Man Up or spend money, what would you do?

bjcanweld

Almost A Member
Nov 9, 2008
oceanside, ca usa
Name
bruce johnson
Boat
16' radon bahia
Shoulder injury means no BF for me -Friend of mine just put a 192#er on the deck with a Penn 30 2 speed - used the rail till it went in the pail - 1 hour

Last edited:
Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Your gear is fine, better than most! 90% of the fish that you hook will be Dead Fish Swimming, and if you wear a kneepad to cushion your knee and use the rail you should be fine.

But there is always Godzilla swimming around out there. If you snag him you will either be unable to turn him and he heads over the horizon, or he exhausts you. Do what I do -- fight as hard as you can for as long as you can, then ask for help, either another fisherman that you have arranged to team up with or a crewman if one is available. And if it is a crewman fighting with you, I tell them that I appreciate it very much, there's an extra hundred in the tip if the fish ends up with a tag. They know me, they know that I take care of them even if it is a tough trip for me, but I think that a little extra sugar makes everything better.

Upvote 0

migelito

May 12, 2010
    So Cal.
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Indy
    Put the HXW raptor on that 3x and fish it with 100#. Heavy framed wide reels are always going to be heavier. Other then the HXW I'm not a fan of wide reels. If it was me I'd take the spectra off one of the 30SWs sell it put that towards a mak or penn 20. Get yourself or make a reel strap that clips onto one of the lugs.

Upvote 0

crazy cajun

Bait Hog
    Jun 14, 2008
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Sean
    Boat
    Grady White Lori Ann
    My buddy just sits of the rod and keeps the line tight. Watched him land 2 cows last year back to back. He never gave up the rod. He is 61 this year and is 5'3. In his own words, I let the boat do the lifting, all I got to do the the reeling. When he has to move, he just put the rod under his arm and walks down the rail. Once the fish settles down, he sits back down and rides it out.

20201024_141701(0).jpg