mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    The most tragic part of this story is that sunglasses that probably cost $20 to produce set you back $300! Money grabbing bastards. :D

Great story, glad you are OK and got the fish to boot!

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat Name
    African Queen
    Reminds me of a story Rollo (of SD long range fishing lore) told me some 30 years ago. He deck-handing on a trip way south and somehow had a rod in his hand hooked up to a 200-300lb yellowfin. A similar "perfect storm" of the fish turning hard and boat dropping into a trough, had Rollo in the water, being drug under some 10-15 ft. He managed to pop to the surface, rod still in hand, still attached to the tuna, yelling "I've still got him, I've still got him!" And the deckies onboard are yelling, "Cut the line, cut the line!"

Damned if I can recall if they ended up with the tuna or not... maybe someone on here from back in those days if familiar with this story.

In any case, yeah, helluva story, and way to bring the bacon home!

Upvote 0

Pablo2fish

A humble student of the game.
    Oct 27, 2008
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Paul
    Boat Name
    Aquasport 250 Explorer
    Wow Chris, you're starting to compete with some of my crazy fish stories. That transition is aways a bit sketchy with a fish on. I have almost gone swimming from there on several occasions. I only wish I were there to witness this stellar fight. Way to hang in there and maintain focus and prevail in the end. :appl::appl::appl:It's probably a good idea for us to keep some dry clothes on the boat in zip locks going forward. :worship:

Upvote 0

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
    Dec 12, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Clay
    Boat Name
    n/a
    I grabbed the sunglasses and then I started to sink as I could no longer tread water with all my clothes on, and a pissed off tuna that is still pulling me away from the boat. I made the choice to drop the $300 dollar sunglasses and hold onto the $1000 rod and reel with the tuna on the end.
    Amazon product

Reactions: ChrisNorm
    Upvote 0

bufin

Nov 30, 2021
    los angeles
    Name
    mark gruskin
    Boat Name
    parker 28
    Started off as a normal quiet day leaving the dock from Dana Landing at 7:30am. Headed south about 30 ish miles and ran into the fleet. Marked a bunch of fish but no foamers so we decided to troll a purple Mad Mac. Within 15 minutes we hooked up and landed an 80lber. We were cruising about 13mph and trolled it 500 feet behind the boat. (We lost another one at the boat right after that)

More boats were showing up and keeping the fish down so we decided to head west about 15 miles and find our own fish. (Best decision as usual)

Got on the Gyros up on the tuna tower and spotted a massive foamer about 2 miles away. Got the rods out (both with surface irons) and instantly had a double hook up as we slid right in. This is the fun part. We had been fighting both tuna about 10 minutes and I went to the bow of the boat as I normally do. I was following the Bluefin around when it started pulling toward the stern. My buddy Scott and I were going to do a simple over under to avoid lines crossing. As I was walking around the boat and going to take the step down to the deck, it was a perfect storm of events. The tuna decided to make a huge run, the swell rocked the boat sideways and I was taking a step down where there was no rail. As I was mid step, I felt my deck boots give way, and I had a split second decision to make…Eat crap on the deck and the bait tank, or go overboard into the water.

Well I (kinda) chose the softer landing. Man Overboard. Keep in mind I had layers on. Shorts, sweats, waterproof pants over the sweats, deck boots and a t-shirt. As soon as I hit the water both of my buddies were as shocked as I was, they looked at me stunned ‘floating’ in the water. I still had the rod in my hand and noticed my sunglasses were now sinking, all the while I’m just trying to stay afloat. So I grabbed the sunglasses and then I started to sink as I could no longer tread water with all my clothes on, and a pissed off tuna that is still pulling me away from the boat. I made the choice to drop the $300 dollar sunglasses and hold onto the $1000 rod and reel with the tuna on the end.

Phil then grabbed the longest gaff we had and put the butt end out for me to grab. Once close enough he grabbed the rod and reel from me, and continued to fight this fish. I eventually pulled myself back into the boat and grabbed the rod back to fight the rest of the way. We finally got him into the boat (about 65lb) and we all just started busting up laughing. Craziest fishing story I’d ever been a part of.

Best part was the foamer was still going so we went over and got 2 more before we called it quits with 5 tuna in the boat. It was an epic day, just a little wet!

