Marking depth on your line

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by JohnnieB, Aug 20, 2018.

1. JohnnieB

JohnnieB SelFishAddiction

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    Unknown limits
    So, How is everyone marking depth on their line for flat fall jigging? Arm length pulls? clip on line counter? Then mark with sharpie? what about seeing the marks at night? Possibly a glow marker? Lot's of questions, thought it would be interesting.

2. Surfer Ed

Surfer Ed Member

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    Shogun, Vagabond, Constitution, New Lo Ann
    Line pull. For example reel to tip of rod is 5 ft. 10 pulls from the tip 50
    Ft. Decide how to mark depth. I do 100ft. Increments. Mark spectra with black sharpie about 2 ft length.

3. vinniethefish

vinniethefish ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Name:
    Vince Borrego
    Boat:
    2006 Skeeter
    When topwater frog fishing for largemouth bass I would use the magnum sharpie and run the line over the sharpie about 5’ from the bait when fishing white spectra to color the line. Not hard to miss in low light conditions when fishing white braid. The Florida guys flipping heavy cover do this religiously for their flipping setup but I’ve yet to see a difference in bites with/without except in super clear water.

[​IMG]

Sharpie sells then in black, blue and red for about $6 at office depot if you feel like varying the color between depths or marking in 50’ increments with another color. If you’re using yellow or white braid the black is really easy to see. Green or Blue braid you’ll have a hard time seeing the color change.

If you’re using hollow core you could probably whip a loop of one color braid to another and attach via a cats claw but that’s a bit more involved than buying a $6 sharpie.

Buttchaser likes this.
  4. DennisV

DennisV Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat:
    Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
    If you are using hollow-core, you can insert a half inch long piece of soft mono at appropriate intervals (25ft, 5 fathoms etc.) in your line. You will feel them going out through the guides and all you have to do is count the bumps and you don't have to keep your eyes glued to the line. Works going down and going up too.

Derby and loosendrag like this.
  5. 5-20

5-20 Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    I like the idea of going out to the local football field and walking off a hundred yards of line, marking it off and then reeling it back in with all kinds of dirt, wood chips, grass clippings and line paint stuck on the line, and having all that stuff create micro abrasions on your braid just a little bit!

Can't make it too easy on those big bluefin. We're already chasing them in giant boats with 40k worth of electronics using finely machined rods and reels that can cost four figures easily. Those fish can't hide from us! It's just not fair to those fish.

6. loosendrag

loosendrag Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    None
    Brilliant idea!!!

7. MAG0121

MAG0121 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Marco Gonzalez
    Boat:
    Nah
    First I figured out how long my pull is (6ft), then begin marking at 100ft with a 3 inch blue sharpie. Mark both sides of line, then wipe with a dry paper towel until it seems dry, Then wipe with a wet paper towel until no marks left. If you don't dry it, it'll bleed out onto the rest of your line (presuming this is white braid).

Second 3 inch mark at 150ft. Then two 1.5 inch marks at 200ft. One 3 inch mark at 250. Three 1.5 inch marks at 300, one 3 inch mark at 350. Etc. marked up to 800ft.

I used a second smaller reel to wind the line on as I worked the marks. And for the record, these marks made all the difference on my 260# a couple of weeks ago. Knowing you are between 200-300 when the capt. says that's where they are gives a lot of peace of mind. Also, when there's a lot of drift, you know you need 500-600ft out to get to 300ft depth...

8. stephen campbell

stephen campbell aka "Soup"

Name:
    Stephen Campbell
    Boat:
    S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
    P1010025.JPG

I built this from an old hose reel. Pipe work makes a square frame about as big as will fit. Diameter is random, all one has to do is make a chart to relate # of cranks to feet, yards, fathoms, furlongs whatever. I use it to inspect, wash, measure whatever.

InDeepShip likes this.
  9. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In My Dreams
    You can get some dental floss and put acouple half hitches where you want the depth. It runs threw eyes pretty easy and doesn't damage braid

10. DannyNoonan

DannyNoonan Smarter than I look...

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Somebody Else's
    I just use multi-color braid on my jigging setups - count the color changes as the jig drops (10m or roughly 30' each change)…

Haven't tried it, but I like an idea that I believe Alan Tani suggested awhile back of doing an inline splice of colored spectra at various depths to give you a reference...

Sharpies work too...

11. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Multi color braid is hard to see at night.

Even black/red/blue marks on white braid.

Go buy a head lamp. But dont buy it unless it has a red lamp feature. With the red light you can see perfect and not f-up everyone else's night vision including your own.