kindafishy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
Those of us in the age group that don't need a card until 2025 might consider getting it sooner rather than later.You know that price is only going to go up when the state realizes they can screw us a little harder for another buck or two.
i'll bet money it does not last as a "lifetime" thing. they will implement renewal fees for sure.

Reactions: stairman

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Another tax on recreation.

I’m not against training & education but at 50 I don’t need a course on safety or navigation so it is only a tax. Thanks Jerry you communist a hole.
I'm surprised you got away with saying that.

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
Reactions: marlyn and Hoopnet

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
^^^^thanks for the laugh!!! got a few things going on right now and that felt good! thank's!

Reactions: Capt.C.Delany

jbarto

Jul 15, 2005
Hayden, ID
Name
Jon
Boat
I wonder how many members of the California Assembly actually own a boat or any watercraft for that matter.
I received my cellphone bill earlier today, there are nine taxes on it, disguised as fees and sur-charges.
Will this ever stop, the solution to every problem in Sacramento is another tax.
Unfortunately it will never stop with liberals behind the wheel in Sacramento. I can't understand why people keep electing them into office. I feel for you guys.

Reactions: Hoopnet and marlyn

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
Jun 22, 2014
No Grave But the Sea
Name
Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
Boat
Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
This is kind of off topic but I will never forget this article I read from 2011. It was about removing the zeros from the national budget... Its absolutley mind blowing if you and I lived, nay, attempted to live like this.

Article:
The Gainesville Tea Party seems to have the right idea: They take some of our key economic numbers — how much money the U.S. government brings in, how much it spends, and how much brave politicians are “cutting” to bring those numbers into balance — and simply lop off eight zeros (i.e., divide by 100 million) to make those numbers something that American families can relate to:

Why S&P Downgraded the US:
U.S. Tax revenue: $2,170,000,000,000
Federal budget: $3,820,000,000,000
New debt: $ 1,650,000,000,000
National debt: $14,271,000,000,000
Recent [April] budget cut: $ 38,500,000,000

Let’s remove 8 zeros and pretend it’s a household budget:
Annual family income: $21,700
Money the family spent: $38,200
New debt on the credit card: $16,500
Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710
Budget cuts: $385

I found this eye-opening. It’s harder to pretend that Washington leadership is serious about restoring fiscal sanity when their budget cuts are seen in this context.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/277873

Reactions: landman

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
yea, max $10 for the card, but looks like $24.95 to $29.95 to take course, depends on with one you pick
or "none"

Get out from behind the computer and take a live course. Comparing tales with other boaters is always fun, enjoyable, and - many times - educational.

In Oregon, the Sheriffs Dept holds the classes. I got my instructor pissed at me when I talked about real life scenarios that weren't covered by his text book. :D

Our cards are for lifetime

Reactions: Carpfisher

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
That was my first thought as well...

Below is their explanation:

California State Parks Division of Boating and Waterways (DBW) is implementing the California Vessel Operator Card law as it is written. Many rental facilities provide basic boater safety information to operators. DBW encourages all boat operators to take an approved boating safety course and apply for a California Boater Card.

The requirement for California boaters to obtain this card happened through the state legislative process. The bill that created the California Boater Card, SB 941 (Chapter 433, Statutes of 2014), went through a number of changes as it moved through the California Legislature.

For example, earlier versions of the bill did include a requirement for a boater card for rentals. However, in June 2014, when the bill was heard in the Assembly Transportation Committee, the Committee analysis recommended removing the card requirement for rentals, and noted the following points:

• According to 2013 California Recreational Boating Accident Statistics, of all the vessel accidents that occurred in the state that year, only 9% involved rental vessels.
  • The boating industry indicated that rental agents generally provide boater safety training as part of the rental process.
  • The California Yacht Brokers Association, the Marina Recreation Association, the National Marine Manufacturers Association, and the Western Boater’s Safety Group, supported the bill stating, “The bill strikes a good balance between ensuring that vessel operators are sufficiently educated on boating safety and vessel operation without imposing an excessive burden that would serve as a barrier to operating a vessel.”
The author accepted this recommended amendment, and on June 18, 2014 the next version of the bill provided an exemption for individuals renting vessels.
What % of the available rental vessel fleet was involved in accidents?

stanky1

Sep 11, 2009
Carlsbad
Name
Squid Mark
Boat
Scout 175 Sportfish
I object to the California boater cards because they contain materials known to cause cancer by the State of California.

Reactions: eddie8157

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
In your eyes, paying $50 max and taking a day or two course is a "tax scam" by the state that won't increase safety. Yet you want people to be required by that same state to pay thousands, take a minimum of a week or two of courses and appointments to gather necessary training and credentials(classroom training, TWIC card, CPR and first aid, and have a medical physical), and gather 500+ hours of sea time and think that is the better option?

