I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 27, 2009
Temecula CA USA!
www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
Name
Johnny Garrison
Boat
Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
"And here is a pic of a White Shark I caught from my boat in the early 90's just offshore of the MB pier. So these fish have always been there............."

Randall: Just curious, how did it taste? Please don't say it was a lot like Garabaldi. I have wondered if great white was any good on the BBQ.

Upvote 0

Xlobsterman

Oct 20, 2003
Maine
www.xlobsterman.com
Name
Randall Holman
Boat
19ft Seabreese Center Console
"And here is a pic of a White Shark I caught from my boat in the early 90's just offshore of the MB pier. So these fish have always been there............."

Randall: Just curious, how did it taste? Please don't say it was a lot like Garabaldi. I have wondered if great white was any good on the BBQ.

John, the fish tasted great on the BBQ. Just as good as Mako & Thresher! BTW, I caught that fish BEFORE the DFG put the zero take on White Sharks in 1994!

Upvote 0

Xlobsterman

Oct 20, 2003
Maine
www.xlobsterman.com
Name
Randall Holman
Boat
Reactions: CHADDY
Upvote 0

makohead1

Almost A Member
Nov 23, 2011
Vista Ca U.S.
Name
Ty
Boat
dreamchaser
do you know when the specified pupping season in the area of manhattan beach pier is, counselor? or....in any area for that matter
I`m pretty sure, may be wrong. Pupping season for our whities is late june-early july thru September. That's when the bigger females are pupping around kelp beds and reefs and other fishy areas like piers. Mom scopes out the area to make sure junior can eat right when he pops. They get territorial after pupping. One theory I read on that fatal attack on the swimmer in Encinitas at tabletops was that it was a territorial attack, He was bitten 5 times aggressively without being eaten. Big shark. Mom was protecting her pups feeding grounds.

The pups stay and eat fish, Mom digs out after a little while. When the pups, (all the juveniles around right now) graduate to eating mammals they move on. Most data indicates the bigger ones are Nomads and move around a lot over long distances. ... But they`re not at the top of the food chain as you would think, There`s a pod of killer whales that feeds on big whites along one of their migration routes. Now that's something I hope I get to see sometime. From my couch. All snuggled up with a beer.

Upvote 0

Sgtsilbaugh

"Keep calm and.........FISH ON!!!!"
Apr 14, 2014
Brea
Name
Kevin
Boat
qajaq
Wouldn't 100 fishermen all using bait at the same time be the same as one guy chumming?

Exactly! So would dropping a hoop net off the pier with a bait cage filled with freshly caught, bloody chunks of mackerel be considered chumming, even though I'm trying to catch lobster/crab?? Because the first time I did that, I had a 7 ft thresher circling right over my net!!! And swimmers no more than 25 yards away from the pier. I warned them, but I don't think there's much concern with a thresher since their mouths are so small. Later that morning another fisherman hooked the shark and lost it. Nobody hurt, shark now gone.

Upvote 0

CHADDY

Cal
Jul 20, 2006
So Cal
Name
Cal
Boat
17' Boston Whaler - SOLD IT
Looks like H&M in the background not HB.......

"Here is a pic of a 30lb halibut I caught on the HB pier in 1977, to this day, this is the largest halibut I have ever caught, and I have caught hundreds of them over the years!"

Upvote 0

tommytwang

Oct 24, 2012
san pedro, california, usa
Name
tom ivicevich
Boat
osprey
The Manhattan Beach City Council will meet this tuesday, July 15, and will discuss permanently banning fishing on the pier in the wake of the recent great white shark attack on a swimmer. It was an unfortunate freak accident that could have been prevented. However, the city council will attempt to ban fishing from it''s pier. That action is in direct conflict with the constitution of the State of California, which states that no one may prohibit the rights of fishermen to fish on public waters. If you can, try to make the meeting. It is at 6:00 PM at the city hall council chambers at 1400 Highland Ave. Manhattan Beach. Their phone number is 310 802 5000.

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE 1 DECLARATION OF RIGHTS
Section 25. The people shall have the right to fish upon and from
the public lands of the State and in the waters thereof, excepting
upon lands set aside for fish hatcheries, and no land owned by the
State shall ever be sold or transferred without reserving in the
people the absolute right to fish thereupon; and no law shall ever be
passed making it a crime for the people to enter upon the public
lands within this State for the purpose of fishing in any water
containing fish that have been planted therein by the State;
provided, that the legislature may by statute, provide for the season
when and the conditions under which the different species of fish
may be taken.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    If that's the case they should have fishing days and swimming day
    You don't feel that swimming in the ocean is something you do at your own risk?

We better put up warning signs :zelfmoord

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
    Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff

No shit, is there no more personal responsibility anymore? What a bunch of robots.

Upvote 0

Bada Bing

Instigator General
    Apr 30, 2003
    PB, CA
    Name
    JMH
    Boat
    Always a good one

Right, and the damn swimmers got other safety measures we're payin' for, what do you think life guards are for? :D

Kinda like bicycle bitches got more right to the road than vehicles (which the roads were built for :rolleyes:)

Reactions: reel loco
    Upvote 0

Ful-Rac

Team Sewer!
    Aug 13, 2007
    Buena Park
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Kayak

Sheeeit! We got warning signs on everything else why not the ocean?

"Enter the ocean at your own risk!"

Upvote 0

dorado50

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 5, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    DAVID
    Boat
    BERTRAM / EDGEWATER
    did not know that banning pier fishing would halt shark attacks on swimmers around the pier? those liberals are so smart.......why don't conservatives think of these things?

Upvote 0

BiggestT

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Sep 8, 2004
    Fullerton
    Name
    SM
    Boat
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Looking at this from a legal perspective, the City of Manhattan Beach owns the pier, so they can do what they choose in regards to activities on it and banning fishing will not be in violation of the State Constitution. Surf fishing is a different matter as the coast line is controlled by the State.

Carry on.

Upvote 0

Xlobsterman

Oct 20, 2003
    Maine
    www.xlobsterman.com
    Name
    Randall Holman
    Boat
    Looks like H&M in the background not HB.......

"Here is a pic of a 30lb halibut I caught on the HB pier in 1977, to this day, this is the largest halibut I have ever caught, and I have caught hundreds of them over the years!"

That pic was taken in front of the old Hermosa Tackle Box store owned by Jerry Morris. Keith Morris, Jerry's son & lead singer of the punk band Circle Jerks, took the pic!

10547602_10152152772696345_4219122488577718623_n.jpg

Reactions: alex88
    Upvote 0