K.W.

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 23, 2005
L.A.
Name
KW
Boat
S.S. Minnow
Only those who are 20 and under are required to have a card?

noslow64

Apr 1, 2015
La Mesa
Name
Derek
Boat
sold it
Only those who are 20 and under are required to have a card?
  • January 1, 2018 – Persons 20 years of age or younger
  • January 1, 2019 – Persons 25 years of age or younger
  • January 1, 2020 – Persons 35 years of age or younger
  • January 1, 2021 – Persons 40 years of age or younger
  • January 1, 2022 – Persons 45 years of age or younger
  • January 1, 2023 – Persons 50 years of age or younger
  • January 1, 2024 – Persons 60 years of age or younger
  • January 1, 2025 – All persons regardless of age

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
one thing I don't see addressed in the FAQ's is how often a card holder is required take some kind of refresher course.

that concerns me, especially for those who only run their boats on holiday weekends..... :rolleyes:

Reel 007

Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
If you have a CG 100 tons license do you still need a boaters card?.

Reactions: stairman

Hoopnet

<°)))))><
Dec 12, 2013
<°)))))><
Name
<°)))))><
Boat
<°)))))><
Just another tax scam by the state... Just like the gasoline taxes, vehicle registration fees and all the other BS extortion taxes by these crooks in SacraMoscow. If these clowns wanted to implement real “safety” then they should make every boater get their USCG captains license (***“IF SAFETY” was truly their concern***). This is just another tax scam by the crooked politicians of this state.

Also, you guys that say; No big deal it’s just a one time fee! blah, blah, blah.... OH REALLY!? You guys ever heard of the California “HSC” (Handgun safety card)??? That use be called the “BHSC” (Basic Handgun Saftey Card that was suppose to be good for “LIFE”) that card and program was wiped out and became the “HSC” and then you had to pay another $15 cause the old BHSC that was “suppose” to be good for “LIFE” was no longer good so then the HSC program became $15 for a 5 year expiration date.... GUESS WHAT!? That program was wiped out as well and is NOW called the “FSC” (Firearms Safety Card) that you have to pay another $15 per couple years because the “HSC” is no longer good! These cards DO NOT make anyone safer while handling firearms (I personally know this because I was a State DOJ certified instructor) , it’s a crock of shit! LOL When and where will these crooks stop at???

NOW DO YOU GET IT? Pure money robbing scam taxes! I can go on and on! You ever hear of the “CAFHC“ (California Food Handlers Card)??? Yup!!! That’s another scam tax on people that work in the food industry... The hits just go on and on! LOL

Bottomline, Commiefornia is KNOWN to make up new fake bs taxes and raise fees whenever they feel like it or whenever they need to fill their own pockets without even a single vote from the citizens of this state.

Last edited:

srfr4life6

Lurker
May 4, 2017
Saugus, CA
fv-escape-hatch.com
Name
Joe
Boat
Boat dreaming
Just another tax scam by the state... Just like the gasoline taxes, vehicle registration fees and all the other BS extortion taxes by these crooks in SacraMoscow. If these clowns wanted to implement real “safety” then they should make every boater get their USCG captains license. This is just another tax scam by the crooked politicians of this state.
In your eyes, paying $50 max and taking a day or two course is a "tax scam" by the state that won't increase safety. Yet you want people to be required by that same state to pay thousands, take a minimum of a week or two of courses and appointments to gather necessary training and credentials(classroom training, TWIC card, CPR and first aid, and have a medical physical), and gather 500+ hours of sea time and think that is the better option?

I agree, those that pass through all that will most likely be better skippers but is it really necessary for those that go out maybe a few times a year for personal use?

Do you want all drivers to pass all training and have all the credentials of a truck driver or bus driver?

Personally, I'm glad there is some sort of training required and really glad I went through it. Some of the comments I see on this and other forums in regards to accidents highlights how little people actually know of their legal responsibilities at sea for safe operation. But that's just my two cents.

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
Jun 22, 2014
No Grave But the Sea
Name
Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
Boat
Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
If you have a CG 100 tons license do you still need a boaters card?.
If you have a ticket you are exempt.