View attachment 1396297

View attachment 1396298

View attachment 1396299

View attachment 1396301

View attachment 1396302

View attachment 1396303

View attachment 1396305
    I think I saw Brad Pitt do that in a movie once

Upvote 0

Jay Carleton

CATCH -N- FILLET
    Mar 12, 2007
    Mentone, CA
    Name
    Jay Dog
    Boat Name
    21' seaswirl, "SEA-ALICE"
    Started off as a normal quiet day leaving the dock from Dana Landing at 7:30am. Headed south about 30 ish miles and ran into the fleet. Marked a bunch of fish but no foamers so we decided to troll a purple Mad Mac. Within 15 minutes we hooked up and landed an 80lber. We were cruising about 13mph and trolled it 500 feet behind the boat. (We lost another one at the boat right after that)

More boats were showing up and keeping the fish down so we decided to head west about 15 miles and find our own fish. (Best decision as usual)

Got on the Gyros up on the tuna tower and spotted a massive foamer about 2 miles away. Got the rods out (both with surface irons) and instantly had a double hook up as we slid right in. This is the fun part. We had been fighting both tuna about 10 minutes and I went to the bow of the boat as I normally do. I was following the Bluefin around when it started pulling toward the stern. My buddy Scott and I were going to do a simple over under to avoid lines crossing. As I was walking around the boat and going to take the step down to the deck, it was a perfect storm of events. The tuna decided to make a huge run, the swell rocked the boat sideways and I was taking a step down where there was no rail. As I was mid step, I felt my deck boots give way, and I had a split second decision to make…Eat crap on the deck and the bait tank, or go overboard into the water.

Well I (kinda) chose the softer landing. Man Overboard. Keep in mind I had layers on. Shorts, sweats, waterproof pants over the sweats, deck boots and a t-shirt. As soon as I hit the water both of my buddies were as shocked as I was, they looked at me stunned ‘floating’ in the water. I still had the rod in my hand and noticed my sunglasses were now sinking, all the while I’m just trying to stay afloat. So I grabbed the sunglasses and then I started to sink as I could no longer tread water with all my clothes on, and a pissed off tuna that is still pulling me away from the boat. I made the choice to drop the $300 dollar sunglasses and hold onto the $1000 rod and reel with the tuna on the end.

Phil then grabbed the longest gaff we had and put the butt end out for me to grab. Once close enough he grabbed the rod and reel from me, and continued to fight this fish. I eventually pulled myself back into the boat and grabbed the rod back to fight the rest of the way. We finally got him into the boat (about 65lb) and we all just started busting up laughing. Craziest fishing story I’d ever been a part of.

Best part was the foamer was still going so we went over and got 2 more before we called it quits with 5 tuna in the boat. It was an epic day, just a little wet!

View attachment 1396297

View attachment 1396298

View attachment 1396299

View attachment 1396301

View attachment 1396302

View attachment 1396303

View attachment 1396305
    F'in awesome story glad it all worked out. Win win

Upvote 0

ChrisNorm

• Apr 26, 2019
    Dana Point, CA
    Name
    Christopher Norman
    Boat Name
    The Anadora
    Wow Chris, you're starting to compete with some of my crazy fish stories. That transition is aways a bit sketchy with a fish on. I have almost gone swimming from there on several occasions. I only wish I were there to witness this stellar fight. Way to hang in there and maintain focus and prevail in the end. :appl::appl::appl:It's probably a good idea for us to keep some dry clothes on the boat in zip locks going forward. :worship:
    Haha I promise I wasn’t looking to top a good story! But maybe some floaties around my arms at all times moving forward would be great 😆

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    the far reaches of crazy
    Name
    Boat Name
    toy
    Thanks Jay! Definitely one for the books!
    I did a similar thing last season. Stuck a gaff in what turned out to be 69 lb BFT. The tuna went ape shit, and I slipped and went over the side with the gaff in hand. The fish pulled me down about ten feet and I said F this, and let it go. We lost the gaff but still landed the fish. Unlike you, I was in shorts and flip-flops. and it was dusk, so no glasses. ha. And my buddy never stopped fighting the fish while i pulled my fat ass back on board. ha.

Upvote 0

shindoman

• Aug 23, 2021
    Placentia, CA
    Name
    Troy Shandy
    Boat Name
    Seaswirl Striper 26' WA
    Great read....glad you got to keep the rod, reel and fish👍

T2

Upvote 0

Sandydog

Almost A Member
    Mar 18, 2017
    Dana Point, CA
    Name
    John Kim
    Boat Name
    n/a
    Glad to hear you're safe. I've lost some expensive shades to the deep myself. Buy some $20 glasses....they never get lost....lol.
    Or buy some floating sunglasses retainers for $5-$10. A friend lost his $100 Gargoyles when he was fooling around with a trolling rod. The feather hopped out of the water the exact moment he pulled back on the rod. The rod straightened shooting the line forward, then the feather went back in the water pulling the line back. A loop in the line brushed against the side of his head. caught the earpiece of his sunglasses, and flipped them off into the water.

Upvote 0