patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Phlynn and crew,
That looked like a very nice sized scissor lipped bastard, bummer. Cool video, after having missed plenty in the past, I found smaller hooked gaffs to be much more efficient on those long skinny critters.

Cheers
Pat

Reactions: phlynn_stone808
Upvote 0

Slow Poke

SeaKhunt
Jun 6, 2010
Kailua, HI.
Name
Jeff
Boat
21' Kencraft
Wish i could say that has never happened to us. These days i act a whole lot faster than that when an Ono hits a lure with mono. Gaff that thing as soon as it gets to the boat with mono...And hold on to the gaff! Great video though!

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2010
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Name
Phlynn P
Boat
Force 21 Loretta B.
Phlynn and crew,
That looked like a very nice sized scissor lipped bastard, bummer. Cool video, after having missed plenty in the past, I found smaller hooked gaffs to be much more efficient on those long skinny critters.

Cheers
Pat

Hey Pat, That sure was a nice one! lol one of the bigger ones this year for us. When it comes to Ono's this year we just haven't been getting very lucky. Thanks for the tip! I will have to invest on a smaller hooked gaff especially cause my dad was pissed i lost his favorite gaff!! haha

Cheers!! :cheers:

Upvote 0

Mo Betta

Offshore Prop Changer
Feb 6, 2003
El Cajon
youatplay.com
Name
Frank
Boat
25' Wellcraft sportsman "Mo Betta", 14' Livingston"Caballito"
Great video! Eh we all had days like that, next time.

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2010
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Name
Phlynn P
Boat
Force 21 Loretta B.
Wish i could say that has never happened to us. These days i act a whole lot faster than that when an Ono hits a lure with mono. Gaff that thing as soon as it gets to the boat with mono...And hold on to the gaff! Great video though!

Hey Jeff, Yeah i definitely underestimated this fish. We got him up to the boat really quick and he was still very green. I gaffed him right in his head/mouth area tried to pin him next to the boat but he gave me one good solid head shake and slipped the gaff out of my hands! After that he sped up and started to beat the boat shortly after the line had cut due to his razor sharp teeth... This really taught me a lesson gotta be on my toes at all times and always have that G.I. Joe Kung Fu grip when ever i gaff a fish no matter what size the fish is lol . But thanks for watching! Hope to get some more fishing action in the future.

Upvote 0

chuck merkel

Jun 18, 2007
Hawaii
Name
Chuck Merkel
Boat
21 foot Force Marine, Joslyn M
Get in touch with Glenn - Force 21 on this forum. He can hook you up with any size gaff you need. PM me if you want his phone number.

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
Upvote 0

AKEMI TOO

Nov 20, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Name
Steven
Boat
21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
Real exciting video, too bad about the ending. Well at least you got a strike. I went and got a small gaff just for those times. I always tell my crew, we're out for fun but that fish is fighting for his life, gotta give it respect.

Upvote 0