March 6, 2011 Lahaina Harbor, Maui

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Startmeup, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Aloha from Lahaina Harbor. The fishing is still good on the leeward side of Maui. The striped marlin run has been going for almost a month strong now and is showing no signs of slowing down. As usual, there are quite a few mahis and tunas being caught as well. Start Me Up has recently taken out several first time anglers that caught fish. We’re always happy when we can share the thrill of fishing with first timers. In other positive news, we have been able to release a majority of our striped marlin catch. Sometimes the fish are unhealthy after the fight or the anglers choose to keep the fish for consumption, but Start Me Up has opted to release billfish whenever possible because we would like to see the ocean’s resources maintained for the future. If anyone has questions, call Start Me Up’s booth at Lahaina Harbor at 808-667-7879 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Hawaii time or email [email protected]. Start Me Up’s anglers and some of their catch for the beginning of March are pictured below.

[​IMG]
    Matt Stewart, Dan Kobi, and Dave Milmine had plenty of action behind Lanai. They caught and released two striped marlin and one shortbill spearfish. If they had only traded in a striped marlin for a blue marlin, these anglers would have completed the Hawaiian billfish slam. As an added bonus, they caught two mahis for the barbeque.
    [​IMG]
    Jordan Quayle did a short afternoon trip and came across this mahi at the inside pinnacle called secret spot. As a first time offshore angler, Jordan was very proud of her catch.
    [​IMG]
    Tony and Kelly Pawlisz, Joel Sobol, Jeff Goldsmith, and Brian Henry had an incredible day on the water. They caught a mahi and five striped marlin, three of which were released. Unfortunately, two of the striped marlin were foul hooked and in no fit state to be released. The fish did not go to waste though since they were consumed as sashimi and cooked fillets. These anglers definitely had a fun time trolling the deep waters on the backside of Lanai.
    [​IMG]
    This striped marlin was one of those that was not foul hooked. The hookup was solid as the trailing hook went cleanly through the fish’s lower jaw. The striped marlin was tagged, the hook was removed, and the fish was successfully released.
    [​IMG]
    Tony, Kelly, Joel, Jeff, and Brian summed up their day by flying flags on the outriggers. The anglers did so well that there were not enough marlin flags on the boat for all of the bragging rights to be displayed. Tony, Kelly, Joel, Jeff, and Brian enjoyed an overall great day of fishing.
    [​IMG]
    Rich Davidson, Harold Sigfusson, Dave McLachlan, and Mark Gerhard were all smiles after they each landed a shibi while trolling the deep water behind Lanai. These anglers knew that they were going to enjoy some good sashimi.
    [​IMG]
    Ben Ayton fought his striped marlin to the boat and decided to release the fish. The clean release continued a good streak for Start Me Up, with far more billfish being released than kept for consumption.
    [​IMG]
    Mitch and Kathy McGaughey, visiting from Colorado, somehow managed to avoid all of the marlin activity. They caught fish anyway as they went two for two on mahis.
    [​IMG]
    Alan Birnie had a group looking forward to some his fish so, as he requested, his striped marlin was boated. The fish struck a trolled lure east of the Lanai lighthouse.
    [​IMG]
    These three lucky anglers had a wonderful time on their four hour afternoon trip and found a few fish as well. They caught a couple of mahis in addition to a very nice aku. If the mahis were equivalent to the aku, they would be pair of forty pounders.
    [​IMG]
    Lorraine Vanduker and her husband opted to sleep in and do a short midmorning trip. Leaving later was no big deal as they caught and released a striped marlin.
    [​IMG]
    This mahi cooperated for Dan Day on an afternoon trip and bit a general jet. The fish surely provided a nice meal for Dan and his family.
    [​IMG]
    Todd Baraniak and David Seneker were determined to catch a billfish so they went out and did just that. Both Todd and David described catching this striped marlin as an experience of a lifetime.
    [​IMG]
    With all of the striped marlin around Lanai, most boats have not been fishing around Kahoolawe. Mike and Louise Duboise, Mickey Bigalke, and Bill Taylor decided to break the trend and fished the shoals of Kahoolawe. They came up with a pair of mahis.
    [​IMG]
    Shane and Brent Davis and Aaron Tenim caught a couple of striped marlin. Aaron’s striped marlin was released and the other fish, which was not healthy after the fight, was kept for consumption.
    [​IMG]
    Mary Ann Sabino caught a shibi just south of Olowalu. She was pretty happy about getting some sashimi.
    [​IMG]
    Kevin Zimmerman boated a 25 lb. ono while trolling. Even though the ono’s torpedo-like body allows the fish to reach great speeds, Kevin was still surprised at how fast the line came off the reel.
    [​IMG]
    These anglers tried marlin fishing for the first time and loved the experience. Kim Williams caught a striped marlin near the Lanai lighthouse and Jamelle and Steve Foster landed two mahis in the same area.
    [​IMG]
    Jane Wiehe from Fort Wayne, Indiana boated a mahi on an afternoon trip. Jane was all smiles after catching the first fish of her life. That’s a great catch for a first time angler. Now that she has experienced the thrill of catching a fish, Jane will certainly take more interest in fishing.
    [​IMG]
    David and Joni Cover had a nice day on the water and caught three mahis. They said that their trip was a great experience and that they would fish again.
    [​IMG]
    Austin Larison caught a nice 20 lb. cow mahi that was nearly as big as him. Austin’s catch is truly impressive. Way to go Austin! Keith Lewell also had a nice catch as he tagged and released a striped marlin. Catching a billfish is always an accomplishment.
    [​IMG]
    Tony Lisbona and Petro Zakyrias came to Maui all the way from Australia. They caught these two mahis between a couple of billfish bites. Catching the mahis definitely lessened the sting of missing the billfish. Plus there’s always next time to catch the one that got away.
    [​IMG]
    Sandy and Bill Lafluer had a honeymoon trip to remember, catching a striped marlin and a mahi. Congratulations to Sandy and Bill on the wedding and the catch.
    [​IMG]
    Torrey Knorr, a veteran lieutenant fireman from Washington state, was not able to relax much on his fishing trip. He did Start Me Up’s early trip and left Lahaina Harbor at 2:30 a.m. The boat headed to N buoy on the north shore of Molokai and, upon reaching the destination, proceeded to hook fish after fish on a combination of lures and bait. Torrey proved that he was tough by fighting all of these mahis and shibis on standup gear. Good job Torrey!

