Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
So as I get closer to buying I've been searching posts on surveys and surveyors, seems this Mike Dickson is a popular and well liked guy. I get all the mechanical, electrical and plumbing stuff but what can they do to determine the condition of the wood under glass? Do they x-ray the damned thing? Poke holes in it? I have had wood boats and I know how to look for soft spots and rot, but how do they inspect stringers and transoms on FG boats? Curious minds and all that. I'm going to call him up but wanted to be able to ask intelligent questions so I'm asking here first. Thanks !

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I know they can check hull condition with an ultrasound kind of device. They also have moisture meters to check for rot and wet wood within fiberglass.

Upvote 0

TAPOUT

Sep 17, 2004
San Diego
Name
Erik
Boat
Cabo 48 FB "Outlaw", Yellowfin 26 Hybrid "Boomer"
Percussion tests for voids, moisture meter for internal moisture, boroscope camera to look into small areas not easily seen. Ask to see one of his completed surveys. That will tell you how comprehensive he is.

Upvote 0

Sly McFly

Jun 18, 2014
Name
Jim
Boat
Sly McFly
they tap the fiberglass with the blunt end of a screwdriver handle. You can tell a lot by the sound. Sharp ring is good. Dead flat sound is bad. If the handle goes right on through the fiberglass skin, very bad.

Reactions: wils and bus kid
Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
Sent e-mail to Mike at Socal Surveys, I was just curious to see what people know about it. Thanks.

they tap the fiberglass with the blunt end of a screwdriver handle. You can tell a lot by the sound. Sharp ring is good. Dead flat sound is bad. If the handle goes right on through the fiberglass skin, very bad.

Hey that's how I did it! I'm a surveyor now ?????

Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
If you can find one that has a infrared camera, that would be the ticket.
Pretty sure I have read about surveyors in Florida using them.
Don't know if the guys out here are using them yet.

Upvote 0

Randy V

Slamma Jamma
Mar 19, 2008
Insane Diego, CA
Name
Randy
Boat
30' Kona Star
If you plan on financin g the boat the bank will most likely require a marine survey.

The big advantage of having a pre-purchase survey done is the ability to use the documented survey results to negotiate a final (lower) selling price.

Upvote 0

dragonballs

I'm off probation
  • Mar 28, 2008
    Arlington WA
    Name
    Vance
    Boat
    40' ocean sport fisher
    be sure to test all systems.. this may require the boat being put in the water if it is not

Upvote 0