Pinhead
Mar 17, 2012
San Diego
Name
Ben
Boat
Creek co tube.
Headed out yesterday 7/16
On the Malihini it was a last second reservation for me and I got my setups ready and got ready to go. My setups were:
20-40lb penn custom 8' bait stick matched with a shimano torium 20 300 yards of 65lb spectra and a 50 yard topshot of 30lb mono.

Jig stick 9' 20-50 matched with a saltist 40 bg with 40lb mono.

Phenix 809 abyss matched with a daiwa lexa 400 with 50lb braid and a 6' leader of 30lb.

Extra rods: bass rod
Okuma guide select 7'11 xh and a 20-50 six footer.

I got all my gear together and actually wrapped the penn rod the night before hoping the expoxy would dry by the time I started fishing. I got to the h and m office early hoping to be able to get a good spot for rods and gear. Checked in got #10 and decided to take a seat before the boat left.
6:00 am
The boat untied and made it's way to the barge. We got a bunch of absolute candy sized sardines. 5-6 inches with the occasional mackerel. I was really impressed with the bait and got even more excited know they were catching Tuna and yellowtail offshore. I expected yellowtail because the boat had not seen many tuna the day before and caught pretty much all yellows. Tied on 2/0 fly liners and took a nap till we got on em.
7:30
First stop we were tuna bit!!!! Boils free-swimmers and fish all around the boat and in the chum. First cast out 1...2...3.....4 thump 1...2...3 levered up and cranked onto my 1st tuna of the day from then on the action was non stop. We stayed on the fish for at least 45 minutes. Catching beautiful tuna left and right. Each of our morning spots produced tuna 10-20 pounds. Later in the day we got a few yellows on the paddies. I was lucky enough to get a yellow as well as 8 yellowfin. I had my limit by 9:30 and everyone on the boat caught at least one fish. It was the absolute best anyone had seen on a 3/4 day and people were saying possibly the best tuna fishing on a 3/4 day to date. We layed the fish out on the deck and it looked like we were on our way in from. 1.5 day. The tuna were relentless and bit on live bait, dart jigs and even the skip jig I got my first fish on the dart or doink jig and my first strike on the skip. I had a fish on the skip jig until it came unbuttoned. Great trip only pictures can do justice
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ended up with about 120 yellowfin and 20 yellowtail I lost 5 fish but had limits so was ok.
Thanks to the Malihini crew and h and m landing I will be back soon for some more of the hot action. Also special thanks to Mr. Steve Carson from Penn for providing the rod I wrapped which caught most of my fish.
Thanks
-Ben

image.jpg

Upvote 0

@-EZ

Fail, try again.
Apr 9, 2007
San Diego, CA.
Name
Max
Boat
Trophy Pro, @-EZ
When you came out of the bay, which way did they turn the boat? Or did they? Did you pay attention?

Shit, sorry bout that. Great report and pics. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

salty nuts

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 2, 2004
Camarillo
Name
Tim Mohawk
Boat
25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
Cute little things

Upvote 0

vegasandre

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
That may be one of the best 3/4 trips in recent history. What a year.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
That's awesome fishing right there.I picture lots of beer and high fives on the ride...short ride,home.

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Jeez, a day ago I thought fishing was ended forever LOL (ie BFT Closure South).

Thanks for the report. Plenty of guys should have just had their faith restored :).

Last edited:
Reactions: GOFAST88
Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Memories being made every day, that's just stupid good tuna fishing!!!!

Upvote 0