super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
What a terrible tragedy! Makes it even harder after seeing some of his pictures.

Captain Randy Llanes, may you rest in peace brother!

7927255_G.jpg

7927254_G.jpg

7927253_G.jpg

The unknown fisherman:p:

Reactions: JimmyK and alulunga
Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
Who would have ever though huh :(

Fish was reported to measure 3 feet long, with a bill length of about 3 feet, and weighed about 40lbs.
7927238_G.jpg

musta got him just below the rib cage

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

Goin Fishin

Tryin' for my next personal best
Aug 21, 2009
SoCal
Name
Jay
Boat
Sea-Jay
Really is a sad, freakish thing. May he rest in peace and my condolences to his family and friends.

Upvote 0

untensan

Almost A Member
Jan 30, 2010
Kealakekua
Name
Terry
Boat
21' Seacat CC
I moved to Kona 34 years ago. the Llanes Ohana is legendary in the fishing community. In hindsight, what he did may have been foolish, however, who among us have never done anything without considering the consequences. I just read the story on Foxnews. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/2...lled-by-fish-bill-after-jumping-in-water-to/  It pisses me off how the anonymity of the internet allows insensitive people to make hurtful comments for the world (and especially the Llanes family) to read. Mahalo to all the bders for being respectful. Okay, I've got it off my chest. I feel better now...

Upvote 0

J.C.

Run what ya Brung
May 20, 2012
Wa
Name
Justin
Boat
18' aluminum
Hell of a lot better way to go than falling in the shower. He walked through life like a warrior and went the same. Much respect and love for the family. Its time to celebrate his life.

Aloha'oe

Last edited:
Reactions: rsokolowski
Upvote 0

wa_docholliday

doc holliday
Jul 11, 2013
Lynnwood,wa
Name
Ryan Holliday
Boat
doc holliday
For those who don't know randy he was a fisherman through and through. He embodied the aloha spirit I have had the pleasure and privelage to call him my friend and fish along side him. I met randy through family friends and within minutes of being around him he had just got back from a trip and caught almost 200 lb tuna. A guy walked by down on his luck and said I sure do miss the taste of that and randy told him to come back in an hour. Randy marinated a steak from the fish and had it cooked upon his return. Randy loved his wife and kids and talked about them continuously even naming his lures after kaya his daughter. I hope this sheds a little light into who randy llanes is. Rip bruddah

Reactions: middleofnowhere
Upvote 0

Sockeye71

If it swims... we will hunt it down and club it!
Jul 5, 2011
Maple Valley
Name
Dave
Boat
Olympic 26' XLC "Sea Monkey"
http://www.grindtv.com/fishing/rand...own-for-his-aloha-spirit/#FosYjrw00Blqc2cV.97

In 1980 my Dad bought our 1st offshore boat from Kenny Llanes Sr and the entire Llanes family took us under their wing - WHEN it was NOT popular to be from the mainland AND fishing their waters!

Kenny, Randy, and Bomboy, all showed us all their in & outs and helped us rig our boat and "fish". True members of the "brotherhood"

I remember Kenny Sr throwing me into Honokahau Harbor when I cracked a smart-ass joke about the Captain.....awesome family.

Randy RIP....

Dave Brabo and family

Upvote 0