March 30, 2013 Lahaina Harbor, Maui, Hawaii

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Startmeup, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Aloha from Lahaina Harbor, Maui, Hawaii. The fish aggregating devices (FADs) are not consistently holding fish so the buoy bite has really slowed down. On a good day, any given buoy might have a few mahimahis. Fortunately, the trolling bite has been relatively steady. Dragging lures is currently producing mahis and a couple of signs that summer might be approaching. The blue marlin bite is decent and onos are shredding a few skirts. The photos below depict of Start Me Up's anglers and their catch in March.

[​IMG]
    Ricky and Kaleb Walters shared the catch of a lifetime, a 536 lb blue marlin. The fish bill-whacked a 12 inch Coggin lure and got snagged. The anglers kept the line tight, ensuring that the hooks stayed put. In accordance with Start Me Up's policy for fish over 500 lbs, the trip was free and a $300 donation was made to a local charity. That's a great day of fishing.
    [​IMG]
    A couple at the buoy and then four more on the troll. A nice blue marlin also obliterated the Marlin Magic Ruckus running on the short corner.
    [​IMG]
    Chris Suarez has gone out with Start Me Up on three separate occasions and had fun each time. A nice 25 lb cow mahi made his day.
    [​IMG]
    A 33 lb shortbill spearfish is slightly larger than average size for the species.
    [​IMG]
    A massive bird pile yielded some mahis and akus.
    [​IMG]
    Live bait did the trick on these finicky mahis.
    [​IMG]
    Circumnavigating the island of Kahoolawe produced a mixed bag of fish.
    [​IMG]
    A nice stringer of mahis and tunas at the buoy was a pleasant surprise.
    [​IMG]
    These lucky anglers found a couple of cow mahis while trolling.
    [​IMG]
    Without warning, line simultaneously started peeling off two reels and James Calcavecchia found himself in a challenging situation. James stayed calm and put both yellowfin tuna on the deck. One of the tunas broke the 100 lb mark, meaning that James caught a coveted ahi.
    [​IMG]
    Here's James finishing off his second, larger tuna.
    [​IMG]
    Who wouldn't have a smile on their face after catching three mahis, including a nice one?
    [​IMG]
    The Kihei boys always bring their luck when they go fishing.
    [​IMG]
    The hottest lure of the day had three bites and four hookups, catching two mahis and a deckhand. The shortbill spearfish that grabbed the lure came off halfway to the boat.
    [​IMG]
    Those two mahis are polar opposites.
    [​IMG]
    A double kawakawa bite put the finishing touches on an enjoyable day that included substantial bottom fishing time.
    [​IMG]
    This mahi saved the day, biting at the very end of an otherwise uneventful trip. Quality fish really can be caught right in front of the harbor.
    [​IMG]
    A Seaducer lure skirted in root beer colors was the hot ticket. All three fish bit that lure, along with a monster 50 lb mahi that got away.
    [​IMG]
    These guys were thrilled with their five mahis. They might have been even happier if their blue marlin didn't get way.
    [​IMG]
    The Start Me Up Cuz always looks good, but the boat looks even better with some fish on the back deck.
    [​IMG]
    Tom Raymond caught his 277 lb blue marlin on a Pakula Sprocket. The fish came up in 200 fathoms of water off Kahoolawe's twin sands.

These kids proved that young anglers can go out and slay mahis.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wahine anglers get the job done too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for taking a look at this Start Me Up fishing report. Until next time, tight lines.

Aloha,
    Jonny

2. conor

conor Member

Name:
    Ohana o Kai
    Boat:
    20 ft. Pioneer
    Good catches!

3. Leapingbare

Leapingbare Newbie

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    Yellow kayak
    Killin it!

4. shadzdad

shadzdad Newbie

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    building one
    Great report, you guys are always on the fish. Hope the deckhand wasn't too badly hooked.

5. Startmeup

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Thanks, we do what we can to catch 'em. The deckhand (me) is fine, just going to have a stiff, sore finger for a while.

Jonny

6. LundieF

LundieF Member

Name:
    Lundie
    Boat:
    20' Shamrock WA, Maka 'oi 'oi II
    Uncle Lou knows what he's doing. What head was it?

7. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Nice work guys. Lots of smiles.

8. Startmeup

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    I'm not sure what the head is called, but it's a 7-inch bait with a slanted face and four jets.