Offshore Man Overboard

ChrisNorm

• Apr 26, 2019
    Orange County
    Name
    Christopher Norman
    Boat Name
    The Anadora
    Started off as a normal quiet day leaving the dock from Dana Landing at 7:30am. Headed south about 30 ish miles and ran into the fleet. Marked a bunch of fish but no foamers so we decided to troll a purple Mad Mac. Within 15 minutes we hooked up and landed an 80lber. We were cruising about 13mph and trolled it 500 feet behind the boat. (We lost another one at the boat right after that)

More boats were showing up and keeping the fish down so we decided to head west about 15 miles and find our own fish. (Best decision as usual)

Got on the Gyros up on the tuna tower and spotted a massive foamer about 2 miles away. Got the rods out (both with surface irons) and instantly had a double hook up as we slid right in. This is the fun part. We had been fighting both tuna about 10 minutes and I went to the bow of the boat as I normally do. I was following the Bluefin around when it started pulling toward the stern. My buddy Scott and I were going to do a simple over under to avoid lines crossing. As I was walking around the boat and going to take the step down to the deck, it was a perfect storm of events. The tuna decided to make a huge run, the swell rocked the boat sideways and I was taking a step down where there was no rail. As I was mid step, I felt my deck boots give way, and I had a split second decision to make…Eat crap on the deck and the bait tank, or go overboard into the water.

Well I (kinda) chose the softer landing. Man Overboard. Keep in mind I had layers on. Shorts, sweats, waterproof pants over the sweats, deck boots and a t-shirt. As soon as I hit the water both of my buddies were as shocked as I was, they looked at me stunned ‘floating’ in the water. I still had the rod in my hand and noticed my sunglasses were now sinking, all the while I’m just trying to stay afloat. So I grabbed the sunglasses and then I started to sink as I could no longer tread water with all my clothes on, and a pissed off tuna that is still pulling me away from the boat. I made the choice to drop the $300 dollar sunglasses and hold onto the $1000 rod and reel with the tuna on the end.

Phil then grabbed the longest gaff we had and put the butt end out for me to grab. Once close enough he grabbed the rod and reel from me, and continued to fight this fish. I eventually pulled myself back into the boat and grabbed the rod back to fight the rest of the way. We finally got him into the boat (about 65lb) and we all just started busting up laughing. Craziest fishing story I’d ever been a part of.

Best part was the foamer was still going so we went over and got 2 more before we called it quits with 5 tuna in the boat. It was an epic day, just a little wet!

0790CEDE-1BD6-4130-9CE0-2F7352358B6B.jpeg

ED056013-ACC7-4738-A81D-69A489CF9A40.jpeg

6D5A1304-2573-4D2D-8DE7-E9C1AC7C756D.jpeg

9CB3DCA7-B9B4-40B0-A00A-AF58111F1E4D.jpeg

2EA17A23-1775-4A54-A1ED-068A12BCB5A9.jpeg

5DBA8E60-0DF9-4280-80D7-5FE693D665F0.jpeg

495DEB02-815B-4778-9059-95F42552526C.jpeg

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    the far reaches of crazy
    Name
    Boat Name
    toy
    Started off as a normal quiet day leaving the dock from Dana Landing at 7:30am. Headed south about 30 ish miles and ran into the fleet. Marked a bunch of fish but no foamers so we decided to troll a purple Mad Mac. Within 15 minutes we hooked up and landed an 80lber. We were cruising about 13mph and trolled it 500 feet behind the boat. (We lost another one at the boat right after that)

More boats were showing up and keeping the fish down so we decided to head west about 15 miles and find our own fish. (Best decision as usual)

Got on the Gyros up on the tuna tower and spotted a massive foamer about 2 miles away. Got the rods out (both with surface irons) and instantly had a double hook up as we slid right in. This is the fun part. We had been fighting both tuna about 10 minutes and I went to the bow of the boat as I normally do. I was following the Bluefin around when it started pulling toward the stern. My buddy Scott and I were going to do a simple over under to avoid lines crossing. As I was walking around the boat and going to take the step down to the deck, it was a perfect storm of events. The tuna decided to make a huge run, the swell rocked the boat sideways and I was taking a step down where there was no rail. As I was mid step, I felt my deck boots give way, and I had a split second decision to make…Eat crap on the deck and the bait tank, or go overboard into the water.

