FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
So, you select a great bait, gently catch it, pin it on and quickly get it out with a soft lob and away it goes! Everything is going great. Now your spool is freely spinning and over runs your line which wraps the spool stopping it and the bait. You unwarp it and get the line going again but the bait had to pull against the dead spool for a second or two burning precious energy. Now it is no longer a lively bait swimming through the zone.

In testing all my live bait reels, all I have to do is let a couple of feet of line hang off of them and they will spin until the spool is empty. When fishing it seems like I can get things going right after a cast but often the spool over runs the line and binds. Seems like a combination of speed and the line being just the least bit sticky.

I commonly see the crew point the rod down towards the water and strip a pile of line into the water right after a cast to let the bait get moving with little resistance but they seem to need to have a thumb on the spool to keep it from over running the line.

Do any of you actually do something to minimize this situation? Select a line that is less prone to be sticky? Rinse your spool with freshwater before every bait goes out?

Assuming that there will always be some adhesion of the line to the spool I was messing with an AVET with Magicast control. When set at 2 or 3 that little bit of extra resistance kept the spool from over running the line as often and did not seem to add appreciable resistance to the bait. So at times it actually seems like you can have too much free spool for your own good.

Reactions: locvetter
Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    One trick to fishing chovies is to strip line off and whip the line out so there is slack. Sardines are a bit different but the idea is to feel for the bait kick just for a moment then kick the spool out to let it go. You can not have both feel the kick and let the bait run at the same time and unfortunately where your line is does not mean anything to where your bait is, if you hook the bait in the shoulder like I do. Casting from the side helps get separation.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    If you are intelligent enough to do all of the above, you are presumed to be intelligent enough to know how to not allow your bait to cause an "over run".

You would think so but it still happens more often than I would like. Guess I need more practice. :-)

Reactions: wils
    Upvote 0