According to California law, the following persons will not be required to have a boater card to operate any motorized vessel on California waterways when the requirements go into effect beginning in January 2018:

• A person operating a rental vessel.
  • A person operating a vessel while under the direct supervision of a person 18 years of age or older who is in possession of a California Boater Card.
  • A person who is a resident of a state other than California who is temporarily operating a vessel in California for less than 60 days and meets the boating requirements, if any, of his/her state.
  • A person who is a resident of a country other than the United States who is temporarily operating a vessel in California for less than 90 days and meets the boating requirements, if any, of his/her country.
  • A person operating a vessel in an organized regatta or vessel race, or water ski race.
  • A person who is in possession of a current commercial fishing license.
  • A person who is in possession of a valid marine operator license, for the waters upon which the licensee is operating, issued by the US Coast Guard, or who is in possession of a valid certificate issued pursuant to the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, 1978, as amended.
  • A person who has successfully completed a boating course approved by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training.
http://californiaboatercard.com/faqs-2/

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
Jun 22, 2014
No Grave But the Sea
Name
Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
Boat
Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
Anybody else see a problem with this exemption ?
That was my first thought as well...

Below is their explanation:

California State Parks Division of Boating and Waterways (DBW) is implementing the California Vessel Operator Card law as it is written. Many rental facilities provide basic boater safety information to operators. DBW encourages all boat operators to take an approved boating safety course and apply for a California Boater Card.

The requirement for California boaters to obtain this card happened through the state legislative process. The bill that created the California Boater Card, SB 941 (Chapter 433, Statutes of 2014), went through a number of changes as it moved through the California Legislature.

For example, earlier versions of the bill did include a requirement for a boater card for rentals. However, in June 2014, when the bill was heard in the Assembly Transportation Committee, the Committee analysis recommended removing the card requirement for rentals, and noted the following points:

• According to 2013 California Recreational Boating Accident Statistics, of all the vessel accidents that occurred in the state that year, only 9% involved rental vessels.
  • The boating industry indicated that rental agents generally provide boater safety training as part of the rental process.
  • The California Yacht Brokers Association, the Marina Recreation Association, the National Marine Manufacturers Association, and the Western Boater’s Safety Group, supported the bill stating, “The bill strikes a good balance between ensuring that vessel operators are sufficiently educated on boating safety and vessel operation without imposing an excessive burden that would serve as a barrier to operating a vessel.”
The author accepted this recommended amendment, and on June 18, 2014 the next version of the bill provided an exemption for individuals renting vessels.

capnkir

Jul 6, 2008
san clemente, ca
Name
kirk
Boat
27 ft parker,
It also does not seem to mention how long the card is good for?
Each year after January 2018, a new age group will be added to those who are required to possess a valid card. By 2025, all persons who operate on California waters will be required to have one.

Once issued, the card remains valid for a boat operator’s lifetime.

California Harbors and Navigation Code Section 678.11(b) contains the following phase-in schedule based on operator age:

Reactions: DoubletroubleII

Tifoso

Chinook,lings,bottom fish. And everything else.
Jul 25, 2016
norCal (central valley)
Name
Lou
Boat
yes
These guys would tax turds if they could. Arsehoes

hbouldin1216

May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat
14 Gregor - Tinacious
  • The boating industry indicated that rental agents generally provide boater safety training as part of the rental process.
AKA "Move this lever forward to make the boat go, heres the horn that doesn't work, cooler is up here to go with your complimentary bottle of champagne included in your GroupOn, and oh ya, do you need any more ice? See you in two hours."

I love Duffys but Jesus Christ is that rental clause laughable.

Reel 007

Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
I wonder how many members of the California Assembly actually own a boat or any watercraft for that matter.
I received my cellphone bill earlier today, there are nine taxes on it, disguised as fees and sur-charges.
Will this ever stop, the solution to every problem in Sacramento is another tax.

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
According to 2013 California Recreational Boating Accident Statistics, of all the vessel accidents that occurred in the state that year, only 9% involved rental vessels.
And probably only about 3% or less of vessels are rentals .Iv'e rented boats on lakes before but I don't ever recall being told anything about navigational safety
other then those are the life jackets :rolleyes:

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Those of us in the age group that don't need a card until 2025 might consider getting it sooner rather than later.You know that price is only going to go up when the state realizes they can screw us a little harder for another buck or two.