skrilla

allirks
  • May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo
    Drag, pull, scratch... just don't mix it!

Manipulated vs Applied
    20210331_151556.jpg

To keep colors from bleeding or mixing together I wait awhile for the epoxy to thicken.
    20210331_151812.jpg

Here it is after a quick sweep with the heat gun. I do this to release bubbles. Too much heat can loosen up the viscosity level of the epoxy and may ruin your work. Hint: no one will notice anyway except for me and maybe 2 other people.
    20210331_151849.jpg

Just incase you missed it, here it is on a guide base wrap.
    20210331_152014.jpg

Tip: level down the high spots.
    20210331_152108.jpg

Lateral epoxy application over long wraps, trust me.
    20210403_080142.jpg

This is why we level down the high spots. Smooth even coats. I didn't even charge extra.
    20210403_080227.jpg

Now grab 3 salsa cups and go make a mess.

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Beautiful... with great attention to detail my brother. Would be proud to show and own that stick. Great pictures always help and yours did justice to your work. Nice job!

Reactions: skrilla

carnage007

May 9, 2004
    Encino
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    to poor
    @skrilla looks awesome, do you use a pick to drag out the pigmented epoxy then hit it with heat once it has turned/thickened up? Do you Level down high spots with the lateral application or another technique? I have struggled with leveling and had to build up resin then sand down and repeat on my marbles.

Thanks

skrilla

allirks
  • May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo
    Incredible! Thanks for the tips. Are you using the pigment powders or pre-mixed?

Thanks!

For this I used Testors in Enamel Metallic Silver, Acrylic Gloss White, and Acrylic Teal Gloss . I added a small pinch of Pearl Ex Macropearl to the white and teal for a little pop. Under the sun it really shines.

@skrilla looks awesome, do you use a pick to drag out the pigmented epoxy then hit it with heat once it has turned/thickened up? Do you Level down high spots with the lateral application or another technique? I have struggled with leveling and had to build up resin then sand down and repeat on my marbles.

Thanks

Thanks!

I use toothpicks. I kiss it with heat at the end before mounting it in the dryer.

The high spots I'm talking about are the globs you make when first applying the colored epoxy. I drag from the middle of the glob outwards. This also helps prevent the globs from making "footballs" while turning on the dryer.

The following coats of clear I apply laterally for basewraps. Between the guide feet I brush laterally. Over the guide feet I find it uneccessary and apply under power. Reason is epoxy will flow downhill from the top of the guide foot towards the ends of the wrap.

Try applying smaller globs but more of them for equal coverage. Smaller globs make shorter high spots. This should set up your follow up coats for a more smoother and even finish.

mulleteyerods

Sep 6, 2020
    Australia
    Name
    AJP
    Boat
    13ft tinny
    Looks unreal mate. I haven’t used the testors pigments yet only the crb pigment powders. They tend not to mix with other colours - it’s like they’re suspended in the epoxy. Get some great results. It’s addictive