Offshore Man overboard Wednesday

Selah

Dec 13, 2005
san diego
Name
rob
Boat
21' Chris Craft
I was spearfishing with a guy I know 15 miles off shore. When we came to a paddy he said “Why don’t we put the boat up wind of the paddy and we both get in.” This would have left no one in the boat. I gave him a solid “No”.

I’m hoping this guy didn’t have the same bright idea.

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    It really ain't that hard to have happen. Jumping on a patty, between cat. and San Diego, spearfishing by myself, my unseasoned buddies who were supposed to be watching for me decided to drop a line in with a leadhead-plastic. They hooked up a YT, and were so focused on the battle, they drifted off the patty. I watched them drift further and further away, until they were a small speck on the horizon. I got in the middle of the patty, surrounded by a huge bait ball, and waited. It took 40 minutes or so, but they reaquired the patty, and me. The YT went about #35. I did not see/shoot anything on the patty. Pretty scary. Rough seas at the N.end of San Clemente almost lost track of 2 divers being liveboated for WSB. That guys dad probably just lost him and freaked out. He is lucky. I wonder if he had a reel gun or a float (break away gear)? How gratifing to have found him!

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
    Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Did anyone hear a mayday or what have you on the radio ?

Reactions: marlyn and stuman

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
    HB
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Line up
    We where heading back from fishing down by Ensenada when on radio heard chatter of trying to hail the boat that the diver was from. Very sketchy!! Good on OO for saving him!!

Reactions: kbray001
    Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    This was no accident. I've resisted the urge many times after taking the kids fishing and after about 30 minutes they wanted to go home. JK
    When my dad took me offshore in a boat to learn to swim, and threw me overboard, he told me "sink or swim"! He also said the chains he wrapped around me were to "make me stronger"

Upvote 0

irukandji

Aug 5, 2011
    OC
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Irukandji
    He could have been dinner for a big Mako.if it wasn't for that deckhand spotting him.That boat deserves a Gold Medal..
    Even though makos have never been recorded biting anyone

Blackfish
    Blackfish
    Not according to this:

looks like 12 fatal. From 1580 to present. 🤣

Upvote 0

John S.

Aug 4, 2008
    Valley Center, CA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
    Even though makos have never been recorded biting anyone
    There have been confirmed Mako attacks on humans. Less than 9. Small numbers. Nurse Sharks have bitten people. Lots of sharks have bitten people. The three biggest problem sharks remain the Whites, Bull and Tigers. That guy was more likely to die from hypothermia then get whacked by a shark.

Upvote 0

queenfish

Nov 21, 2003
    OB
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    19 Boston Whaler Nantucket
    Where can we read this entire story?
    It looks like Coast Guard had already begun to search.
    For learning purposes, I'd like to hear the entire story and see what mistakes were made.
    Maybe the boat wouldn't start up etc.

Reactions: kbray001
    Upvote 0

Rookie Hooky

Jul 22, 2021
    California
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    NONE
    A Boy Scout was bitten on the hand by a shark canoeing with his group at Parsons Landing / Catalina on 7/2. Sharks like to swim and eat in the ocean, coast or deep sea.
    I’d rather not test the shark bite theory 30 miles at sea with no land in site. That way I don’t have to blame my dad, grandma, friend, or anyone else for losing track of my butt in the water.

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    He could have been dinner for a big Mako.if it wasn't for that deckhand spotting him.That boat deserves a Gold Medal..
    Thank God there's been a giant floating dead whale out there. That the sharks have been feeding on for days. I stopped by it myself to see at least a dozen sharks on it. Photos did no justice to that Nat Geo moment.

Upvote 0

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
    --
    Name
    StephenKatSea
    Boat
    .--.
    Huge props to the Ocean a Odyssey. I did wonder if either USCG or the boat the survivor was diving from, had put out an Emergency Pan Pan on Ch 16? Did see a report of this incident on TV - KCAL ch 9. They gave credit to USCG and barely mentioned the OO. There was no mention of a search conducted by the CG. Seemed CG made it to the OO's position, picked up the diver after the OO had performed the rescue. Likely the CG gave the diver a ride back to SD? I fully support the USCG. They've performed some miraculous rescues. But in this case, sure looks like it was the OO that did the work. Job very well done!

Last edited:
    Reactions: marlyn and kbray001
    Upvote 0

thatsharkguy

Almost A Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Central California
    Name
    Karl
    Boat
    15ft Western Aluminum
    Holy shit that’s scary. Easy to lost a diver with no float after the wind picks up for sure.

Upvote 0
    Jul 26, 2015
    san diego
    Name
    jw
    Boat
    none
    Huge props to the Ocean a Odyssey. I did wonder if either USCG or the boat the survivor was diving from, had put out an Emergency Pan Pan on Ch 16? Did see a report of this incident on TV - KCAL ch 9. They gave credit to USCG and barely mentioned the OO. There was no mention of a search conducted by the CG. Seemed CG made it to the OO's position, picked up the diver after the OO had performed the rescue. Likely the CG gave the diver a ride back to SD? I fully support the USCG. They've performed some miraculous rescues. But in this case, sure looks like it was the OO that did the work. Job very well done!
    The amazing men and women of the USCG are constantly risking their lives to save boaters in distress and arrest smugglers. However the senior leadership loves any good ink, media whores.

Upvote 0

bassnet

Nov 30, 2003
    OC
    www.bassackwardsoc.com
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    2007 Champion 183
    Maybe it was his red headed step child and gave him the push!
    Makos hate gingers...

gingers.jpg

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    No they don't I CANT keep them OFF MY HOOK........ I swear they love me ..... 🤔, maybe they don't 😲... no but seriously them makos are real thick this year. Shit loads of makos out there. Anyone looking for mako go to the lower 9 and into the international reef... they are everywhere..... good luck. Caught one in the 500lb class last trip...... not fun. As it was dragging the boat, while I was praying that my line would snap. Nope.... it didn't so YEA your right...makos HATE GINGERS.

bassnet

Nov 30, 2003
    OC
    www.bassackwardsoc.com
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    2007 Champion 183
    No they don't I CANT keep them OFF MY HOOK........ I swear they love me ..... 🤔, maybe they don't 😲... no but seriously them makos are real thick this year. Shit loads of makos out there. Anyone looking for mako go to the lower 9 and into the international reef... they are everywhere..... good luck. Caught one in the 500lb class last trip...... not fun. As it was dragging the boat, while I was praying that my line would snap. Nope.... it didn't so YEA your right...makos HATE GINGERS.
    Somebody pass an invite to the island bound mammals to come down to the 9 for an all you can eat buffet

Reactions: SMYLEE
    Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Pics or it didnt happen

Reactions: SMYLEE
    Upvote 0

Latest posts