Well I (kinda) chose the softer landing. Man Overboard. Keep in mind I had layers on. Shorts, sweats, waterproof pants over the sweats, deck boots and a t-shirt. As soon as I hit the water both of my buddies were as shocked as I was, they looked at me stunned ‘floating’ in the water. I still had the rod in my hand and noticed my sunglasses were now sinking, all the while I’m just trying to stay afloat. So I grabbed the sunglasses and then I started to sink as I could no longer tread water with all my clothes on, and a pissed off tuna that is still pulling me away from the boat. I made the choice to drop the $300 dollar sunglasses and hold onto the $1000 rod and reel with the tuna on the end.

Phil then grabbed the longest gaff we had and put the butt end out for me to grab. Once close enough he grabbed the rod and reel from me, and continued to fight this fish. I eventually pulled myself back into the boat and grabbed the rod back to fight the rest of the way. We finally got him into the boat (about 65lb) and we all just started busting up laughing. Craziest fishing story I’d ever been a part of.

Best part was the foamer was still going so we went over and got 2 more before we called it quits with 5 tuna in the boat. It was an epic day, just a little wet!

View attachment 1396297

View attachment 1396298

View attachment 1396299

View attachment 1396301

View attachment 1396302

View attachment 1396303

View attachment 1396305
    Luck SOB

Upvote 0

bradnoble

Backcountry Snowboarder
    Aug 8, 2009
    Steamboat Springs, Colorado
    Name
    Brad
    Boat Name
    19' Glasstron
    Now that is baaaaad ass! Fighting a bluefin soaking wet!

Excited Pool Party GIF by Target

I have heard of this happening. I read that the best thing to do in this situation is to : put the reel in free spool with the clicker on.

Swim back to the boat and get in of course. Finish him off before hypothermia sets in. Drink a brew. Sounds like you did good, waaay to go!!:Death_To_Above:

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Crazy report/read/pics and NICE TUNA guys. Glad you got back onboard and drained your boots.
    The #1 cause of man overboard. Still pissing overboard. So you're safe from that rant. LOL

Reactions: ChrisNorm
    Upvote 0

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
    May 31, 2003
    Poway redneck
    www.wedigscripps.com
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    23' Maritime Patriot
    Just curious, how does that purple Macmac troll with the treble hook? I lost two BF a couple days ago on a 200 - spit the hook. After checking out the barbs on the factory inline hooks, noticed there really isn't much barb at all.

Upvote 0

ChrisNorm

• Apr 26, 2019
    Orange County
    Name
    Christopher Norman
    Boat Name
    The Anadora
    Just curious, how does that purple Macmac troll with the treble hook? I lost two BF a couple days ago on a 200 - spit the hook. After checking out the barbs on the factory inline hooks, noticed there really isn't much barb at all.
    Ya so we switched it out to a treble and it worked great. I think the key was keeping the boat in gear the whole time. Keeps the lines tight and worked for us.

Upvote 0

ChrisNorm

• Apr 26, 2019
    Orange County
    Name
    Christopher Norman
    Boat Name
    The Anadora
    FYI $300 Sunglasses aren't worth 2 cents when you start sinking, maybe drowning. Just
    Crazy report/read/pics and NICE TUNA guys. Glad you got back onboard and drained your boots.
    The #1 cause of man overboard. Still pissing overboard. So you're safe from that rant. LOL
    The only kinda bummer was they were prescription sunglasses! Haha but who the heck cares… I know! I’m eating sushi tonight 😂

Upvote 0