yakmandan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
I'm looking for a family friendly 1.5 day trip in early March to take my daughter on. She is 10 she's been fishing Baja with me since she was old enough to hold a rod. But she's never been on an overnight boat. I promised her when she turned 10 I'd take her. I figured a 1.5 day fishing Colonet for rockfish would be a good place to start.
I've been looking but most of the boats I've fished on don't have anything scheduled in March.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Pick one of the L.R Boats that do 1.5 days and break her in right. You can't go wrong. If you pick a 1.5 day boat with bunks, O.K food and lots of people crammed on the boat, She may not like that and not wanting to go again.

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
What ever boat we go on will have to have state rooms. I don't think she'd be ok with a bunk room. I've been on a few of the LR boats but can't find one that has anything going out in March for 1.5 days.

alex91950

Aug 3, 2013
San Diego
Name
Alejandro
Boat
20’ CC GW
I have taken my daughter since she was 8, we have done a couple of 1.5 days, my boat of choice is the liberty, they have bunks, what I do I pick 2 in the bottom across from each other so I can keep an eye on her, the crew will watch her too and they take care of her, we had never had an issue.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I'm looking for a family friendly 1.5 day trip in early March to take my daughter on. She is 10 she's been fishing Baja with me since she was old enough to hold a rod. But she's never been on an overnight boat. I promised her when she turned 10 I'd take her. I figured a 1.5 day fishing Colonet for rockfish would be a good place to start.
I've been looking but most of the boats I've fished on don't have anything scheduled in March.
its not March , but at the end of February the Relentless has
A 1 1/2 day and they have staterooms ,
and only take 20,its worth A look

Reactions: robaire

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
I saw that but my daughter doesn't get out of school for spring break until the first week of March
Most of the LE boats have nothing scheduled for March

esgeo

over 40 victim of fate
Feb 12, 2015
Tulsa, OK
Name
Eric
Boat
Feelfree Lure 11.5
The Fortune runs occasional spring 1.5 day trips to the islands from San Pedro. Not sure if they run them in March (schedule not out yet), but I’ve enjoyed that boat quite a bit, and they are pretty dialed on islands fishing.

Sorry I didn’t see the bit about staterooms. I believe that boat is all open berths unfortunately.

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
Its needs to be out of San Diego hopefully one of the Long Range boats

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
I was just on their site didn't see anything in March on the schedule.

Depresfish

Electric Fly Hunter
Apr 16, 2018
San Clemente
Name
Dylan
Boat
none
But she's never been on an overnight boat. I promised her when she turned 10 I'd take her. I figured a 1.5 day fishing Colonet for rockfish would be a good place to start.
Maybe worth considering doing an overnight first before 1.5day? Those trips may be pretty intense and long for her if you're fishing all day.

The rockfishing on March overnights at the outer islands out of OC/LA/VTA will also probably be just as good Colonet

Reactions: esgeo

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
I've been on tuns of overnight trips and a Shit load of 1.5, 2.5 day trips and longer ones too. I know what to expect and what she can handle. She's caught Halibut in Alaska yellowtail in Baja Her mother will be going too so when she gets tired of fishing she can just hang out.
A 1.5 day trip to Colonet in March is a pretty mellow trip. Been my experience that the overnight and 3/4 day trips usually have more idiots and crappier boats and crappier food. She's not ready for a summer/fall tuna trip yet. They can be intense.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I've been on tuns of overnight trips and a Shit load of 1.5, 2.5 day trips and longer ones too. I know what to expect and what she can handle. She's caught Halibut in Alaska yellowtail in Baja Her mother will be going too so when she gets tired of fishing she can just hang out.
A 1.5 day trip to Colonet in March is a pretty mellow trip. Been my experience that the overnight and 3/4 day trips usually have more idiots and crappier boats and crappier food. She's not ready for a summer/fall tuna trip yet. They can be intense.
You hit the nail right on the the head about certain 3/4 and overnight boats about More Idiots, Shitty food, crappy food and don't forget about the stinky bathrooms and bunk rooms that smell like someone died in them!!! Don't get me wrong there's a few decent overnight boats, but few and far between. If all possible stick with the L.R. Boats, Even on their short runs. She will have a great experience even if fishing is not so good.

Pescador7

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 26, 2011
san juan capistrano,CA
Name
Robert
Boat
Pac Queen
The Pacific Queen out of Fishermans Landing has a colonet trip going out at the end of February from Friday night to Sunday. It also has two state rooms at the stern. Great crew and food. Seems like what your looking for.

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
PQ has nothing scheduled for March if they did I never would have started this thread. I've been on the PQ more times than I can count. It is my go to for 1.5 & 2.5 day trips. Trips sell out fast on it during tuna season for a reason.
Seems a lot of the LR boats don't schedule anything for March and use that time for boat maintenance. I have seen some 1.5 and 3 day trips come up in March that weren't on the schedule until last minute. So Ill keep checking. If anyone sees something come up please let me know.

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
just my two cents I have taken my 4 sons on many over night and muliti day trips. At 10 she is better on a local over night maybe out of Ventura to the channel islands. Colonet can be tough with the wind and current not to mention fishing up to 600 ft. My last trip to Colonet on the Oddessy there was a young man about 11 fishing hard but when we got to 400 ft he had trouble with the drift and controlling the line. I fish the new hustler out of Ventura harbor sport fishing. They have open over night 20 people nice bunks food okay boat is clean the capt and crew are friendly and helpful. If you fish the channel islands and the wind picks up you can move into the island and fish shallow water whitefish, sheepshead and bass. You are doing a great thing there Dad. Good Luck

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
If the fishing gets too hard shell find something else to do. My wife will be there too she has been on 1.5 ,2.5 and 3.5 day trips she doesn't fish the whole time but she catches fish when she wants to. My daughter and her will do just fine.

MattFred1414

Jan 3, 2020
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
17ft Pro Steelheader
I just got back from the Ocean Odessy colonet 1.75 day trip and it was a lot of fun. I definitely recommend it. Just be prepared to reel. They fish deep.

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
Decided to jump on the Pacific Queen at the end of February 1.5 day Friday the 26th 7pm to Sunday morning.
We decided to go to San Quintin in March when my daughter is out of school for a week

Reactions: jer dog