Mamas, don't let your babies play football...

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
Well, my one good knee is locking up on me finally. Note in my photo. That knee brace is no longer needed since I had that knee rebuilt a couple years ago. The other one is starting to go now. The first one was ligaments (or lack of them) while this one is cartilage/meniscus. Couldn't walk to my desk here in the office today. I have a great surgeon, thankfully. Any good vibes appreciated. I need these knees to keep up with my kids and pull on tuna! Too young for this...

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Apr 24, 2005
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
Had mine done 2 years ago. Had almost full range of motion from the second day. Start the exercises they give you Before surgery. It made my recovery a lot easier. Mine was cartilage also. Between basketball & football, my cartilage was gone.

Good luck. You should be fine.

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
Can you install rod holders on a walker while you recover? :frehya2:

Good luck with this. Great medical techniques available these days. :hali_olutta:

BiggestT

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
All us who fish, will be facing worn out lower backs. Not good.

clintonstick

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 18, 2014
Name
mike
Boat
g3
Well, my one good knee is locking up on me finally. Note in my photo. That knee brace is no longer needed since I had that knee rebuilt a couple years ago. The other one is starting to go now. The first one was ligaments (or lack of them) while this one is cartilage/meniscus. Couldn't walk to my desk here in the office today. I have a great surgeon, thankfully. Any good vibes appreciated. I need these knees to keep up with my kids and pull on tuna! Too young for this...
feel bad for ya,most guys i know who played too much football have screwed up knees.Football is a doomed sport,parents are not going to let their kids play a game that leads to injury.Boxing is dead football will be next,or they will have to change the rules were is is like flag football,it will still be around but boring.

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
feel bad for ya,most guys i know who played too much football have screwed up knees.Football is a doomed sport,parents are not going to let their kids play a game that leads to injury.Boxing is dead football will be next,or they will have to change the rules were is is like flag football,it will still be around but boring.
Try tennis....wait, very hard on the feet, ankles and knees.

Try basketball.....very hard on the ankles and knees.

Try golf.....ask Tiger what it does to your back.

Try ping pong......no one cares.

I never considered football. Just way too slow.

clintonstick

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 18, 2014
Name
mike
Boat
g3
Try tennis....wait, very hard on the feet, ankles and knees.

Try basketball.....very hard on the ankles and knees.

Try golf.....ask Tiger what it does to your back.

Try ping pong......no one cares.

I never considered football. Just way too slow.
ya not near the same as getting a concussion.PArents will definitly consider that risk,even alot of ex nfl guys are speaking out,watch old games of nhl or nba from 20 years ago ,they are playing touch now.They cannot even look at eachother now and its a foul or penalty.YOu could never compare any of these sports to the physical damage of the nfl,these guys are straight beasts and can barely walk or think after their career.

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
That's why its called the NFL.... Not For Long

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
ya not near the same as getting a concussion.PArents will definitly consider that risk,even alot of ex nfl guys are speaking out,watch old games of nhl or nba from 20 years ago ,they are playing touch now.They cannot even look at eachother now and its a foul or penalty.YOu could never compare any of these sports to the physical damage of the nfl,these guys are straight beasts and can barely walk or think after their career.
While the testosterone is raging, football sates the aggressive desire. But no one walks away from that game intact, except maybe punters, place kickers and long snappers.

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
Yeah, football (for better or worse) is looking less desirable. I can't believe the damage that's showing up in my body a few decades later. It's scary. I was a battering ram on the field. Due for a brain scan in the near future. Getting around much better today. When you tear the padding in a knee it can be very intermittent. I've got a dead guy's achilles tendon in my right knee, plus some titanium hardware. Amazing what technology exists these days.