added thumb tension so I could get the braid back on tightly. It was also nice not to have 500’ of line laying on the ground possibly getting frayed and knowing my luck, getting all tangled up. Hope this helps.
    Similar to how I do it, two rods facing each other 25’ apart. Sand spike holding main rod and my buddy (milk crate full of lead with a pvc rod holder) with the other 😉.

Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
    torrance, ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Vagabond
    Hey y’all,
    I’m getting all that is needful done in prep for a 4 day on the Searcher. I sent 2 Fathom reels to Carl’s for blueprint, a 40LD2 and 30LD2. The 40 is packed with 80# and the 30 will be packed with 65# …i also have an Avet HXJ Raptor packed with 80#. I want to mark the spectra so I can gauge depth for jigs or sinker rigs… the 40 will be used for 80# jigs and sinker rigs, the HXJ will be used with 50#-60# for jigs and sinker rigs and the 30 will be used for 40# jigs and sinker rigs. My question is…how light of outfits do y’all mark depth on your spectra ?

Cool
    I stopped marking line and just determine fall rate of the jigs. Usually between 4 feet (200g) and 6 feet (300g) a second.

Upvote 0

bimini

May 28, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Visit site
    I just measured out 50' down my hallway, pulled out 50 yards and hand reeled the line back onto an empty line spool back to the rod, mark 2 feet with a permanent black fabric marker and repeat. The line doesn't even need to touch the ground.

Upvote 0