I agree, those that pass through all that will most likely be better skippers but is it really necessary for those that go out maybe a few times a year for personal use?

Do you want all drivers to pass all training and have all the credentials of a truck driver or bus driver?

Personally, I'm glad there is some sort of training required and really glad I went through it. Some of the comments I see on this and other forums in regards to accidents highlights how little people actually know of their legal responsibilities at sea for safe operation. But that's just my two cents.
We have had them for years in Washington. Just take the test and be done with it.
you two are like two guys getting raped in prison and one says to the other relax it wont hurt so bad

Reel 007

Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
We have had them for years in Washington. Just take the test and be done with it.
Are there any conclusive proof that the implementation reduced accidents?.

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
According to California law, the following persons will not be required to have a boater card to operate any motorized vessel on California waterways when the requirements go into effect beginning in January 2018:

• A person operating a rental vessel.
    Anybody else see a problem with this exemption ?
    That was my first thought as well...

Below is their explanation:

California State Parks Division of Boating and Waterways (DBW) is implementing the California Vessel Operator Card law as it is written. Many rental facilities provide basic boater safety information to operators. DBW encourages all boat operators to take an approved boating safety course and apply for a California Boater Card.

The requirement for California boaters to obtain this card happened through the state legislative process. The bill that created the California Boater Card, SB 941 (Chapter 433, Statutes of 2014), went through a number of changes as it moved through the California Legislature.

For example, earlier versions of the bill did include a requirement for a boater card for rentals. However, in June 2014, when the bill was heard in the Assembly Transportation Committee, the Committee analysis recommended removing the card requirement for rentals, and noted the following points:

• According to 2013 California Recreational Boating Accident Statistics, of all the vessel accidents that occurred in the state that year, only 9% involved rental vessels.
    • The boating industry indicated that rental agents generally provide boater safety training as part of the rental process.
    • The California Yacht Brokers Association, the Marina Recreation Association, the National Marine Manufacturers Association, and the Western Boater’s Safety Group, supported the bill stating, “The bill strikes a good balance between ensuring that vessel operators are sufficiently educated on boating safety and vessel operation without imposing an excessive burden that would serve as a barrier to operating a vessel.”
    The author accepted this recommended amendment, and on June 18, 2014 the next version of the bill provided an exemption for individuals renting vessels.
    /

They lobbied hard. Safety trained my ass! Ever see the rental sailboats coming in on Mission Bay? or jet ski's? OMG! be afraid be very very afraid!

Done_Deal

Sep 10, 2004
Santa Monica
mysite.verizon.net
Name
Joe
Boat
19' Home Built
yea, max $10 for the card, but looks like $24.95 to $29.95 to take course, depends on with one you pick
The course is not mandatory. I just took the exam. Very basic knowledge required. If you can't pass it you probably should not be out there in any event.

TopMpg

Dec 29, 2006
Central Coast
Name
Unknown
Boat
Never Again
Our politicians lay awake at night thinking of new ways to increase taxes and fees on us. What will they do once all of the workers and businesses move out of the state and they are left with only takers and government employees to support the slackers?

fredycruz

Aug 7, 2012
San Diego
Name
alfredo
Boat
none
My thought process is that many people benefit from knowing the things covered in the test. But does it really cost $50 a head to issue the card? No. If it were actually about safety and the sole intent. It would cost $5 to take the test and be issued a card if you passed. I love living in California but this is just a money grab like the bs Safety for all bs that passed 4yrs ago. Any one know where the revenue from this will go?

alex88

May 15, 2006
Oakland
Name
Alex
Boat
2003 Robalo R235
My thought process is that many people benefit from knowing the things covered in the test. But does it really cost $50 a head to issue the card? No. If it were actually about safety and the sole intent. It would cost $5 to take the test and be issued a card if you passed. I love living in California but this is just a money grab like the bs Safety for all bs that passed 4yrs ago. Any one know where the revenue from this will go?
The state isn’t charging $50, it’s charging $10. The other money is from businesses charging for the course. Or you can do the smart thing, take the free Boat US course and just pay the $10 and never worry about it again.

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
Nov 28, 2015
Tustin
Name
Croaker
Boat
Arima Sea Pacer
I am old and don’t need a card for a long, long time. But I took the test anyway. The total cost is $10.

Sorry. I think it is good.

After hearing about a guy who got caught in the surf off Sunset Beach and overturning his brand new Bayliner and killing his wife and three kids....I could never understand how someone could buy a huge boat and they would just hand them the keys without having the slightest clue how to operate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: jer dog