Not open for further replies.

bigcripe77

Aug 27, 2012
San Diego
Name
Eric
Boat
N/A
Saw the great numbers put up by the fleet on Friday and decided to hop onboard the Malihini today for a 3/4 day offshore trip. Captain Mike and crew worked their butts off as usual. I have to admit, I've never had much luck on this boat. Been out with them a couple times but never had that great of a day. Today was pretty awesome. Spent the first 4 hours driving around looking for some bigger models and two bluefin 20-40lbs and a slug yellow of 20+ hit the deck but with 37(!) people on board we all were getting a bit antsy. Mike headed back back towards the coast and 20 or so miles off what looked like Rosarito, four separate large schools of fish were located signaled by huge flocks of birds diving. Within an hour and a half the boat had its limits and it was time to head in. These fish really wanted to die. Bait was the hot ticket but surface irons, snipers flat falls and even poppers were effective. Not huge fish but one hell of a way to open 2017! Sashimi and homemade teriyaki grilled collars with onions to celebrate the catch.
Collage 2017-03-26 21_34_50.jpg

kbray001

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 18, 2009
South OC
Name
Kirk
Boat
Regal 24
The mahilini getting it done on the firecrackers! Captain Mike really is a fishy dude. Hopefully more of the bft and larger yt can be found.

P

Paddyman1

If you gotta start somewhere, mind as well start with a few crackers. Bigger news to come...

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
Yikes.....

bigcripe77

Aug 27, 2012
San Diego
Name
Eric
Boat
N/A
My freezer was empty. I haven't fished offshore since last August. If it was the middle of summer and I had some table fare left over, these would of obviously been released. I thought the point of these reports was to let fellow anglers know what is going on offshore. There were 37 people on the boat and a lot of new fisherman and people sick in the galley so my three extra were to help them take home fish.

Last edited:

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Hey, I don't try to tell people what to do.....and, I might even keep a couple of those if I had nothing else............however, are you aware of the bag limits in Mex?

you are 3 over limits, sir. I don't even care so much about that except that you posted a picture of that on the biggest fishing website in the world, for all to see. Conapesca (the mex govt regulatory agency in charge of fishing) DOES watch this website. It gives us ALL a bad name. We hope you will be more aware of that, in the future. That is all.

They are tasty, glad you got some, and thanks for the report.

Good to see the catching begin so early in the spring. :)

bigcripe77

Aug 27, 2012
San Diego
Name
Eric
Boat
N/A
I only kept 5. The rest were given to people with short bags, mainly the people seasick in the cabin from the rough seas. I'll make sure in the future to only post pictures with the fish I kept. Newbie mistake I guess.

Hey, I don't try to tell people what to do.....and, I might even keep a couple of those if I had nothing else............however, are you aware of the bag limits in Mex?

you are 3 over limits, sir. I don't even care so much about that except that you posted a picture of that on the biggest fishing website in the world, for all to see. Conapesca (the mex govt regulatory agency in charge of fishing) DOES watch this website. It gives us ALL a bad name. We hope you will be more aware of that, in the future. That is all.

They are tasty, glad you got some, and thanks for the report.

Good to see the catching begin so early in the spring. :)

Phat Boat

Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
Thanks for the report. Those fish are fun on light tackle and eat great. Excellent job and report. I am really glad you posted this report, its been really informative in regards to where the fish are and how big they are. If people want to wait until the fish get bigger, so be it. Personally Ill grab my bass rod or 15 pound test and have a lot of fun with that grade fish. i just hope they don't get wrapped and fed to bluefin.

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
At the hatchery they stock the small fish and keep the broodstock. Perhaps we should practice the same philosophy in our oceans. I'm just saying....

alex morataya

Aug 14, 2007
Burbank
Name
Alex
Boat
none
Thanks for the report. Those fish are fun on light tackle and eat great. Excellent job and report. I am really glad you posted this report, its been really informative in regards to where the fish are and how big they are. If people want to wait until the fish get bigger, so be it. Personally Ill grab my bass rod or 15 pound test and have a lot of fun with that grade fish. i just hope they don't get wrapped and fed to bluefin.
Bass rod for small yellows = hella fun!!!!!

lazyfisherman

Nov 28, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Bobby
Boat
Cattle Boats
Good God - I'm ashamed for the dude in the picture, really?
WTF Go trout fishing!
You're ashamed for the OP for going out fishing and catching the fish the captain put him on? We can't always control what we catch when on a cattle boat, but as long as nothing's going to waste, don't see an issue with it. Why not post up your own report and show us how you've done better?

FakeDuaneDiego

Jun 20, 2016
Burbank
Name
D
Boat
N/a
You're ashamed for the OP for going out fishing and catching the fish the captain put him on? We can't always control what we catch when on a cattle boat, but as long as nothing's going to waste, don't see an issue with it. Why not post up your own report and show us how you've done better?
I think his report is that his right nut sack itched slightly more than his left. He took the risk and scratched the right one for 3 more hours than the left. It worked out well for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.