Thanks for taking a look at the report. If there are any questions, remember to call Deli in Start Me Up’s booth at 808-667-7879 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Hawaii time or email [email protected]. Until the next report, tight lines.

Aloha,
    Jonny

2. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Nice work guys.

3. grander007

grander007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    nice going...but I wish you guys would not release so many stripeys and donate them to the local food bank instead

tight lines,

4. Startmeup

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Grander,

It's funny you should mention that. We have actually donated fresh fish to the Boys and Girls Club of Maui and a local home for senior citizens.

Jonny

5. Lady Nolee

Lady Nolee Newbie

Name:
    Jenson
    Boat:
    22', Hawaiian Hawk, Lady Nolee
    Great job Capt. Glad to see you guys are releasing the small stripeys. At the block you find all those little guys about 20 pounds and they selling them for 10 cents a pound. No sense keep a fish like that unless you going eat um. Tight lines, J

6. popoki

popoki Newbie

Name:
    Quintin
    Boat:
    "Ho'oKele" 26 Alii Kai
    I gotta ask Skipper, you guys every come across a fish you already tagged? i only ask because your catch rate is pretty damn awesome.

7. grander007

grander007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    Right on! I was just kidding cause those CA fools gave us such a hard time re the pics...

Tight lines,

8. Startmeup

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    About 10 years ago I caught a blue marlin that had been taged in the same area behind Lani by my friend Capt. Alan Abdill. It was estamated 150# when taged and weighed 202# when caught 18 months later. Thanks for your BD support.Doug

9. Startmeup

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing

10. roosterman9

roosterman9 Misplaced Salt

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    16 ft Lowe
    :rofl: Love it, beat them to it.

11. brantc

brantc Ranchero

Name:
    Brant
    Boat:
    whichever one will have me
    Nice work SMU.

Always great to get first timer's on fish. WTG.